Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: AAL vs Shackle
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:31 pm 
What do you guys think as far as aal vs shackles for the rear of an xj on a small lift, 2-3in. Its nothing that would be permanent, jus to give it a little higher stance and to clear some 31's a buddy is gonna be selling. Which one would be better?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:03 pm 
Jeeper in IN

You are going to get some more from the AAL. The shackle will only give you a 3/4 inch lift. So if you think that you will need to go higher than that you will have to get an AAL. You can go and get a donar leaf pack from the junk yard, add the leafs from that pack and for as much as the shackles you get more of a lift from that. Thats what I would do.

I miss the days that they made toys that could kill a kid.

Support Our Troops!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:18 pm 
Male nurse in training

AAL's will start sagging quick on cherokees it seems like. (Used to own a cherokee) What are you going to use for the front? Coil spacers? I never did the AAL everybody always warned me against it and I kept the stock Shackles on it. I would just put a whole new leaf pack in there if you can. Its up to you though, AAL will get you by for awhile.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:23 pm 
Jeeper in IN

95YJMan wrote:
AAL's will start sagging quick on cherokees it seems like. (Used to own a cherokee) What are you going to use for the front? Coil spacers? I never did the AAL everybody always warned me against it and I kept the stock Shackles on it. I would just put a whole new leaf pack in there if you can. Its up to you though, AAL will get you by for awhile.

True AAL will sag. I put some on my old XJ and they did sag some but not bad. I have some on my new XJ and don't know how much they have sagged or if they are. I think that if you are going bigger I would invest in the full pack. Only wanting enough for 2-3 inches save you money until you decide that you want to go bigger and then put the money into full packs. You will want to go bigger, no sence in buying full leaf packs from the start. AAL will do fine for now I think.

Don't make the mistake in investing in rought country AAL like I did the first time. My rusty's AAL on the new XJ is a much better leaf and ride. The rough country was never level, not even from the moment it was put on, and was just as the title stated ROUGH.

Support Our Troops!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:31 pm 
Male nurse in training

It also depends on how old and worn your leaf springs are from the start. If your talking about doing this to that 97 it looks like it still sits pretty good in the back. What lift are you lookin at? RE makes a good budget boost kit for cherokees.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:09 am 
Cliché Master

are the shackles on the rear of a cherokee the tension style?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:46 am 
Tang Soo

to run 31s on an XJ

Rough Country 3in kit from jcwhitney

new front coils
aal and a small block in the rear

all for around 100 bucks...

done this lift twice
would do it agaiin on another xj in a heartbeat!

it even sits a little high in the rear...and i've done enough that the lastest lift should've sagged by now

mac 'best bang for the buck' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:30 am 
well im not doin this for a permanent lift. this is jus to get me by so i can feel a little more confident off road and look a little better than stock. I eventually wanna go bigger, hopefully within a year or so. Thats when ill buy all new packs and springs. For now i was just figuring spring spacers in the front with either the shackle or aal in the rear, this way it stays cheap and holds me over. If i get donor springs from a yard like was suggested, what all do ya do to get lift, just start adding them leaf by leaf till it sits level with the front? Doesnt sound too bad of an idea, and cheap, which is what i like to hear! However, ive heard often that aals do sag the rear packs, will doing this also sag them? Thanks for all your help guys. Oh, and today is the day i find out whether or not i get that 97 XJ. Wish me luck lol

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:02 pm 
Paul Bunyan

um....what are AAL's?

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:16 pm 
a naked man tit in a highschool locker room

Gump01 wrote:
um....what are AAL's?

A-add
A-a
L-leaf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:24 pm 
Paul Bunyan

ohhhh-ok

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:57 am 
Jeeper in IN

Yes AAL's will sag all of the leafs IF they sag. But as you stated you want to go bigger eventually and will buy full leaf packs at that time, I would not worry about the sag; might not ever even happen. As far as a write up on the Junk yard leaf packs give me a sec to find something.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=56
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/h ... _boost.htm
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFrontSpacer.htm
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoMainLeaf.htm

I would personally not do this one, but it is an option:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearSpacer.htm

I think that is what you are looking for.

Support Our Troops!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:39 am 
I think i might go that way with the temp. lift. Just gotta find some donor XJ leaf packs. Im not sure if any yards around here have many jeeps at all though. I kno we have never been able to find any wranglers, but ive never looked for cherokees before. Ill have to check into it. However, they only made 2" kits in those articles, but im sure if i just add more leafs from the donor packs that i can get the 3" i want.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:22 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I know that Mills has 2-3. They are in the North West corner of the yard if I remember right. I took the front seat from one of them. :tu2: I would think that if you keep adding leafs you could get a little higher. On my old XJ I was riding with 31 street tires with NO lift. It rubbed when turning, but was fine in the rear. I wouldn't have gone offroading with it like that though.

Support Our Troops!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:51 am 
haha, well this thing is def. gonna be goin offroad. Ive seen videos of xjs with 2 inch lifts seemingly clearing 31s but i still want at least 3 for now. Only prob with mills is theyve always been dicks to me, and they try to seriously overcharge me a lot. One time i wanted to buy just the y-pipe off a monte calro z34 so i could make mine dual exhaust. they quoted me 15 bucks, so i went, cut it off and went to pay, he then tried chargin me 100 bucks for it. After some arguing i got it for 15.99....stupid.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech