Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: chains vs. straps
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:05 am 
Paul Bunyan

i've heard the argument that when anchoring a load or pulling someone out, use straps because they are stronger, they allow for more stretching, and (i do agree with this one) if it snaps-its safer than a chain breaking. My question is-if this is true-why do tractor-trailers anchor their heavier loads down with chains, loggers use chains to haul their loads, and when farmers and tractor-trailer operators need to pull something out-they use chains? What's up with that?

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:23 am 
dont know all the reasoning behind it, but what i do know is that i carry about 5-10 straps and they all together weigh less than just one chain of an equal length to one of the straps. So id say its easier to carry straps, they also can be wrapped up an lot smaller than a chain. Just my $.02

Post subject: Limitations?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:19 pm 
spackled

Just a theory. The kind of loads that we can generate with a Jeep on a strap or chain versus a tractor pulling something or the weight of load being tied down on a semi is peanuts to coconuts. They would be using larger chains and the strength ratings of chain increases much faster as you step up in size as opposed to the extra strength found in a larger strap. To put it another way, as the comperable load ratings increase, the advantages of straps over chain become less of a benefit. There is also the longevity and cost savings of chain over straps in an application where repeated use would damage a strap and chain would last much longer. I have nothing to back this up, just a theory.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:22 pm 
Feeds people vomit

I've never heard the argument about strapping down things...only for tugging/recovery...

what it boils down to in my mind is, if you have to yank on someone/something, you NEED a strap, if you're recovery rig is bigger/heavier, or well anchored and you don't need to jerk it, then a chain or steel winch cable is fine....it's only when you get into tugging or jerking that the solid, non stretchy chain or winch cable becomes a problem.

so for strappingn loads down, either works fine, no difference there.

if tugging is involved, use a strap (recovery strap, not a rachtet strap...)

if no tugging, just winching or dragging by driving slowly, then a chain is acceptable (but like nobarrierz said, they're heavy to drag around)

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:20 pm 
Paul Bunyan

Chuck wrote:
I've never heard the argument about strapping down things...only for tugging/recovery...

what it boils down to in my mind is, if you have to yank on someone/something, you NEED a strap, if you're recovery rig is bigger/heavier, or well anchored and you don't need to jerk it, then a chain or steel winch cable is fine....it's only when you get into tugging or jerking that the solid, non stretchy chain or winch cable becomes a problem.

so for strappingn loads down, either works fine, no difference there.

if tugging is involved, use a strap (recovery strap, not a rachtet strap...)

if no tugging, just winching or dragging by driving slowly, then a chain is acceptable (but like nobarrierz said, they're heavy to drag around)

thank you all!! (as for heaviness-I see it as another way out of exercising...build muscle from working :tu2: )

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Also to add to this, when chaining stuff down like logs and heavy loads, I think that the chains would be better. I think this because the chain is under a constant strain and will not strech or flex, where as a strap would. Plus as stated before, if you were to use a strap to hold strap stuff down, it would not begin to frey a lot faster then a chain would rust or break. Just my .02

I miss the days that they made toys that could kill a kid.

Support Our Troops!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:18 pm 
Wears purple gloves

Chains don't wear down like a strap would. I used to pull a goose neck trailer for work and I ALWAYS used chains. Little to no chance of a chain breaking on a load full of concrete forms. Chains do require more checking though.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
1992 Toyota 4runner []
[color=#FFFFFF]1983 Jeep CJ5 258 I6 4 speed

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:48 pm 
trained to drive the choo choo

Chains are rated for a higher weight than straps, not to mention that whenever you see a semi with coils he is using chains since they are rated heavier, plus there is no chance of fraying on sharp corners.

As far as strapping a jeep to a trailer, it's personal preference. I've used both and straps are a lot easier to work with.

My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech