Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: New BFG tire with a high spot in the tread?
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:54 am 
Jeeper in IN

I bought a tire that the seller claimed was new and when I got it it looked brand new with the white lettering still on the tread, but after driving on it found out just how bad it was. Took it to a tire shop and checked to see if it was just out of balance only to find out it has a bulge/high spot in the tread that makes it unusable for any normal driving.

Can this tire be used just on the trail with it aired down and not on a road at speeds greater than say 20 mph?
Too dangerous to use at any speed?
Even though it is aired down will I get lots of vibrations when I need any extra tire spin?

Just unclear if I should send it to the shreader or if there is anything I can use it for.

The seller won't answer my e-mails, so I'm figuring he knew it was bad when I bought it.

Post subject: Re: New BFG tire with a high spot in the tread?
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:23 pm 
Male nurse in training

Thats weird, I've never heard of a high spot in the tread. The only thing I could think of is maybe the rubber got burn't at the factory because it stayed in the mill to long, it was then booked, then sent to the tire builders and the tire builder then proceeded to build with it. How bad does it look?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:24 pm 
Thread Necromancer

a broken belt maybe?

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:50 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I'm going to take it to a BFG dealer to see what they can come up with.
It's very strange since the white was still on the tire along with the little nubs. I'm wondering how a belt could be broken in what looks like a brand new tire with no miles on it. Hopefully they can shed some light on it and possibly some kind of deal on a new tire to replace it.
You could see the high spot that was at least 2 foot long in the tread area while it was spinning on the balancer.
The tire looks normal until you spin it on the balancer or try driving on it. I'm glad I had it on the back or the drive home would have been a nightmare. I was in a huge rush or I would have turned around right then and had them check it out. I think I put 4 very shakey miles on it.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:10 pm 
probably a broken belt. Ive had several of those on tires on my blazer when i had it and my car now. Dont drive on it

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 am 
Jeeper in IN

Hey the seller got back in touch with me and is willing to give me a refund, so at least I'm not out of al my money on it.
Now I just need to cut it up and send him proof I destroyed it properly. Now to find a shop that can cut it up for me.
The tire is several years old according to the date on the side and past the warranty period.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:00 am 
Thread Necromancer

The Idiot Magnet wrote:
Hey the seller got back in touch with me and is willing to give me a refund, so at least I'm not out of al my money on it.
meow I just need to cut it up and send him proof I destroyed it properly. meow to find a shop that can cut it up for me.
The tire is several years old according to the date on the side and past the warranty period.

sawzall

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech