Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: hub removal
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:05 pm 
Tang Soo

got 90k on the 2006 megacab diesel and a grinding noise coming from the front.
checked the front unibearing hubs and it appears there is movement up and down.
decide that hub replacement is the way to go.
rotors are shot too.
decide to get hubs, rotors, and pads...
$741 bucks later I have them...(and I got a deal on the hubs 209.00ea vs 339.00ea)
Rotors fight all the way off. Torch and big hammer gets them off...

Hubs, which had the four bolts that held them on removed prior to taking the rotor off, haven't budged...flipped rotor around and put it back on using the rotor part to hit for better leverage...nothing...

these unibearings are much like the d30 unibearings, but I have never ever had them fight me like this...

so if you have a suggestion, i'm game...

going to try to get to it tommorrow and see what I can come up with...

Thanks
mac 'least the garage has heat' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post subject: Re: hub removal
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:19 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Have you seen this?

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm

Any way to adapt that idea to what you're doing?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:05 pm 
mr. snuffleupagus

macgyvr wrote:
got 90k on the 2006 megacab diesel and a grinding noise coming from the front.
checked the front unibearing hubs and it appears there is movement up and down.
decide that hub replacement is the way to go.
rotors are shot too.
decide to get hubs, rotors, and pads...
$741 bucks later I have them...(and I got a deal on the hubs 209.00ea vs 339.00ea)
Rotors fight all the way off. Torch and big hammer gets them off...

Hubs, which had the four bolts that held them on removed prior to taking the rotor off, haven't budged...flipped rotor around and put it back on using the rotor part to hit for better leverage...nothing...

these unibearings are much like the d30 unibearings, but I have never ever had them fight me like this...

so if you have a suggestion, i'm game...

going to try to get to it tommorrow and see what I can come up with...

Thanks
mac 'least the garage has heat' gyvr

I had to use a air hammer on mine, and on anyone i worked on

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:04 pm 
Thread Necromancer

BFH...

Too bad I wouldn't have known sooner, I recalled seeing a thread on www.CumminsForum.com where someone found out how to buy those hubs direct from Chryslers supplier for cheap...
Anyhow, you may find some info on Cummins Forum or www.DieselTruckResource.com Those seem to be the two best sites, that are free, dealing with Cummins/Dodge trucks. Oh... and maybe www.RamChargerCentral.com or http://dodgeram.org/

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:34 pm 
Tang Soo

thanks for the stu off road link...that maybe something to try...

kennedy i did shop around for hubs and most guys said they were getting them for around 250 ea. napa first told me that they were 339 and they had two in stock for their premium line. i went there and bs'd with them and got them for 209 and they had them in stock...rotors were 100 a piece and the pads were 50 or 60 bucks...i bought the best of everything that they had...

i'm going to check the cummins threads again tonight for more tips...

everything that i've ever had to do with d30 hubs to get them out i've tried with these and nothing has budged them...and i'm using some big hammers...i don't have an air hammer...never needed one...but maybe i do now

thanks for the replies and keep em coming.

mac 'i will win...might take me a couple of days...' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:53 pm 
Pap's mirror

macgyvr wrote:
thanks for the stu off road link...that maybe something to try...

kennedy i did shop around for hubs and most guys said they were getting them for around 250 ea. napa first told me that they were 339 and they had two in stock for their premium line. i went there and bs'd with them and got them for 209 and they had them in stock...rotors were 100 a piece and the pads were 50 or 60 bucks...i bought the best of everything that they had...

i'm going to check the cummins threads again tonight for more tips...

everything that i've ever had to do with d30 hubs to get them out i've tried with these and nothing has budged them...and i'm using some big hammers...i don't have an air hammer...never needed one...but maybe i do meow

thanks for the replies and keep em coming.

mac 'i will win...might take me a couple of days...' gyvr

got 1 if ya need to borrow it!

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:05 pm 
Baby puncher

air hammers work wonders. give roberto a call, he's got one at the house

mud "we had this much trouble removing my d30 hub at toppers" puppy

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:13 pm 
mister wiskers

Air hammer.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 pm 
Ill second or third the air hammer. When i did the one on my d30 we had to use an air hammer and a regular hammer simultaneously. On some of the Pacificas and a few GM trucks and suvs weve had issue getting them off. Used a assortment of hammers, pullers, etc. to do the job. On some of the pacificas when i worked at odz we had 2 people with air hammers and one with a sledge all hitting it at the same time and it still played hard to get out. Ive got a pretty good air hammer too your welcome to borrow if ya wanna give'er a go

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:55 pm 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

give me a call tomorrow, i will swing my air hammer by... it's a long barrel and works well. i knocked mine out in about 5 mins with it. air hammer is the way to go.... :tu2:

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:05 am 
Tang Soo

thanks for the replies...

paps hooked me up with his air hammer this afternoon. didn't get a chance to try it yet, but planning on giving it a shot friday afternoon/evening...robert i may need ya if i think its going to take two to get it off...we'll see...

mac 'puts all the d30 hubs i've done to shame' gyvr

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:23 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

When you go to put the new one in, make sure you anti-seize the HELL out of the part that contacts the business end!

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:34 am 
Thread Necromancer

If you're good with a torch, you could cut them out.....

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:54 am 
Tang Soo

didn't work on it saturday but plan to sunday afternoon...got the drivers side out with cutoff wheel on grinder, chisels, big hammers, and air hammer...took a total of 3 to 4 hours...

started on the passengers side...ran out of time, hope to get pass side off sunday...

yes i have a whole bottle of antisleeze...

and probably have to change ujoints too...

mac 'what a mess' gyvr

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:12 am 
Tang Soo

got the pass side hub off sunday afternoon...i fought with it for a couple of hours...

thanks to sparky and paps for the use of the air hammers...

the trick ended up being to cut behind the ears of the hubs with a cutoff wheel on the grinder and then mashing chisels in with a hammer to break it free...then putting the rotor on backwards and smashing it with a big slege hammer...

going to attack the ujoints monday...the initial indication is that they are going to have to be cut out with the torch...

thanks all for the help and suggestions...

mac 'almost gonna be like a new front end' gyvr

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:40 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Yep... I think that I'll take mine apart this summer and antiseize everything while its all still new...

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:43 pm 
what it was before for all i care

kennedy wrote:
Yep... I think that I'll take mine apart this summer and antiseize everything while its all still new...

I may have just missed it but have you posted any pics of the said new truck of yours? What did you get...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:52 pm 
Thread Necromancer

chaz wrote:
kennedy wrote:

I may have just missed it but have you posted any pics of the said new truck of yours? What did you get...

not yet, I'll work on that though...

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:28 pm 
Tang Soo

kennedy wrote:

the ujoints were all dried out...replaced both...had to cut them out with the torch...replaced them. bought stock in antisleeze and coated the hubs, rotors prior to reinstalling...just got pads/calipers to put back on and reseal/fill the front diff
with expensive mobile 1 75/90...almost done...

Kennedy...like i told you on the phone...pull it apart and antisleeze it all...it will save you headaches later...hopefully one winter hasn't made it too late...

mac 'have two truck payments of work into the front axle' gyvr

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:38 pm 
Paul Bunyan

My driver's side front end is popping something horrible whenever I turn left, and I think its the wheel bearings. After all the trouble you've gone through, I think I may go ahead and leave it at the shop tomorrow since it is my DD. This sucks!!

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:16 pm 
Tang Soo

popping i would guess more towards the axle ujoint...but to get to that, you have to get the hubs and rotors off...

mac 'just noticed my drivers side front shock is leaking' gyvr

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 pm 
Paul Bunyan

macgyvr wrote:
popping i would guess more towards the axle ujoint...but to get to that, you have to get the hubs and rotors off...

mac 'just noticed my drivers side front shock is leaking' gyvr

not to hijack yet another thread, but really? the axle u-joint? If I get the steering near center to all the way left, and rock the steering back and forth it'll pop. Also, if I stop hard or completely, then accelerate - it'll pop. As far as I can tell, its only on the driver's side.

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:08 am 
Thread Necromancer

ball joints?

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech