Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Major Steering Issue
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:52 am 
short bus

Does anyone know of a place I can take my Jeep that deals with lift kits. When it is windy I need three hands to keep it on the road. I continue to hear so many different fixes. I want to know the right one. Any help would be great.

Post subject: Re: Major Steering Issue
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:00 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Thats not really that uncommon when its really windy... Think about it, you're driving a big brick on wheels.
That said though, I don't know of any place that could look at it. You're in Ft. Wayne right? Maybe some of the guys on here that are more familiar with lifts and what not could give ya a hand.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:03 pm 
what it was before for all i care

not bashing and not saying there isnt any thing wrong, but keep in mind you are driving a lifted box so if there is a decent cross wind it is just going to act like one big sail and push you all over the road. I would say if you dont experience it when there is no wind there is nothing wrong.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:25 pm 
short bus

Highrlr wrote:
Does anyone know of a place I can take my Jeep that deals with lift kits. When it is windy I need three hands to keep it on the road. I continue to hear so many different fixes. I want to know the right one. Any help would be great.

Let me clearify the issue. Not just when it's windy but if I hit any kind of uneven highway it's all over the road. I'm bieng told to put on adjustable lower control arms and a high steer kit. I don't want to spend any more money if it is not gonna fix the problem!!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Your caster angle could be off.
Also, do you have a drop pitman arm and a drop track bar bracket? If not, you need to.
Your steering drag link and your track bar need to be as close to parrallel as possible, if they aren't, it will cause all sorts of steering issues.
Thanks for the better clarification. Also, be sure your ball joints and unit bearings are in good shape.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:37 pm 
what it was before for all i care

Highrlr wrote:
Highrlr wrote:

Let me clearify the issue. Not just when it's windy but if I hit any kind of uneven highway it's all over the road. I'm bieng told to put on adjustable lower control arms and a high steer kit. I don't want to spend any more money if it is not gonna fix the problem!!!!

how much lift did you put on it? and x2 on what kennedy said about drag link and trac bar. post a pic of trac bar and drag link and also a side shot of the lower control arms.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:02 pm 
spackled

I believe there was a "Help" thread on this same issue. A few recomendations for the Fort Wayne area that came up there were;
Stemens on Wells Street, 483-4030, apparently the do alignement work for ProTrucks.
Tire Brokers on Wells Street, 484-9588.
Gouty's
Fox & Fox, (maybe expensive though).

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 pm 
Pap's mirror

AMXtogo wrote:
I believe there was a "Help" thread on this same issue. A few recomendations for the Fort Wayne area that came up there were;
Stemens on Wells Street, 483-4030, apparently the do alignement work for ProTrucks.
Tire Brokers on Wells Street, 484-9588.
Gouty's
Fox & Fox, (maybe expensive though).

yes kelly there is a list of shops in the help. and yes i have been told that stemens kinda specialize in lifted and 4x4's.

he put i think a 4.5 maybe a 5" and has 37's on it.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:07 pm 
short bus

chaz wrote:
Highrlr wrote:
Highrlr wrote:

how much lift did you put on it? and x2 on what kennedy said about drag link and trac bar. post a pic of trac bar and drag link and also a side shot of the lower control arms.

Ok here are some pictures Hope this helps. Tell me what i'm missing

Attachment:
Jeep Front End 002 25.jpg
Jeep Front End 002 25.jpg [ 55.63 KiB | Viewed 9462 times ]
Attachment:
Jeep Front End 003 25.jpg
Jeep Front End 003 25.jpg [ 42.56 KiB | Viewed 9462 times ]
Attachment:
Jeep Front End 004 25.jpg
Jeep Front End 004 25.jpg [ 51.74 KiB | Viewed 9462 times ]
Attachment:
Jeep Front End 006 25.jpg
Jeep Front End 006 25.jpg [ 52.63 KiB | Viewed 9462 times ]
Attachment:
Jeep Front End 007 25.jpg
Jeep Front End 007 25.jpg [ 46.54 KiB | Viewed 9462 times ]
Attachment:
Jeep Front End 008 25.jpg
Jeep Front End 008 25.jpg [ 38.84 KiB | Viewed 9462 times ]

Attachments:
Jeep Front End 001 25.jpg
Jeep Front End 001 25.jpg [ 48.8 KiB | Viewed 9462 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:14 pm 
from what i understand you pretty much did what odz did to that first jk they lifted right? they didnt really do the best with that thing. made it look cool but thats about it. it wasnt a very good lift, and the control arms definitely werent long enough. Your castor is prolly all outta whack, which is gonna cause the front tires to constantly wanna come around and give ya all kinds of steering issue.

Even with that fixed though, its still gonna be all over the road. nature of the beast with wide tires and a box in a windstorm.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Definitely get your castor checked out. That'll solve the "crappy shopping cart" issue and make it much more driveable. Another thing that'll help is some form of high steering and/or a dropped pitman arm. You have a pretty good drag link angle.. that'll cause bump steer.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 am 
spackled

Alpine wrote:
Definitely get your castor checked out. That'll solve the "crappy shopping cart" issue and make it much more driveable. Another thing that'll help is some form of high steering and/or a dropped pitman arm. You have a pretty good drag link angle.. that'll cause bump steer.

word, exactly what he said...

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:53 pm 
Tang Soo

you sure those pics were of a jeep? I didn't see any spots of fluid on the driveway...

mac 'caster' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:02 pm 
Smokey rolls

im not that good when is comes to wranglers but i know that xj's when lifted much the track bar bracket should be replaced the factory mount is cheap and flexes alot wich causes wandering around on the road and the dreaded death wobble

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:48 pm 
spackled

xjtrey wrote:
im not that good when is comes to wranglers but i know that xj's when lifted much the track bar bracket should be replaced the factory mount is cheap and flexes alot wich causes wandering around on the road and the dreaded death wobble

From the pics, it looks like the track bar bracket has been extended and reinforced by welding in a substantial addition, doesn't look like it should move much.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:51 pm 
AMXtogo wrote:
xjtrey wrote:

From the pics, it looks like the track bar bracket has been extended and reinforced by welding in a substantial addition, doesn't look like it should move much.

you talkin about in the 4th an 5th pic down? Where it mounts to the frame? I believe that is stock

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 pm 
mr. snuffleupagus

nobarrierz wrote:
AMXtogo wrote:
xjtrey wrote:

you talkin about in the 4th an 5th pic down? Where it mounts to the frame? I believe that is stock

I have heard alot of them break on the jk's...you may want to check the rear track bar and mount all the same.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:01 am 
Thread Necromancer

I beleive that a broken trackbar would give different driving/handling characteristics than what he is describing. I think I would lean more towards a caster angle issues. Which I know on the front of TJs could only be corrected with adjustable upper control arms, if the aftermarket lowers weren't preset right from the factory. q

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech