Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: W T F are adjusters
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:15 am 
Took the Z71 in to Tom Steele today to get my alignment done.Just spent tooo much money on new meats to chew them up, and tom steele and fox&fox are the only places in town that can align the 24's.They called and told me I needed inner tie rods and my ''adjusters'' were seized up,WTF are they talking about adjusters?After looking at the first page of the estimate it says alignment $69.95,"free up adjusters"$156.00.The inner tie rods that's cool I'll probably do those my self but I'm not paying $237 for a damn alignment. If anyone knows what they are talking about please help me out with this one.Oh yeah they tried to get me for shocks too.So a grand total for shocks,inner tie rods,and alignment about :eek2: $1250 :eek2: out the door.If anyone knows what adjusters I need to free up I would greatly appreciate it. :flipoff2: shops,some of you remember it was'nt that long ago Midas had me putting a water pump in my jeep and all it needed was a better belt.

Post subject: Re: W T F are adjusters
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:45 am 
Thread Necromancer

Its probably the turn-buckle used to adjust thier length that they are reffering to. Usually a little blue wrench will heat them up and free them.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:50 am 
Thread Necromancer

got to thinking, there may be "cam" adjusters for your A-arms, not sure on a two wheel drive.
But since they mentioned tie rods, I'd guess its the turnbuckles.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:48 am 
whoa, easy with the :flipoff2: shops man, some of us work in them. Just cuz you had a bad rap with one doesnt mean we are all like that. As far as adjusters, its normally the tie rods that get bound up. usually some heat frees them up. Ive never charged anyone for freein them up though. I guess if it took some excessive amount of time we might.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:44 am 
Sorry bud did'nt mean to offend you,I know there are some good tech's out there, but I have had some bad luck with alot of them. Thanks for the input fellaz,I appreciate it.If anyone wants to help me put inner tie rods and shocks on the ol Z this weekend I'll buy the beer.Not lookin for someone to do the work just point me in the right direction if possible.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:41 am 
Thread Necromancer

Just a thought, you said there are only two places that will align it with the 24s, although more work on your part, why not just swap the stockers back on and take it to a more well-reguarded alignment shop, if you are having issues with the only two that will do it with the 24s?

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:13 am 
I was told that the alignment would be different with the stocks on it from the shop that does the alignments for protrux. Protrux said this shop would do it with the stocks and then I could put the 24's back on and it would be good,when I called them it was a different story.?place on wells.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:05 pm 
Thread Necromancer

I'm no alignment expert, but I don't really see how just changing out the tires/rims would make a difference?

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:14 pm 
That is what I was thinking, They are both about 32'' from top to bottom so I don't see why it would matter.I've had alot of cars with alot of different sizes of after market wheels from 13's to 24's and have had people tell me to align with stocks and people tell me to do it with the after market.This is something I'am totally lost on?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:06 pm 
Just called over there at Tom Steele to ask the alignment guy what freeing up adjusters meant.He was clueless :doh: the only thing he could say was''maybe the nut in between the inner and outer tie rod bring it by and maybe I can figure it out''.Just thought it is kinda funny that he don't even know what these are.When I told him the alignment alone was gonna be $237 he just got real quiet real quick and did'nt understand why it was so much.So I'm gonna run it by there after work so he can try to figure this out.I feel like they are trying to twak me over the head?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:27 pm 
what it was before for all i care

Z71 should have leafs on the back right? So my question is why are they charging you $70 for a front end alignment? We charge like $35 or $40 for that. And i dont see why you wouldnt be able to put on your stock wheels to get a alignment.

edit: just talked to our alignment guy and he said that there is no reason you cant put your stock wheels on. But on a side note we can align your truck with the 24s on it if you want. The alignment is 42.95

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:33 pm 
yes it is only a front end alignment,I guess it is because of the plus size wheels which is crap.I'm going there right now to try and figure this shit out.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:34 pm 
what it was before for all i care

well if you decide to take it else where let me know... :tu2:

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:41 pm 
OK fellaz here is the scoop. I go to tom steele to talk to the alignment guy,he is out gettin parts and the shop closes in 30 min?The guy at the counter calls him and asks him if he could show me what the adjusters were,the guy on the phone does'nt know what to say(I could hear him)so the guy behind the counter goes out side and says ''you can't see them cause of the wheel but take it some where else so they can show you''WTF :doh: So I cruise over to patriot tire for another estimate.They pull onto the lift and had me come look at it,the guy said it's the steering box and idler arm inners are good. And they say they can align it with the factory wheels and it will be fine.$485 steering box,idler arm,alignment.

On my way home I ran into a guy I know Joel that works at tire brokers,asked him what the adjusters were and he shows them to me.They are on the upper control arm and he said getting them lose is part of the job and can be done with pb blaster and a little wrenching.As far as the front end parts he said to take it to tire brokers in the morning and have them look at it.So I asked him about the stock vs. factory on the alignment and he said align with the after market or they will chew the tires up.WTF :doh: I guess I go to tire brokers in the morning to see what they say,fix the issue my self,and then to Fox&Fox for alignment. If any of you guys that do this stuff wanna take a look at it tonight or tomarrow that would be cool.I really want to fix it but with out knowing what to fix to make it right it kinda sucks.Truck really does'nt have any shakes in the wheel at any speed or any noises or nothing just pulls to the right a little? Thanks again :2up:

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:01 pm 
bring it out to my house tomorrow. We'll take a look. You don't need to have your 24's on there to align it. your factory wheels would be best, and you won't chew up your tires. when cars have wheels at work that they are having trouble getting the alignment heads onto, they'll take some wheels off something on the lot. We'll fix what needs fixed at my shop, then we'll have the alignment done at my shop, so that if there are any issues, we can fix them while it's there. (That and they won't try to screw you into buying more parts than you actually need.) Get some pb blaster, and douche all the steering parts real good tonight, and give me a call in the morning.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:55 pm 
Philbert you da man.I really apperciate you lookin out for people you barely know,there are'nt to many people out there like you bro, Thanks a million, I'll call you in the morning and we'll figure this shit out :tu2:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:07 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

I've had wretched experiences with Tom Steele as well. I would say to avoid them at all costs. Tire Brokers seems like an honest place though. The guy there won't talk to you like you are an idiot. If they find something, they'll mention it to you - but they won't try to bend you over.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:06 pm 
Well you were right Alpine,Went to tire brokers put it on the rack and after shaking it down,he showed me a little play in the pitman arm.The steering box is leaking a little but he said it's nothing right now.The only loose part on the whole front end is the pitman arm, and he said you can do that your self, and we can align it with your factory rims and it will be fine.I'm glad I finally found a shop that can look past big fancy wheels and be honest with me.I know the economy is bad and people need jobs but some of these shops are trying to shaft people.So monday me and phil are going to pop that thing off of there and I'm gonna get it aligned at tire brokers.Thanks for your input on this problem fellaz. :2up:

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech