Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Worth the money??
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:10 pm 
freezes his batteries off

I am thinking about axle upgrading over the winter. It is worth the money to upgrade the D30 and D35 with better insides and lockers or try to find a good deal on D44 or other axle. Are the housings of the D30 and D35 worth it also. I want to go to Moab in the next year or two, but definitely want lockers for the trip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, would like to remove the t-case lowering brackets from the skid and try to make it flat. Is it absolutly necessary to go with the sye and cv drive shaft or would the stock shaft still work? I have the Novak transfer case shifter installed, so I won't have a problem with the shifter. I would have to do the 1" body lift also, right? It is hopefully getting to be time to make this a more capable offroad Jeep!! THANKS!

Post subject: Re: Worth the money??
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 pm 
Thread Necromancer

I ran moab with stock axles, factory rear locker, I had alot of fun. What size tires are you wanting to run? If you don't plan on going larger than 33's then your stock axles will be fine. Throw a lunch box in the front and you'll be able to go just about everywhere.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:45 pm 
mr. snuffleupagus

kennedy wrote:
I ran moab with stock axles, factory rear locker, I had alot of fun. What size tires are you wanting to run? If you don't plan on going larger than 33's then your stock axles will be fine. Throw a lunch box in the front and you'll be able to go just about everywhere.

what he said

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:02 pm 
what it was before for all i care

Sure it is, If you want to avoid all the other hassels of swaping axles. It all comes down to how involved you want to get with your project and how much down time you want or dont want. Either route you go your going to be spending a decent chunk of money. I would start by pricing everything that you would want to do to the d30 and d35 and then price everything to do axle swaps. That may be a deciding factor. Another cosideration may be just doing a rear axle swap, and leave the d30.

I currently am running a d30 and d35 with lock rites and have no complaints what so ever. I have beat the crap out of it that badlands several times this year and have yet to break anything. I ran 33" MT's for a trip and 35"MTR's the other trips.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 pm 
Dirty tranny

great ? stomper i may be thinking along the same lines as you down the road :tu2:

if you need any help at all i would love to participate in this mod of urs it would help me for future mods on my rig
you got my # call me so i can see how you went about deciding on what you want to do and why you ended up doing whatever you end up doing

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:43 am 

Right now I have 33x12.5 on the Jeep. I would like to run 35s if they will fit after the possible body lift for the tummy tuck. I just don't want to have to hack my Jeep to make them fit. I like the way it looks! I was wondering about just doing lockers and regearing with the rest being factory. Even at just that I would be looking at $2000+/- for new parts. I don't want to climb Mt. Everest or any thing like that!!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:44 am 

99stompertj wrote:
Right meow I have 33x12.5 on the Jeep. I would like to run 35s if they will fit after the possible body lift for the tummy tuck. I just don't want to have to hack my Jeep to make them fit. I like the way it looks! I was wondering about just doing lockers and regearing with the rest being factory. Even at just that I would be looking at $2000+/- for new parts. I don't want to climb Mt. Everest or any thing like that!!

So take that $2000 and then include the purchase of different axles and anything else you would need to do the axle swap (brackets, wheels?, brakes? that sort of stuff).

If I was in your postion (which I am) I would upgrade the rear axle to a D44 or 8.8. And I would keep the D30, with some upgrades there is no reason it would not hold up to 35's.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:25 pm 

After some more research, I found the cheapest route, with quality parts, would be to go with Richmond Power-Trac lock right lockers. They are an auto locker for less than $260 each front and rear. I am wondering if anyone is running these and how do you like them and their performance.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:31 pm 

99stompertj wrote:
After some more research, I found the cheapest route, with quality parts, would be to go with Richmond Power-Trac lock right lockers. They are an auto locker for less than $260 each front and rear. I am wondering if anyone is running these and how do you like them and their performance.

I have lock rights front and rear in the MJ and I have been very happy with the way they perform off-road. I have not been able to put much street time on them so I cant really say much about them on the road other than when turning on pavement you pretty much have to let off the gas if it is a tighter turn (like turning onto a side street or something similar). For the price you really cant beat them.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:43 pm 

Thanks, Chaz!! I have found, in the mean time, a few write-ups about the Powertrax No-Slip. It is very similar to the lock right, but has much better street manners. They are less than $100 more than the lock right, and seem worth it to me since mine is a daily driver. I am going to check around and see what best price I can find. I also have to talk my better half into deciding that I really need at least one in the rear for now!!!!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:32 pm 

You wont be disappointed one bit, it is a night and day differnce wheeling with lockers. my next step is gears since im so under powered with the 4popper.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:37 pm 

Called Quadratech, mainly to see if they would price match another web site I found with the locker over $100 cheaper. He asked what tire size I had and told me that the locker would be wore out in two years running 33s. I told him it is my daily driver in town, but I have a trailer for long hauls to offroading! He still recommends that I get a full blown locker. Yeah for three times the $$. I didn't even get to tell him the price I found, but he said if I decided he to get one anyway he could do the price match. I think he thought I was going to order it from the other place. Do you or anyone else think it would be wore out that fast??

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:33 am 
Dirty tranny

chaz wrote:
99stompertj wrote:
Right meow I have 33x12.5 on the Jeep. I would like to run 35s if they will fit after the possible body lift for the tummy tuck. I just don't want to have to hack my Jeep to make them fit. I like the way it looks! I was wondering about just doing lockers and regearing with the rest being factory. Even at just that I would be looking at $2000+/- for new parts. I don't want to climb Mt. Everest or any thing like that!!

So take that $2000 and then include the purchase of different axles and anything else you would need to do the axle swap (brackets, wheels?, brakes? that sort of stuff).

If I was in your postion (which I am) I would upgrade the rear axle to a D44 or 8.8. And I would keep the D30, with some upgrades there is no reason it would not hold up to 35's.

sry :ThreadHijack: what upgrades would you do to the dana 30?

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:42 am 

I would probably just put this same style locker in it now. My first thoughts were to change the axle shafts to heavier duty, new ring and pinion to change ratio, and a lockers. They sell master kits that are between $1000-$1500 per axle that come will all these things. Even finding a good used Dana 44 and putting a locker in it would cost about that much. If the 44 didn't come from the same model Jeep, then you have to change brackets for all the suspension parts. I think putting the Powertrax in the factory setup will work for what I do off road.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:08 pm 

99stompertj wrote:
Called Quadratech, mainly to see if they would price match another web site I found with the locker over $100 cheaper. He asked what tire size I had and told me that the locker would be wore out in two years running 33s. I told him it is my daily driver in town, but I have a trailer for long hauls to offroading! He still recommends that I get a full blown locker. Yeah for three times the $$. I didn't even get to tell him the price I found, but he said if I decided he to get one anyway he could do the price match. I think he thought I was going to order it from the other place. Do you or anyone else think it would be wore out that fast??

Im sure it will have wear and tear. Make sure it gets installed properly and service your diff fluid regularly to extend its life just like anything thing else. But cant really say how long it may or may not last.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:11 pm 

tellozzy wrote:
chaz wrote:
99stompertj wrote:

sry :ThreadHijack: what upgrades would you do to the dana 30?

Steering upgrades, shaft upgrades, u-joints, beefing up control arm mounts...ect

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:01 pm 
Thread Necromancer

chaz wrote:
beefing up control arm mounts...ect

That is definately something to consider! Box and gusset those bad boys while you have the axle out, they tend to like to rip off... (don't ask me how I know)

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech