Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Boogers and shit!!, last question I swear
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:07 am 
Male nurse in training

Alright well its getting down to the wire to where I'm getting ready to buy a locker or some type for the D44. I have narrowed it down to an Aussie, but what about a full spool? I know wes runs one...the only bad thing I have heard which maybe stupid as heck is they seem to twist the spines on the shafts. Yes I know i have a 2.5L... Boogers and shit!! I don't know just wondering if a spool would be better than an Aussie or if an Aussie would be better than a spool or they are both kinda are the same so its up to me.

Also, The YJ won't be my daily driver here long, plan to get something else to daily drive, but still drive the YJ on the street everynow and then. The yj needs love to you know. Thanks for any help guys!

Post subject: Re: Boogers and shit!!, last question I swear
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:38 am 
what it was before for all i care

If you plan to drive it on the street at all then I would say stay away from the spool. I would just go with the Aussie and be done with it... :tu2:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:04 pm 
mr. snuffleupagus

Are you talking about the front? I would never put a spool in the front unless you have manual hubs, even then it would still be hard to drive, even on the trail. If its for the rear, a spool is more predictable that a locker. Most people say it wears tires faster. That is not true. My tires are wearing the same as the front. They do scrub a little on the street when turning, but its not that bad. It torque rolls a lot more with the spool. but that could be because I have a anti-rock in the front, and no rear sway bar. In the winter I do have to run it in 4 wheel drive a little more than if it was limited slip, because it wants to spin both tires. but it may be my foot too. I dont care what people say about spooling a rear. I have not had a issue running one, and it is great off-road. I got my spool for 90 bucks new on ebay, a locker is 250 and up....

As for the splines. if you are running too much tire, too much skinny pedal and too little of a axle it will twist them with a locker all the same

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:02 pm 
Thread Necromancer

If its the front, and you have manual hubs, then go for it. On the trail when both hubs are locked, it will make turning a bit tricky (think wide turns). However, I know some people that will spool the front, and when in 4x4, only lock in 1 hub (basically like running open), and just get out and lock in the other hub when/if things get tricky.
If you have manual hubs, and they are unlocked, you won't even know its there. With the 2.5, you shouldn't have to worry about putting to much power out and breaking anything on the D44, up to about 38" tires.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:04 pm 
Particle Man

Just get an ELocker. It will only be locked when you want it...

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have their shoes when you criticize them.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:22 pm 
mister wiskers

Spool it, you're on leafs and spools react the same way every time. No surprises.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech