Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: WINCH QUESTION?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:11 pm 
ok, so for the past few year my old man has been buying me a xmas gift without my mom helping. in the past i have got an air compressor, floor jack, jack stands, and many other garage musts.

well this year he went outside of the box and got me a winch for the jeep, so i dont have to call him if i get stuck asking if he knows anyone with a 4x4 to get me out. lol

the problem is that he bought me a 4500lb. winch form tractor supply and a cherokees curb weight is around 3,300-3600 lbs. so my question is, will this even do anything for me if i get stuck?

i was talking to GFXJ about this and he thinks i should trade it in for a 8,500lb., but i dont want to have to come out of pocket another $200 for it, since i already have to spend $200-300 on a winch mount bumper.

Post subject: Re: WINCH QUESTION?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:18 pm 
you are gonna want at least a 8k lb. Problem is, although your jeeps weight is less than that winches rating, once you are stuck, the stress makes it seem like your jeep weighs quite a bit more. For most light jeeps, 8k lb is a good rating

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:25 pm 
mister wiskers

Agreed. You want a winch rated for at least 1 1/2 times your vehicle weight.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:28 pm 
Its worth the money This is something you cant go cheap on, or less poundage

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:16 pm 
ok, i just feel bad asking for him to take it back. he thinks he did a great job and i dont want to kill that for him.

oh well, i guess i have to do it.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:11 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Mr.ChevyFatBagz wrote:
ok, i just feel bad asking for him to take it back. he thinks he did a great job and i dont want to kill that for him.

oh well, i guess i have to do it.

Really, he did do a great job, its the thought that counts. And its definately something that you can use! He just didn't know the general rule of thumb is to go atleast 1.5 times the vehicles weight. I'm sure he'll understand!

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:32 pm 
freezes his batteries off

I agree that he may not have known the rule of weight when it comes to buying a winch.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:16 pm 
would make a nice trailer winch. somthing to consider

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:19 am 
Likes redheads from Disneyworld

If you can afford to keep it and buy a new 8k lb+ winch, I would do that. You can use the lower rated winch for a variety of things by putting it on a reciever mount. Just a thought... :tu2:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:48 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Dude, head in to Tractor Supply and tell them it was a Christmas present. See if they will give you store credit towards a bigger one.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:08 pm 
Alpine wrote:
Dude, head in to Tractor Supply and tell them it was a Christmas present. See if they will give you store credit towards a bigger one.

X2 Get credit,save up for bigger one,work up bumper,multi mount ? in the mean time :tu2:

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech