Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: CB PA Help
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I have a Cobra CB. I'm not sure on the model. I think it is the one they sell at Meijers for 40 or 50 bucks. I bought a horn from RadioShack and when I would try to use it there was a constant ring, very loud. It would go away if I covered the mic with my hand but would come back when I tried to talk. So, I figured the horn was just too powerful and returned it. I bought a horn from ebay (5 inch Black Plastic Reflex Horn, 12 watts Maximum Power, 8 ohms Impedance, 10 ft wire with mini plug, Brand New with manufacturers warranty.) and this one is doing the same thing. I had a PA setup with the RadioShack speaker in my YJ and it worked great. I have the speaker as far away from the CB as possible. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Post subject: Re: CB PA Help
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:03 pm 
Pap's mirror

where is your speaker mounted and which way is it facing? sounds like ya just got a decent out put on the speaker and a good pick up on the mic and they are just makin ya to much feedback. when your talkin do you have the doors shut on the jeep or is it all opened up?

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:52 pm 
Thread Necromancer

sounds like you're just getting feed back. Can you turn the gain down for the mic on the CB? That should do the trick.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:56 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I had the speaker under the hood right in front of the firewall facing the front of the jeep and figured it was too close so then I tried it unmounted on the front bumper. still squealin. everything is on the jeep, in the garage. (normal 3 car garage).

I tried messing with all the knobs, squelch, volume and channel. it sounds like the speaker is responding to the changes but it still squeals. no gain knob.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:03 pm 
Thread Necromancer

found your problem... try pulling out of the garage...

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:01 pm 
Do you have your power wires and pa wires running together? Also run the antenna seperate from the power wires. I have a pa mounted to the hood next to the firewall with no static whatsoever but also have the power leads driedtly going to the battery to cut out alternator noise instead of a cigarete lighter plugin. Hope this helps

"You gota keep em' seperated!"

Last edited by boarderbm on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:02 pm 
Pap's mirror

kennedy wrote:
found your problem... try pulling out of the garage...

X2

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:05 am 
Jeeper in IN

I will be a monkeys uncle. Out of the garage and wha la. No feed back. Thanks fellow Jeepers. Now i can drive down around at IPFW and honk at geese, annoying little shit machines. And i can yell at pretty ladies.

Thanks a lot.
meovermyer

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech