Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Travel or tire size?
 Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:32 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I was wondering what everyone's feelings are on tire size vs. travel. I am either going with 31s and will have more room for travel on the tire or 32s and have more underneath clearance. Both will fit just not sure which is best choice. On a KJ for reference with 3.5" lift.

Post subject: Re: Travel or tire size?
 Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:40 pm 
Mr. Google

whatchya wantin to do? crawl or bog?

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:07 pm 
flex it out and get out the tape measure with the tires you have, check your clearences add in the would be rubber and see what you can handle. math is your friend :2up:

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm 
Male nurse in training

Fawk math, its been nothing but a whore to me...go with 32's and don't look back, then get that thing to the badlands...

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:57 pm 
95YJMan wrote:
Fawk math, its been nothing but a whore to me...go with 32's and don't look back, then get that thing to the badlands...

its ok alan its nothing to crap your pants over.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:12 pm 
i say 31's with the lift you have now, give the tires a little room to flex. this will help you keep the tires on the ground more, its no fun having a tire stuffed in the wheel well not being able to turn when needed.

that and with having IFS you will have more clearence then a XJ with 32's. the only thing that is good about IFS, is the fact you dont get hung up on a diff.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 pm 
Mr.ChevyFatBagz wrote:
i say 31's with the lift you have meow, give the tires a little room to flex. this will help you keep the tires on the ground more, its no fun having a tire stuffed in the wheel well not being able to turn when needed.

that and with having IFS you will have more clearence then a XJ with 32's. the only thing that is good about IFS, is the fact you dont get hung up on a diff.

Listen to this guy! He's done more IFS wheeling than anybody on this site as far as I know!

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:23 pm 
philbert001 wrote:
Mr.ChevyFatBagz wrote:
i say 31's with the lift you have meow, give the tires a little room to flex. this will help you keep the tires on the ground more, its no fun having a tire stuffed in the wheel well not being able to turn when needed.

Listen to this guy! He's done more IFS wheeling than anybody on this site as far as I know!

this is very true, i am an IFS king around here. if you want to know how to snap something up there let me know, i am good at that also.

oh how i miss the b-lazer, it felt good to be an outkast/ jeepin groupie.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:24 pm 
Jeeper in IN

okay so 31 10.5 15 or 265 70 16 is basically the same thing should I go with a 15" wheel and the offset I want or go with 16" wheels or does that not really matter?

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:29 pm 
for the price of $40 a wheel, i say get some 15" soft 8's with a little backspacing, wrap them up in some 31/10.5/15< easier to come by at a good price.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:39 pm 
Jeeper in IN

so 15x8 with 3" backspace and some 31 10.5 15s?

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:42 pm 
PC wrote:
so 15x8 with 3" backspace and some 31 10.5 15s?

i would say that would be a pefect combo on the libby, and the black wheels would be tit's on her.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:43 pm 
If your libby came stock with 16" wheels you might want to stick with that size to clear the brakes. :? I know nothing about KJ's so I don't know stock wheel or brake sizes.Something to look into though.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:47 pm 
Jeeper in IN

GoodfellazXJ wrote:
If your libby came stock with 16" wheels you might want to stick with that size to clear the brakes. :? I know nothing about KJ's so I don't know stock wheel or brake sizes.Something to look into though.

Good point, never thought about rotor size vs wheel diameter, thanks for mentioning it Good

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:47 pm 
Mr. Google

check lost or jkc ... but im thinking hes right.. im not sure steel 15s will work im not 100% though.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:52 pm 
Jeeper in IN

geekyjeep wrote:
check lost or jkc ... but im thinking hes right.. im not sure steel 15s will work im not 100% though.

Will do, hopefully there is not a difference in cost between 16x8 with 3" offset vs 15.8 except the few cents for the steel. I have also considered going with a white wheel as opposed to black since I went with winter camo. I am also considering getting some white limited or renegade fender flares and the trim line.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:59 pm 
very good point.

read the link below, it has the answer.

link- http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Tires_%26_Rims

so 15" will work, but only if the backspacing is 4" or over.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:11 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Thanks for the link, that does not take into account my lift though. I have the largest lift supposedly on the market that will not cause bad CV angles. Having the lift on and looking at the angles they are good. Basically it leveled the back and lifted the front strut forks. Most of the other lifts are rear spacers and then extensions or spacers in the front whereas I replace the entire front fork. The only taller lift I have found is said if you want to wheel it then you need to shave like 3/8th of an inch off of the CV joint in order to let it wobble itself and work lol. To me if you have to shave some room so it can sloppily "work" as other than a mall crawler then there is something wrong.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 pm 
the lift would have nothing to do with the wheel size choice tho?

if you are running a 3.5" lift then you should be able to run 31's at full flex and not rub at all.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Just meant it said something about not being able to go beyond 2.5 inches on a lift without troubles. So I should be able to move the category scale it shows and run a 265/70/16 and be in the little to no rubbing factor as opposed to moderate rubbing.

More importantly, should I do white wheels and fender flares or black? Bare in mind I will be adding custom winter camo interior trim and possible paint on the lower portion of the sides

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:29 pm 
you could test fit 1 of my 31"s and see how it looks. i will have a wheel off the jeep after work anyway, need to replace a ujoint.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:35 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I looked at a set of 32 16s and they would definitely fit under there so not so worried. The problem seems to come with stated size vs. actual diameter and width according to the link you showed as well as checking on a tire size checker. A 265/70/16 is closer to a 31 10.5 than a 31 10.5 lol

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:10 am 
Mr. Google

PC wrote:
geekyjeep wrote:

Will do, hopefully there is not a difference in cost between 16x8 with 3" offset vs 15.8 except the few cents for the steel. I have also considered going with a white wheel as opposed to black since I went with winter camo. I am also considering getting some white limited or renegade fender flares and the trim line.

might look cool to winter camo the wheels... or overkill.. i think it might look cool.

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:54 pm 
mister wiskers

33's and bumpstop it as needed. Quit screwin with small tires :flipoff2:

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:07 pm 
Tuffjarhed wrote:

:tu2: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:19 pm 
Mr. Google

dont forget to pound your welds if you go that big..

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:20 am 
Jeeper in IN

Tuffjarhed wrote:

Someone on LostKJ is claiming they are running 33s with a 4" backspace and not rubbing I just don't see it. There is almost no room on the back to do it. I wish I could throw some on there. You show me how and I will give it a shot :?

Found something I want you to give me a price on too Matt, it solves an issue I have I can buy one for an XJ for 175$ supposedly but that won't work, they make one for a KJ but it is more expensive but also looks more engineered. I need a chance to get over and talk to you about some of this stuff so I can plan it out for when I get my cash. I should be getting it soon like within less than a month or about a month.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:26 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Don't forget about gear ratios when changing to taller tires.

That said, I agree with Topper. Put the largest tire on that fits, and limited uptravel with bumpstops.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:38 pm 
kennedy wrote:

That said, I agree with Topper. Put the largest tire on that fits, and limited uptravel with bumpstops.

Only problem with doing that, is that the way the lifts for these things go, they have almost no droop, so the more you limit up travel, the more you limit all travel. I would say the IFS front end, after lift, only has maybe 2-3 inches of droop! to bumpstop for 33's, he would only have like 5-6 inches of total travel! :td: :doh: :crybaby2: :eek2: :nono: As it is on 32's, he still probably only has 7-8 inches of total travel.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:56 pm 
n00b
n00b

Rockin 33's at the Badlands! :acclaim: (But I did have to go pretty crazy with the plasma cutter, not just pound pinch welds :tu2: )

2002 Red KJ Sport, Ford "347" V8 conversion, manual valve bodied C4, BW1354, B&M ratchet shift, OME/Rancho w/Clevis & Spacer for 3.5", Wheelwells Trimmed a lot, 285/75-16 Treadwright M/T, Mopar Rock Rails, Skids, Optima Red Top, F/R Tow Hooks, Custom Exhaust, Custom roof rack, Custom Steel Tube Fenders, GTP Hood Louvers, 1.25"Spidertrax, AutoMeter Ultralite II Gauges, Hi-Lift, Shovel, Pioneer HU, Rockford Fosgates in the doors and 2 - 12's in the back,

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech