Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Lifting a Silverado
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:46 am 
Jeeper in IN

I've been thinking about lifting my '99 Silverado about 3 inches or so. I prefer a suspension lift because I feel like that is the best way to go, but I'm not going to drop 1500ish because of IFS, so I have been leaning towards a body lift. Anyone have any idea on best brand to go with? I was considering getting a hold of some place local, such as TruckPro or Custom Truck and wasn't sure if there was any other local shop.

**SOLD** 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4x4. 251k, unknown miles on '96 4.0 ZJ motor. Black Steel 15x10 Rims with 32x11.50x15 Firestone Firehawk RMT tires. Skyjacker 3" lift coil springs up front and Chevy K1500 add-a-leaf bastard pack in the rear. 2007 JK shocks all around. It's still a work in progress **SOLD**

1999 Chevy Silverado Z71. 5.3L. Magnaflow Cats, Cat-back dual exhaust, el conquistador Super Duty snowplow

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4 Dr., 3.5L, bone stock

2006 Honda TRX450ER quad, bone stock

Post subject: Re: Lifting a Silverado
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:11 pm 
Jeeper in IN

FamousLee wrote:
I've been thinking about lifting my '99 Silverado about 3 inches or so. I prefer a suspension lift because I feel like that is the best way to go, but I'm not going to drop 1500ish because of IFS, so I have been leaning towards a body lift. Anyone have any idea on best brand to go with? I was considering getting a hold of some place local, such as TruckPro or Custom Truck and wasn't sure if there was any other local shop.

You can do a two inch susp lift and a 1 or 2 inch body lift. Internet is gonna be way cheaper than local most likley.

The 2" lift in front will be tortion key level lift and in the back it will be blocks. You can do this without changing much. at all.

You can also just do the 3" body lift but some things may be streched or need to be modified.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:21 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I'm already maxed out on my torsion bars and I see it pointless to put different keys in because I'm still going to be getting similar results which is close to putting the front cv shafts in a bind, at least in my opinion. I won't put blocks in the rear. I'll do an add-a-leaf first, because I'm starting to get some sag.

**SOLD** 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4x4. 251k, unknown miles on '96 4.0 ZJ motor. Black Steel 15x10 Rims with 32x11.50x15 Firestone Firehawk RMT tires. Skyjacker 3" lift coil springs up front and Chevy K1500 add-a-leaf bastard pack in the rear. 2007 JK shocks all around. It's still a work in progress **SOLD**

1999 Chevy Silverado Z71. 5.3L. Magnaflow Cats, Cat-back dual exhaust, el conquistador Super Duty snowplow

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:25 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Might go to fort wayne spring for the rear. They are good and cheap. They could put in all new leafs and add a few for not much money. This would get you some more lift in the rear.

If you already have the TB's maxxed out then your looking at a body lift or like you said big $ for a reall susp lift.

Also the reason for the keys is not to over stress the TB's. Yes you can crank them up but your causing wear by doing it and they will/could fail. That why the keys are nice becuse it keeps the factory "crank".

When you cranked your tortion bars did you extend the shock mounts? Or longer shocks?

Body lifts IMHO are ok if used in moderation. If you google body lift you'll get a book or comanies.

Stylin truck 4wheel parts both have them too.

What I want is a 4link and airbag setup in the rear and the front lifted 3". That way I can dump the rear making it easy to load stuff. BUT I would have almost as much in that as i do meh truck. LOL!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:27 pm 
Jeeper in IN

There was no need for extended shocks by doing the torsion bar cranking. I have never been a big fan of body lifts because they leave the frame hanging low still, the motor therefore sits deeper in the engine bay, exhaust tips will be hanging low....but it's a much cheaper alternative to suspension lift. I've also had people tell me to just go solid axle swap, but I don't want to go through that much work and I only want 3-4" of lift.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech