Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Hmmmmmm, I'm thinking again....
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:58 pm 
likes red monkey ass

So I picked up an issue of JP mag and saw there newest stable mate. An old 6x6 deuce and a half. So I figuered one of these could be picked up for cheap and any extra weight could be removed from it to make it more streetable. I'd be sure to get a diesel and convert it to run biodiesel and maybe mount a 150 gallon tank in the bed for long trips. This would be my play truck as well as my tow rig. I also did some more thinking and if I find the engine to just be too anemic I could possibly fabricate a turbo exhaust manifold and turbo charge the engine. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:42 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Why not find one that already has a turbo.
As far as weight reduction to save on milage and such, it won't make a bit of difference. There is nothing that you need to modify to run Biodiesel. If you wanted to run just straight waste vegetable oil, then yes, you'd have to modify the fuel system, but then you get into other headaches, like dealing with cold starts, and what not.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:48 pm 
likes red monkey ass

kennedy wrote:
Why not find one that already has a turbo.
As far as weight reduction to save on milage and such, it won't make a bit of difference. There is nothing that you need to modify to run Biodiesel. If you wanted to run just straight waste vegetable oil, then yes, you'd have to modify the fuel system, but then you get into other headaches, like dealing with cold starts, and what not.

I didn't mean convert in the literal sense. I would have to buy mixing and holdig tanks. As well as something so I can transport the used oil home. Does anyone know what kind of speed I can expect out of one of these things? I don't expect to fly down the road, but to cruise at 65 would be nice....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:12 pm 
Thread Necromancer

There was just a write up in Diesel Power Magazine that I read, I think they were getting something like 66mph down hill. I'd say you'd do lucky to cruise at 60. You may be able to put a taller tire on, or possibly an aditional overdrive and get a bit more.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:35 am 
mister wiskers

They were made to run 150 miles on one fill up at 45 MPH. They are slow.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech