Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: front axle
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:49 pm 
Offline
Cliché Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:33 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Peru, In
lets say you have a budget of 1000 dollars. what would you do for a front axle?

_________________
http://www.clowntowncycles.net


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:15 pm 
Offline
Thread Necromancer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 29262
Location: Omokok, NI
depends on your tires... but...

77-78 F150 HP D44 = $150-200, gears= $250, install kit=75, locker = $400, new bearings/u-joints/hub= $150-200, new ball joints = $100.

Ok, so I just blew your budget by $100-200... but you could just get a lunch box locker, for $200, or a mini spool for $100, or weld the spiders for free and save...

_________________
Jeeper4Life wrote:
noone means any harm and that it's all in fun.. but then there's kennedy..

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:05 pm 
Offline
collega cusks

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:15 am
Posts: 733
buy an axle and let it sit in the garage until I have more money

_________________
farts are funny but isn't this getting a little old?
Image Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm 
Offline
Baby puncher
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:26 pm
Posts: 3510
Location: LEO
depends if you wanna go full width. ahh be unique, just build the shit out of a dana 30

_________________
03 WJ, IRO 4" Critical Path Long Arm, 265/75/16 KM2's, IceLand OffRoad high clearance winch bumper w/xrc8 winch.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 pm 
Offline
greasy gizzard-juice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:31 am
Posts: 5231
Location: claypool
mudpuppy wrote:
depends if you wanna go full width. ahh be unique, just build the shit out of a dana 30



He did that, learned it wasn't worth wasting the money now he's upgrading lmao

_________________
Check out my woman's webpage so she'll be happy lol. If ya need photography work done this is the place to get it.
http://iwant2shootu.com

Hell who knows what I'm gonna have from one day to the next so why bother trying to list em.

[/img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/crazy_cooter56/jeeps2.jpg[/img]


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:49 pm 
Offline
Cliché Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:33 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Peru, In
crazy_cooter56 wrote:
mudpuppy wrote:
depends if you wanna go full width. ahh be unique, just build the shit out of a dana 30



He did that, learned it wasn't worth wasting the money meow he's upgrading lmao


true, very freakin' true... now i need more gearing than 4.88

_________________
http://www.clowntowncycles.net


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:28 am 
Offline
mister wiskers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:15 am
Posts: 1631
Location: For Twain, In Dianna
60.

_________________
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.
Semper Fidelis.
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:49 pm 
Offline
Cliché Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:33 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Peru, In
Tuffjarhed wrote:
60.


this is what i want, but i don't think i can find one for a grand... runnable

_________________
http://www.clowntowncycles.net


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:31 am 
Offline
mister wiskers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:15 am
Posts: 1631
Location: For Twain, In Dianna
I'll make ya a deal on my 44...

_________________
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.
Semper Fidelis.
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am 
Offline
Feeds people vomit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 6282
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Tuffjarhed wrote:
I'll make ya a deal on my 44...

But you just told him to buy a 60....

_________________
'78 CJ7 project....350, NV3500, NP241, fiberglass tub, show and shine
'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible - the family fun car
'05 Chevrolet 3500 dually, duramax, stock
'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:49 am 
Offline
Took the Browns to the Superbowl
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 317
Location: Kirtland AFB NM
Get a HP 44, gears, u-joints, install kit and a spool, about right there is your buget, maybe.... Then you have to look at wheels to match the bolt pattern, then if you have coils you have to get the brackets for the axle, if you have leaves then you might still have to out board the springs... It all adds up to $$$$$$$$$$$


The good thing is, you can still sell your old crap to get more money for more stuff


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:29 pm 
Offline
Rides a Viagra
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:00 pm
Posts: 1476
Location: Warsaw
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Ford-F-150-4X4-4WD-Low-Production-Number_W0QQitemZ8072367713QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Take the axles scap the truck, get $200 back out of it.

_________________
1978 Datsun 280z (Dotty)
1992 Nissan 240sx (Scarlet)
1991 Nissan 240sx

[color=#FF0000]FOR SALE
1989 Jeep XJ (V-dent) FOR SALE SOON


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:03 am 
Offline
Took the Browns to the Superbowl
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 317
Location: Kirtland AFB NM
The only problem is that your not sure if that has the paddles casted on or welded on... The welded on ones are the stronger of the 2 axles and you can do so much more to them than the cast


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:59 pm 
Offline
Thread Necromancer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 29262
Location: Omokok, NI
the auction is for a 78, therefore they SHOULD... be welded, not cast...

_________________
Jeeper4Life wrote:
noone means any harm and that it's all in fun.. but then there's kennedy..

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:58 pm 
Offline
greasy gizzard-juice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:31 am
Posts: 5231
Location: claypool
kennedy wrote:
the auction is for a 78, therefore they SHOULD... be welded, not cast...


Actually most of the 78's were cast I believe it was the 77 1/2 to early 78 that were welded. But with the YJ the 3/4 ton would be much better as the spring perches damn near line up only takes a little bit of grinding and you can mount it under the Jeep.

_________________
Check out my woman's webpage so she'll be happy lol. If ya need photography work done this is the place to get it.
http://iwant2shootu.com

Hell who knows what I'm gonna have from one day to the next so why bother trying to list em.

[/img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/crazy_cooter56/jeeps2.jpg[/img]


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:43 pm 
Offline
Took the Browns to the Superbowl
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 317
Location: Kirtland AFB NM
crazy_cooter56 wrote:
kennedy wrote:
the auction is for a 78, therefore they SHOULD... be welded, not cast...


Actually most of the 78's were cast I believe it was the 77 1/2 to early 78 that were welded. But with the YJ the 3/4 ton would be much better as the spring perches damn near line up only takes a little bit of grinding and you can mount it under the Jeep.



Very true but Ive even seen earlier with cast.. You just have to look closley at the axle, rather than looking at the year.. Mine was a 69' with drums, welded paddles, I couldnt find anything else around here


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:47 pm 
Offline
greasy gizzard-juice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:31 am
Posts: 5231
Location: claypool
XTrmXJ wrote:
crazy_cooter56 wrote:
kennedy wrote:
the auction is for a 78, therefore they SHOULD... be welded, not cast...


Actually most of the 78's were cast I believe it was the 77 1/2 to early 78 that were welded. But with the YJ the 3/4 ton would be much better as the spring perches damn near line up only takes a little bit of grinding and you can mount it under the Jeep.



Very true but Ive even seen earlier with cast.. You just have to look closley at the axle, rather than looking at the year.. Mine was a 69' with drums, welded paddles, I couldnt find anything else around here


Before 77 1/2 they were all low pinion though right?

_________________
Check out my woman's webpage so she'll be happy lol. If ya need photography work done this is the place to get it.
http://iwant2shootu.com

Hell who knows what I'm gonna have from one day to the next so why bother trying to list em.

[/img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/crazy_cooter56/jeeps2.jpg[/img]


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:48 pm 
Offline
Took the Browns to the Superbowl
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 317
Location: Kirtland AFB NM
Nope they are hi pinion like mine... The 3/4 ford axles are the ones that are low pinion for the added strength of the housing


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron