Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: CB
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:22 pm 
Offline
Male nurse in training
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:03 am
Posts: 1006633
Location: Fort wayne
I don't really want to install a CB into my Jeep was looking into Handheld CBs like this one:
http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/st ... oduct=3107

Is this just as good as any other CB like the one you would install on your dash, like the ones that aren't handheld? Would I be able to talk with other Jeepers out on the trail, like at thristle park and the badlands?

_________________
2016 JKU with some stuff


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:53 pm 
Offline
Giggling Little Schoolgirl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:29 pm
Posts: 2471
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
I'm not sure as I've never used one, but I would assume that at places like giraffe genitals and the badlands you are close enough to the other people that it would work just fine.

_________________
just another TJ on 35's...
full custom "Get Bent Kustoms" roll cage
very slow 1 ton project in the works...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:41 pm 
Offline
Baby puncher
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:26 pm
Posts: 3510
Location: LEO
that post was from me by the way...rob left his name signed in on my computer AGAIN!!

_________________
03 WJ, IRO 4" Critical Path Long Arm, 265/75/16 KM2's, IceLand OffRoad high clearance winch bumper w/xrc8 winch.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:41 am 
Offline
Thread Necromancer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 29263
Location: Omokok, NI
They would work fine, the range isn't quite as good, though. For what you are wanting it should work, biggest thing is keeping track of it "floating" around the inside of your jeep, unless you can make some sort of holder or hanger for it.
You can also go to Radio Shack or a CB shop and get a cheap magnetic antenna, and an adapter, which would more than double the range. Just stick the antenna on your hood off to the side and run the cable in through your passenger door.

_________________
Jeeper4Life wrote:
noone means any harm and that it's all in fun.. but then there's kennedy..

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:06 am 
Offline
Jeeper in IN
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:31 pm
Posts: 661
Location: Tipton, Indiana
My friend's used one for quite a while with no problems at all.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:09 am 
Offline
Feeds people vomit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 6282
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Just curious as to why you don't want to install one in your jeep? They're small, install easily....cheap (flea market)

_________________
'78 CJ7 project....350, NV3500, NP241, fiberglass tub, show and shine
'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible - the family fun car
'05 Chevrolet 3500 dually, duramax, stock
'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:58 am 
Offline
Jeeper in IN

Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 19
Location: Danville
I paid good money for a handheld and I hated it. It had OK range on the highway...actually no better than a 2 way radio....but on the trail it had NO range. It was also just a bulky pain in the rear to use on the trail. I highly recommend against a handheld.

I got some cheap Uniden after I fried my nice $200 one that I had mounted to the back of my console. I just put a cig lighter plug on it and that was the best setup I had. Pull it out, plug it into the lighter and go. Worked outstanding.

_________________
08 Mitsubishi EVO X
05 Mitsubishi EVO VIII
05 Duramax Diesel crew cab 4x4 - mule
05 Honda Insight - tube chassis alcohol dragster
07 VW Jetta
00 TJ - stolen :(


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:22 am 
Offline
Male nurse in training
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:03 am
Posts: 1006633
Location: Fort wayne
Chuck wrote:
Just curious as to why you don't want to install one in your jeep? They're small, install easily....cheap (flea market)


Just me being lazy and didn't want to mess with it. Plus just to have something portable would be kinda cool.

_________________
2016 JKU with some stuff


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:13 pm 
Offline
Thread Necromancer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 29263
Location: Omokok, NI
the only advantage on the trail that I can really see is that if you were spotting someone through a blind area you could communicate with them still.

_________________
Jeeper4Life wrote:
noone means any harm and that it's all in fun.. but then there's kennedy..

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:20 pm 
Offline
a naked man tit in a highschool locker room
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:39 pm
Posts: 108714
Location: about 3miles east of Luther, IN
Kennedy hit it dead on. Anytime I wheel I take my handheld with for the spotter or that dude that shows up without a radio. But with the attached antenna the range is fair at best. I would recommend a hard mount with a good quality antenna. If you need help setting it up give me or John a ring. :tu2:

_________________
I got a dirty mind, a gutter mouth, I'm makin time, I'm going out with your wife.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:27 pm 
Offline
Jeeper in IN
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:01 pm
Posts: 393
Location: South Bend
I have a quick disconect wiring harness on mine and only put it in when i go on a trip. If you move the passanger seat back stuff it along the center console and move the seat up it stays in place with no holes in my dash.

_________________
1991 Blue XJ 3"lift, 35" MTR's, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, Gutted and bedlined.
95 green ZJ wifes
93 green ZJ my spare
61 fc 170 flatbed project


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:51 pm 
Offline
Took the Browns to the Superbowl
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 317
Location: Kirtland AFB NM
I have a cb I built into my jeep, and I also have a hand held for when Im spotting, or for searching over a ledge / obstacal and radio back for others to stop if it goes no where.. You dont get the distance like you can with the fixed ones but it works


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:49 pm 
Offline
Thread Necromancer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 29263
Location: Omokok, NI
Watchamaklit wrote:
Kennedy hit it dead on. Anytime I wheel I take my handheld with for the spotter or that dude that shows up without a radio. But with the attached antenna the range is fair at best. I would recommend a hard mount with a good quality antenna. If you need help setting it up give me or John a ring. :tu2:


thats what I alway did with mine in the TJ too... worked out great.
Plus once on a long road trip my main CB quit working, so it made a great back-up

_________________
Jeeper4Life wrote:
noone means any harm and that it's all in fun.. but then there's kennedy..

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:30 am 
Offline
Feeds people vomit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 6282
Location: West Lafayette, IN
kennedy wrote:
Watchamaklit wrote:
Kennedy hit it dead on. Anytime I wheel I take my handheld with for the spotter or that dude that shows up without a radio. But with the attached antenna the range is fair at best. I would recommend a hard mount with a good quality antenna. If you need help setting it up give me or John a ring. :tu2:


thats what I alway did with mine in the TJ too... worked out great.
Plus once on a long road trip my main CB quit working, so it made a great back-up


So what they're saying is....buy two, a dash mount with permanant or magnetic mount antenna, and buy a handheld as a trail radio/backup for the highway :-)

_________________
'78 CJ7 project....350, NV3500, NP241, fiberglass tub, show and shine
'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible - the family fun car
'05 Chevrolet 3500 dually, duramax, stock
'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:08 am 
Offline
Took the Browns to the Superbowl
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 317
Location: Kirtland AFB NM
Yup


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron