Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions

Post subject: where to go badlands or haspen?
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:47 pm 
To you guys who have been to both, witch park is better for camping and wheeling?Just trying to figure out where to go.Thanks :tu2:

Post subject: Re: where to go badlands or haspen?
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:28 pm 
Smokey rolls

as far as i know you cant actually camp in the badlands but dont take my word for it ive never been there ive always went to haspin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:41 pm 
Pap's mirror

there is a campground there. it is not the badlands grounds per say but its right there as you drive out the gate. and then there is one like 5 or 10 mins from the badlands.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:58 am 
Jeeper in IN

i've never been to haspin but if you go to utube type in haspin you'll get tons of videos for it and do the same with badlands it might help you make your decision. but nice thing about badlands there is something for everybody! haspin might be the same way but not sure. maybe simms or drew will post up. i prob wont go to haspin if we dont get someone to go thats already been there. call me what you will but im not a fan of wheeling somewhere i've never been without a guide. and every trail at badlands you can do with 2" lift and 31's as long as you know how to pick your lines :tu2:

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:09 am 
That's what I was thinking,going to haspen without someone who has been there is out of the question.I've just heard that haspen is more laid back and you can camp anywhere and wheel until 9:00?Badlands is more than likely where we are going.I've been there and nothing beats the different types of terrain.And at least with marked trails we won't end up on something are rigs and skills are'nt capable of.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:12 am 
Jeeper in IN

yup but even then as long has you have hooks front and rear youll be good i got a winch to pull ya out

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:24 am 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

my take on haspen is this:
its unorganized, there's no rules (people usually drink and wheel).
i went there once on a quad and didn't much care for it.
i'm not saying i won't go back, but it would take a lot for me to go back... just my 2 cents.

i'd go to badlands.......

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:04 pm 
Has a castrated raccoon

Haspin is closer. No rules more or less. Mud and hills. Camp wherever you feel like inside the park and drinking is rampant. I've been there several times with my ATV and as long as you pay attention, it's not bad. Also, if you are in the military, they will give free admission if you ask for it.

I've never been to the Badlands.

$0.02

AMSOIL DEALER http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1692873&page=store

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm 
I like to drink but not drink and wheel.So I'm leaning toward badlands.Fat bags whats your take on this?Badlands or haspen,check out both web sites.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:29 pm 
Jeeper in IN

GoodfellazXJ wrote:
To you guys who have been to both, witch park is better for camping and wheeling?Just trying to figure out where to go.Thanks :tu2:

I've been to both

Badlands:
wheeling from 9-5, better hope that you don't have to waste half your day waiting on someone to fix their junk
camping outside of gate = more $$$
Good obstacles/trails, Alot "more technical" terrain

H a s p i n :
1 day admission gets you in the gate until 11 am the next morning
Camping permitted any where on the property
Wheeling permitted throughout the night (that's alot of fun)
The whole property is one big trail (always a bypass for the nasty stuff)
Stay away from the mud holes (they have no bottom)
A great place to learn
They don't make you drink but being over the age of 21, it is your choice

I've broken plenty of parts at both places

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:37 pm 
Pap's mirror

and i have heard from many ppl that if you break it and have to leave it for any reason it will be gone or torched by the time you get back.

at the badlands they will help you get it out and maybe fix it.

dont think i will ever make it to haspin.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:33 pm 
Jeeper in IN

GoodfellazXJ wrote:

I've Heard, I've Heard, I've Heard....you should never judge a book by it's cover.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:56 am 
Tang Soo

badlands is open til 7 on the weekends...

badlands allows no alcohol with wheelin...

alcohol is for AFTER you get done wheelin...

there is a campground RIGHT outside the badlands (alcohol may or may not be allowed) and about 10 min away (alcohol definately on the up and up)...

Badlands sponsors our rock racing team...

mac 'hands down badlands' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:43 pm 
Pervert Row

Paps - Just point out who says that shit and I'll kick'em square in the junk...

I meet nicer people at haspin than badlands everytime...Also not waitin on the yuppy in a new Jeep or H2...

If you don't like drinkin and wheelin, then don't drink...Quit worring about what everyone else is doing and do your own f'n thing...I perosnally don't like being told what I can or can't do and when and where I can do it....If you like free reign then go to HASPIN....If you like being told what to do then go to badlands and deal with the massive amounts of quads and people who "think" thye're wheelin....

Goodfellaz - you don't give your Jeep enough credit...

Jonny "Hands down HASPIN" B.

'98 Xj - Call it anything, but a Chero-Car... :flipoff2:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:38 pm 
Jeeper in IN

The guys at Haspin will help you get your vehicles outta the trails. They will take dozer or backhoe thru the trails to pull you out. I have talked with the guys there. They have not problem helping anybody out for nothing I believe. It's when the stupid people that have no right being there with brand new vehicles like a Hummer get burried, they will charge something like $100 to tow you out.

**SOLD** 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4x4. 251k, unknown miles on '96 4.0 ZJ motor. Black Steel 15x10 Rims with 32x11.50x15 Firestone Firehawk RMT tires. Skyjacker 3" lift coil springs up front and Chevy K1500 add-a-leaf bastard pack in the rear. 2007 JK shocks all around. It's still a work in progress **SOLD**

1999 Chevy Silverado Z71. 5.3L. Magnaflow Cats, Cat-back dual exhaust, el conquistador Super Duty snowplow

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4 Dr., 3.5L, bone stock

2006 Honda TRX450ER quad, bone stock

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm 
Jeeper in IN

when i talk about them letting you drink at haspin i know i'd never drink and wheel and thats prob what all the others are saying. my opinion odds are any drunk idiot in a jeep drinking is only going to hurt himself and his rig (god forbid one of his passengers) but jeeps go 5 miles an hour while wheeling most of the time. but what im worried about is a drunk idiot on a quad going fifty mph. some of us from the fort have had to deal with a few drunk idiots while wheeling and im sure i wasnt the only one that wanted to punch them as hard as i could but the wheeler inside of me made me stay and help

just my $0.02

but so its clear im not against haspin as long as i have a guide. getting lost while wheeling sucks. i wont judge the place till i've been there

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:50 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Well that's the thing about Haspin, there is no really set trails. It's just a bunch of paths you can take. For dirt bikes and quads there is a path you can follow, but off the fire trail, it's just wherever you want to go.

As far as the too places go, I've only taking my quad to them. I've been to both. In terms of a quad, Badlands has sand and little mud. I can come home fairly clean. Haspin, has a nasty red mucky clay, that is pretty hard to get cleaned off your machine. At Haspin, at the start of the day, the parking lot can be mud, but by the end of the day, there will be dust rolling.

I'm actually going to Haspin this coming Saturday and believe I'm only taking the quad

**SOLD** 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4x4. 251k, unknown miles on '96 4.0 ZJ motor. Black Steel 15x10 Rims with 32x11.50x15 Firestone Firehawk RMT tires. Skyjacker 3" lift coil springs up front and Chevy K1500 add-a-leaf bastard pack in the rear. 2007 JK shocks all around. It's still a work in progress **SOLD**

1999 Chevy Silverado Z71. 5.3L. Magnaflow Cats, Cat-back dual exhaust, el conquistador Super Duty snowplow

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4 Dr., 3.5L, bone stock

2006 Honda TRX450ER quad, bone stock

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:57 am 
Thanks for your input to all of you who posted.I appreciate it.Going to badlands in august and probably haspen in the fall sometime.Been to the badlands on the quad so I gotta take the jeep down for a run.Haspen does sound fun also,my step dad just returned from there riding dirt bikes,said it was a blast but did'nt sleep much.The way I see it if I have'nt tried it I won't knock it.So time will tell my opion on both parks.Thanks fellaz!
Any more input would be much appreciated :2up:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:45 am 
Jeeper in IN

oh if some of you newbies want to know we have two set trips every year april fools run (usually first weekend in april) and the turkey run (two days after thanksgiving) and they are at the badlands. hopefully it gives you guys time to plan for it

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:55 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Never been to haspin, been to the badlands quite a few times. I like the trails at the badlands. You can take a mostly stock vehicle pretty much anywhere.

The hours don't really bother me. I was exhausted form wheeling all day and taking a rest at night is nice. I don't think I could handle camping in the park. I could just see getting to sleep and qauds and bikes flying thru your camping area and some drunk idiot trying to see if he can get a wheel up on your tent while your in it.

I have wanted to go to haspin but never have. I end up just going back to attica.

My 2c.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:51 am 
freezes his batteries off

I have been to both and like the Badlands better. Haspin was ok, but it was last January and there was 12" of snow on the ground. It made it interesting. I would go back to see what it's like without snow. I do think it's crazy that Haspin allows drinking and wheeling, but we are beating the dead horse on that issue again.

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions