Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions

Post subject: Less than 48 hrs For Moab Hearing - 9 MILLION acres to close
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:56 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Copied from p4x4.com... thought it important enough to share...

--------------Enter copied data--------------

http://blogs.4wheeloffroad.com/65633...ver/index.html

Congress to Vote on H.R. 1925 America's Red Rock Wilderness Act This Thursday!

Moab Might Be Gone Forever!

Posted Today 01:35 PM by 4WOR Web Editor

Filed under: Miscellaneous, Jason Gonderman

The Chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing on October 1 to consider H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009.

This legislation -- which will ban off-highway vehicle (OHV) access to public lands to those who live and recreate in
Utah -- was introduced by New York Representative Maurice Hinchey.

However, not a single Representative from Utah is supporting H.R.1925.

Specifically, H.R. 1925 would designate more than nine million more acres as federally protected "Wilderness," and directly affect the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock areas (to name a few) in Utah.

These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in Utah, and are some of the most popular with responsible OHV riders. The proposed Wilderness designation would also make the land off limits to ATV riders, mountain bikers and horseback
riders.

Coming on the heels of the recently enacted Omnibus Public Land Management Act, which closed 2 million acres of public lands, this vast Wilderness bill will take away additional recreation opportunities currently enjoyed by local residents and visitors alike.

The AMA needs your help now to stop H.R. 1925. The fastest way to reach your U.S. Representative is to call them. You can find contact information for your elected officials by entering your zip code on AmericanMotorcyclist.com, clicking on "Rights," then "Issues and Legislation." Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your Representative immediately by following the "Take
Action" option and entering your information.

Please contact your Representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 1925.

It's VERY VERY SIMPLE! Just click here...

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=14061961

... and you will be taken to the AMA's (American Motorcycle
Association) website. Enter your zip code and a letter will be sent to your representative urging them to vote NO on this bill.

Do it NOW! please

Everybody help this Bill Fail!!!

--------------End copied data------------

DO SOMETHING NOW... click this link http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert ... d=14061961

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Last edited by kennedy on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Less than 48 hrs For Moab Hearing - 9 MILLION acres to close
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:53 pm 
email sent. its incredibly easy and all pre-written so theres no excuse why not to do it. C'mon guys, this land closing is getting ridiculous and its why we have no where to legally go. Its our land, so why cant we use it?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:57 pm 
I have sent my concerned email to Mark Souder, dont be a douche bag fill it out

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:54 pm 
E-mail sent :2up: One of my goals in life is to wheel Moab,I sure hope they don't shut her down. :crybaby2:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:38 pm 
spackled

Done :tu2:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:00 am 
likes red monkey ass

I have not been to this site in a while, but am trying to get the word out. It passed the pre lim hearing and is now heading to the house of reps.
There is funding going into this bill from companies that we support such as Cabela's. Below is what I posted on PORC.

Discussion on Pirate: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824685
H.R. 1925
Basically, this bill is being supported by companies that many of us shop at regularly, like Cabela's and FedEx and proposes to close down the Moab trail system to off-road vehicles..
Personally, I will never be doing business with these companies again.
Even if you never want to go to Moab, you should still feel threatened by this. They closed down Tellico among many other places. How long until they start going after Harlan? We NEED more activity in land use. EVERYONE needs to get on board with this. I will be following the Pirate discussion closely. The nearest Cabela's store for me and most of us is in Hammond, Indiana. I propose a protest where everyone takes there Jeep, 'Yota, or whatever and we protest. Picket signs, the whole nine yards. We let everyone know what Cabela's supports, and that is restricting our hobby to small, private parks. We could use some Cabelas sales fliers, catalogs, or whatever anyone can get there hands on and shred them, stick them in a box, and ship them to Cabela's HQ postmarked the same day with a note inside stating our position and intentions.

Why Cabela's? Because this is one of the largest companies that target people like us that support this crap. We need to focus all our energy on one company to make an example of and strike fear into the other companies that target us and support crap legislation like this.
This is a very serious threat, and they feel that we are a weak community full of stupid hillbillies that do not pay attention. We need this to end. I urge you and plead you to get on board with this. Everyone in this club that I have talked to has the dream to go to Moab, and if this is allowed to pass without a fight from you then we deserve to lose every trail that we have. It is time to fight this and show them we will not go down without a fight.

If you would like to contact me, my e-mail is carnes@purdue.edu . My phone number is in the members directory. Officers, it would be good to organize something on campus to let people not even in the club, but share our hobby and interests, know what is happening to one of the most famous and well known trail systems in the United States.

I will be watching Pirate closely and will be updating this accordingly. Mods, I think this may be my only thread ever on here worthy of a sticky.

Thank you,
Casey Carnes

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:34 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Done - made topic global.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:57 am 
Particle Man

Done.

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have their shoes when you criticize them.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:20 am 
mr. snuffleupagus

done, and passed on to others as well!!!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:33 am 
Likes redheads from Disneyworld

The AMA is also showing support for this...

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert ... d=14061961

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:11 pm 
got a barn boner

Done, damn goverment...

"If it’s more than two shakes you are playing with yourself"

I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun! - Homer Simpson

Square Head Lights Let The World Know You Are Cool.

"Just knowing me gets you 50 cool points" So Sayeth the wodog

95 yj rio, 2" body lift, 15 to 20 gal. gas tank conversion, Hella hb2 head lights. More on the way, Dear Dad send $$$...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:29 pm 
mr. snuffleupagus

Its not looking good....if they shut it down, they will keep going till there is no more...damn tree hugging hippies

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:34 pm 
mr. snuffleupagus

Also...even if you don't plan on ever going to Moab, and don't think you don't need to send a email to your state rep, you are 100 percent WRONG. This is our sport that we all love. They will come after all place that are open for us to wheel. They have shut down trails in all over, and they wont stop. We need to fight this. Down with the long legged mac daddy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:27 pm 
would like to see the CREAPY basement

I signed also. I have never been there, and don't think I will be able to ever go. But I don't want it to close because of the people that can go and enjoy it.

It is always funny till someone gets hurt.
Than it's hilarious

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:47 pm 
Missing the right bolts

i have a dream to go there as well i sent an e mail if this shuts down then who knows what will be next

FUCK THE DUMB SHIT

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:33 am 
Dirty tranny

wow what to do love the outdoors, love to wheel,
torn between what i love more????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:00 am 

tellozzy wrote:

How does wheeling at Moab mess up the outdoors? For me, this is a no-brainer. Some asswipe in New York is imposing his will in a federal manner that contradicts the will of a sovereign state (Utah). It doesn't mess anything up for any creatures living out there, and it's another way for people to enjoy our natural resources - such as camping, hiking, canoeing, etc.

I may or may not ever get out there, but just because "I personally" may not get out there does not mean that "I personally" should stay out of it.

It's been over 48 hours.. does anybody know the results of this?

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:40 am 
Jeeper in IN

Sant. Will forward to all.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 am 
Male nurse in training

Done

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:11 am 
mr. snuffleupagus

tellozzy wrote:

Bill I love the outdoors too. I think of myself as a green fanatic and want to save our planet, and all with in. But this bill is a wilderness bill, closing 9.4 million acres to all that want to enjoy it. not just people in jeeps, or on dirt bikes, but those on horses, and mountain bikes, and it does not state it, but those who hike. It will be a wilderness preserve, meaning no human contact to the land what so ever....I want to preserve nature so I can view it, my kids can view it, and my grand kids. Not shut it down so it can never be viewed by a single human again.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 am 

Track the progress of the bill here:

(house of reps) http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1925
(senate) http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:SN00799:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:42 am 
mr. snuffleupagus

http://www.mainstreetbusinessjournal.co ... lesid=4622

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:59 pm 
mr. snuffleupagus

got this in the mail today....
Attachment:
scan.jpg
scan.jpg [ 392.87 KiB | Viewed 17997 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:41 am 
Missing the right bolts

im kinda with you guys there im a hunter (usually waterfowlif you wonderin) but i agree with the post above the letter the reason we preserve things is so our children and our grandkids can see it and in my perspective hunt it

FUCK THE DUMB SHIT

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:13 am 
likes red monkey ass

Cabela's official statement concerning the event: http://www.sbwinvps.com/landuse/Cabela_s%20HR%201925.pdf

This is all well and GREAT, but Cabela's does not have a person on the board at OIA. Coleman products; however, does. Please visit the following linked thread to not only send thanks to Cabela's, but to find the contact information for Coleman to push them to publicly denounce the speech given by Metclaf under their company letterhead. We need to move through the OIA company by company getting them to reject support of H.R. 1925. This would seriously hamper the support of the bill making through Congress.
Pirate thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825795

Thanks,
Casey

I agree with supporting this even though "it doesn't affect you." Remember, they managed to shut down Tellico (which I believe was a privately owned park, I may be wrong) because it hurt the poor little fishies. How long until they come after the Badlands? Is that what it will take to motivate some people? If you arn't willing to support fellow wheelers and their land, then you do not deserve the support of others.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:06 pm 
freezes his batteries off

I had done the reply also. I also did it in my wife's name.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:30 am 

Moved back to Wheeling & Land Use as an announcement. It's been over 48 hours and it has progressed to the next stage in the house of reps. If you have not written your reps / senators, it's not too late! Do it!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:25 pm 
heres what i got in an email today from souder

Dear Mr. Szoltysik:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the Red Rock Wilderness Act
of 2009. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, Representative Maurice Hinchey of New York introduced the Red Rock Wilderness Act (H.R. 1925) on April 2, 2009. This bill would designate 9.4 million acres of land in Utah as wilderness and components of the National Wilderness Preservation System.

Territories designated as components of the National Wilderness Preservation System are protected in order to preserve their natural characteristics and are subject to provisions that prevent even the most non-invasive of human activities. As a co-founder of the National Parks Caucus, I strongly believe in protecting natural spaces throughout our country. However, it is necessary to carefully study this area before including it into the National Wildlife Preservation System- some lands must remain available for development, mining, grazing, tourism, and recreation. Perhaps a compromise can be achieved whereby part of the area will be designated a national park, while some remains open to recreational uses.

H.R. 1925 has been referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources for further review. Although I am not a member of the Committee on Natural Resources, should this bill come before the House floor for a vote I will keep your thoughts in mind when considering it

Thank you for keeping in touch with me. If I may be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again. I also encourage you to visit my Web site, which may be found on-line at www.Souder.House.gov.

Sincerely,

Mark Souder
Member of Congress

If you would like to remain informed about this issue, please follow this link to subscribe to my e-newsletter updates. Click here to subscribe to e-newsletter

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 pm 
mr. snuffleupagus

well he's no help in the matter

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:18 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Well, atleast he didn't say he was completey for it, and said there is possibility of compromise, instead of saying "It should be done".

What I don't think any of them realize, if they close down those areas around the town of Moab, it will kill the town of Moab.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:31 pm 
Tang Soo

i just sent Mr. Souder a message myself. I offered to take him wheelin in my Jeep at the badlands or Red Bird. I also offered to fly to moab with Him and rent a Jeep and enjoy the trails that the bill wants to close...I'll probably never heard anything on that, but at least it was offered.

mac 'wheelin with congress' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:50 pm 
Thread Necromancer

:tu2:

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:00 pm 
kennedy wrote:
Well, atleast he didn't say he was completey for it, and said there is possibility of compromise, instead of saying "It should be done".

What I don't think any of them realize, if they close down those areas around the town of Moab, it will kill the town of Moab.

Ya, i was thinking about the same thing earlier. But they dont give a damn what effects their decisions have it seems. They only have tunnel vision focused on the direct outcomes that they want to see. Not the things that happen as a result.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:18 pm 
Tang Soo

I got the exact same form letter in reply to my personal letter just now...

mac 'word for word from souder' gyvr

nobarrierz wrote:
heres what i got in an email today from souder

Dear Mr. Szoltysik:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the Red Rock Wilderness Act
of 2009. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, Representative Maurice Hinchey of New York introduced the Red Rock Wilderness Act (H.R. 1925) on April 2, 2009. This bill would designate 9.4 million acres of land in Utah as wilderness and components of the National Wilderness Preservation System.

Territories designated as components of the National Wilderness Preservation System are protected in order to preserve their natural characteristics and are subject to provisions that prevent even the most non-invasive of human activities. As a co-founder of the National Parks Caucus, I strongly believe in protecting natural spaces throughout our country. However, it is necessary to carefully study this area before including it into the National Wildlife Preservation System- some lands must remain available for development, mining, grazing, tourism, and recreation. Perhaps a compromise can be achieved whereby part of the area will be designated a national park, while some remains open to recreational uses.

H.R. 1925 has been referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources for further review. Although I am not a member of the Committee on Natural Resources, should this bill come before the House floor for a vote I will keep your thoughts in mind when considering it

Thank you for keeping in touch with me. If I may be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again. I also encourage you to visit my Web site, which may be found on-line at www.Souder.House.gov.

Sincerely,

Mark Souder
Member of Congress

If you would like to remain informed about this issue, please follow this link to subscribe to my e-newsletter updates. Click here to subscribe to e-newsletter

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:16 pm 
freezes his batteries off

Mac's letter is the same one I got from Souder. I can't imagine that a bill like that would get passed with the senators from Utah not on board. They can be the best advocates to inform congress of how important those areas are to the economy of the cities and towns the visitors use for food and lodging.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:55 pm 
spackled

99stompertj wrote:
...I can't imagine that a bill like that would get passed with the senators from Utah not on board. ....

Alot of things that happen in Washington are "not imagineable" and don't make any sense to us out here in the real world. Stranger things have been passed than this bill. :?

Anyone have any new info on this?

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:01 pm 

What happened with this?

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions