Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions

Post subject: May 15th TREC recap
 Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:27 pm 
Well, this was my first race out, as well as my co-worker bryan. Started out with some pre-running saturday before the race. On the first pre-run lap, i lost my upper bolts for my front sway bar links. It was my fault, i got in a rush installing and didnt use the proper hardware (little did we know, that same mistake would burn us later as well). So i ran back to camp and removed the sway bar completely for this race. It really made turns a lot harder, but i wasnt gonna give up just cuz of that.

Did some more pre-running which ended up turning into a rescue mission more than anything. First off, we came across a quad in a section of the course on green trail. As we passed, i saw a helmet next to the thing, but just figured he was workin on something. Then as we passed we hear someone yelling "HELP!!!" so we stopped immediately and hopped out to see whats up (jon was in front of me, and he heard it as well). Turns out the kid just rolled down the hill or something, but ended up pinned under the still running quad. His buddy beat us to it and lifted it off. He had the wind knocked out of him, but was alright otherwise. Then we continued. Toward the end of the course, it runs along the motocross track. While driving past, a guy on a dirt bike nosedived after a jump. We then all pulled over again to offer help. He was knocked senseless. Still conscious, but didnt know what was going on. Stayed with him for a bit, Jon gave him a good look over (volunteer FD). Seemed ok other than dazed and a cut on his head.

After that we did some more prep, then went to tech in. All went well there. Then we found out the race would be run differently. Instead of the normal 2 hours plus 1 lap, we would be doing 7 laps with a mandatory pit stop. Ill skip ahead and say that it didnt work like that in the end. I think after the race went for 3 1/2 hours, they decided to just call it where it was. I got 6 of my laps in though! and my mandatory pit stop which consisted of me flying in the pits, slamming on my brakes, then taking off.

My race went pretty good. Was going pretty fast at first. It started making some noises though so i backed off a little to try and conserve the rig. Night fall set in and i quickly learned that sometime between the night before and then, i lost my headlights, tail lights, and dash lights. All i had to rely on in the dark was my roof lights....which i had set for far ahead, so they where pretty much useless in the tight turning conditions of the course. I got out twice to adjust them before i had some useful light. Finished in 2nd place!

Bryan and macgyvr had a little more trouble in the 741 zj. On the first lap he lost both rear shocks due to using hardware not suitable for the load of the shocks. Both top bolts sheared off. He used the bolts that came with the mounts we bought. He figured they where good enough for circle track, they should be good enough for this. However, im thinking the stress from constant whoops was too much for anything less than grade 8. Luckily i had put in grade 8 bolts. as a result they lost a rear spring. However, due to some quick thinking and action by Bryan, Macgyvr, and i believe Spiny? from the Branik crew, they got the spring back in, and some make shift limit straps from ratchet straps installed. They then continued and finished the race in 5th place, only 1 lap down from me. Not bad at all for no rear shocks and having to reinstall a spring. Which by the way, Bryan had to run a good 1/4 mile or so to recover the spring lol.

All in all, for being built in less than 4 weeks, these rigs did damn good and far surpassed my expectations. Weve got a few more things to do that we wanted to get done but ran out of time. Then we are giving everyone a run for their money!

Also, we seem to have acquired the name "TREC twins" from several sources. It was even being megaphoned as we passed through the spectator area in the bowl along the main entrance road.

Special thanks to:
Jon (ffjeep) for several items and assistance
Kevin (kbjeep) for several items and assistance
Dan (USMC JN-3162) for a good deal on decals and working with me to get me what i wanted
Mike (tiptopcj5) for the last minute extinguisher help
Macgyvr for selling us some stuff we needed at good prices, co-driving for Bryan, and other assistance
Spiny with Branik for quickly helping get Bryan, Macgyvr, and the C741 ZJ back on track
Branik Motorsports for assistance in the pits, hospitality, and sharing a great time back at camp!
Macys Napa for working with us to get parts we needed in a hurry, and at an excellent price
Lance (04willys) for a trailer to get the C714 ZJ to and fro

And most of all, a HUGE thanks to Kyle and his family (Badlands owner), Larry (TREC coordinator), and the Badlands for creating, hosting, and continuing to run the TREC series. Its definitely some unique racing, and I hope it doesnt end any time soon.

If you havent had a chance to see a TREC race, i urge you to try and get there sometime to watch. Or better yet, build yourself a rig and run it!

Post subject: Re: May 15th TREC recap
 Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:45 pm 
Thread Necromancer

:2up:
Good deal, can't beat placing 2nd your first run out!

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:51 pm 
Mr. Google

sounds fun..

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 pm 
Good shit Dick! :tu2: I take it you have some new found respect for the uni-body Jeeps now?

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 am 
Jeeper in IN

Congratz Dick, Great job to you and Bryan.
Hope to se you Race some time this Summer.
:tu2: :tu2:

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:14 am 
philbert001 wrote:
Good shit Dick! :tu2: I take it you have some new found respect for the uni-body Jeeps meow?

he he, i wouldnt say that. Saw 2 of them literally come apart at the seams. When this one falls apart, unless another falls in my lap, i wouldnt mind finding something with a frame

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 am 
Pap's mirror

i thought the grands had full frames. :?

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:19 am 
Thread Necromancer

PapsOldDually wrote:
i thought the grands had full frames. :?

nope, thier uni's

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:39 pm 
Wears purple gloves

Glad I could help out! Great to see you guys had fun and made it home in one piece.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
1992 Toyota 4runner []
[color=#FFFFFF]1983 Jeep CJ5 258 I6 4 speed

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:51 am 
Dick wrote:
philbert001 wrote:
Good shit Dick! :tu2: I take it you have some new found respect for the uni-body Jeeps meow?

he he, i wouldnt say that. Saw 2 of them literally come apart at the seams. When this one falls apart, unless another falls in my lap, i wouldnt mind finding something with a frame

:eek2: I gotta see this track! were they in decent shape, or did the track just finish them off?

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 am 
Tang Soo

philbert001 wrote:
Dick wrote:
philbert001 wrote:

:eek2: I gotta see this track! were they in decent shape, or did the track just finish them off?

the one that was really bad was in decent shape and had about 6 races on it...the track isn't like pavement, its got a lot of whoops and bounces in it...good shocks as dick and bryan found out are the key to doing well in TREC.

I have a blast riding with Bryan, just wish the top bolts wouldn've have sheared off the rear shocks...

mac 'almost not sore' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:34 pm 
ya, its definitely a very abusive track. Good money on shocks are a must, as well as limit straps and bump stops. And a lack of rust lol. Next race i should have my limit straps and better bump stops on. Gonna do some control arm hardware upgrading as well. Only found one loose bolt so far, and im hoping thats the majority of my noise

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:08 pm 
philbert001 wrote:
Dick wrote:
philbert001 wrote:

Heres some video. Theres more if you go to youtube and search "TREC Badlands" The beginning of this video doesnt really do it justice. i dont know if the track has gotten worse over the year or what, but its a lot more wooped out now

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1oXPfjG_o14&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1oXPfjG_o14&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:09 pm 
also, Jon should have got some good film this race, maybe he will get it posted soon **hint hint**

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:19 pm 
Mr. Google

wow that looks fun!

Having never been to the badlands seeing those trails makes me want to go there all the more!!!

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:52 pm 
geekyjeep wrote:
wow that looks fun!

Having never been to the badlands seeing those trails makes me want to go there all the more!!!

Oh, thats nothing, thats just the trec course. It goes into a few of the trails, but doesnt show the full potential of the park. Its a great place to wheel! hopefully in the long span after this next race till the one after in september, ill be able to get down there in the TJ just to wheel

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions