Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions

Post subject: June 5 TREC recap
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:32 pm 
OUCH!!!! pretty much sums up this race. Track was not groomed at all, and it hurt. They also took us through the motocross track at the end of the course. That was fun! I jumped all 3 jumps every time i went through. One of the buggys, Scooby, didnt fare so well there. Ill let the video do the talking for him
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YTK869BcT6g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YTK869BcT6g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

As for the TREC twins....things didnt go so well either.

Ill start with Bryan since his story is shortest. On his first lap he ripped the right front lower control arm mount off, which then put the tire into the rear of the fender well and ate the tire. He then slammed into a tree, and after that ended up in a ditch off green.

As for me, it didnt go good from the start....literally. I was about dead in the middle of the line-up. When we took off, i got slammed in the right rear by the truck next to me, which spun me to the right. Then a cherokee slammed my right front door and fender, which spun me back left. Then a grand cherokee slammed my left front which put me straight again. All of which slowed me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Bryan got out a few ahead of me, but i passed him as he couldnt make turns due to the control arm mount. Then i started to smell coolant and knew it wouldnt be long. Sure enough, she pegged the temp gauge. Stopped at check point 4 and the steam just rolled out. Hung out there for a little while while she cooled, then i limped her back to pit. I thought it was the radiator, and thought i was done for sure. Then, like little offroad racing angels from heaven, a bunch of guys just swarmed my jeep. Quickly it was found that a heater hose let go, and they got right to work without so much as a word from me, just started tearing into it! I was shocked at this generousity. Pretty soon, i saw the radiator getting filled so i yelled at chrissy to gear back up, and sure enough we where back on the course. Then i almost ended it. I got going too fast around turn 1 into the long straight away, wanted to keep speed goin. Well she spun to the left in the gravel, and slid sideways for a second. It got really tipsy, and once she stopped sliding it fell back down.....it was on 2 wheels. I actually had already settled myself in for a roll, i thought for sure we where going over. Got back on the course and showed no mercy to that jeep. We jumped it so many times. We got some pretty good air too, and i really hope some pics or videos pop up of it. At the end of the race, i pulled back into the pit and everyones asking where my front end is. I didnt know what the hell they meant, till i got out. Somewhere along the course i lost my front bumper, grill, and headlight housings. he he. Sweet.

Shes hurt though, hurt bad. Gonna throw it on a lift this week sometime and see just how bad. Got some changes going on right now in life, and im not 100% sure ill have her back together, even though i have 3 months. Money is just not there. I guarantee ill be there for the next race though, whether im racing, pit crewing, volunteering, or just spectating. Its a blast! And for anyone who hasnt been to one yet, get out there. They are only getting better and better

Heres the jumps at the end of my last lap, sorry about how shaky it is. The camera came loose on its mount, didnt realize until i pulled it off the mount (currently the quality is garbage, but it says its still being processed. Should be HD quality soon)
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/shXPLxE9hgg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/shXPLxE9hgg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Ill get the c class start posted up as well once i can edit it down

Post subject: Re: June 5 TREC recap
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:51 pm 
Mr. Google

i was so tempted to drive over from muncie but decided against it...

ill try to make the next one.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:52 pm 
we missed you Jon!! lol

Oh, and i placed 7th after all my troubles. Had that hose not gone out, i was in 3rd and the way i railed on it, i think i would have done better, but what can ya do

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:11 pm 
That was bad ass :2up: :2up: Cant do that at the mall. :eek2:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:19 pm 
Jeeper in IN

ill tell yah what you do. you put it back together and rail on her harder

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 pm 
umbrobryan wrote:
ill tell yah what you do. you put it back together and rail on her harder

you funding it? I know you know what my cash in-flow is like!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:25 pm 
:) very nice :2up: :2up:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:28 pm 
Mr. Google

looked to me like they attempted an experimental 4 wheel mid air wheel, axle, and everything swap...

theyre very close to mastering the removal.. got a bit to go on reinstall..

but they get an A for effort!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:50 pm 
Well, 714 is hurting. Left my long list at work, but what i remember off my head
Damages:
both axles bent
right window blown out
front bumper, grille, headlights gone
rear bumper gone
both new motor mounts shot again
sway bar links broken, mounts are bent, and one mount is bent into the steering linkage
left front brake line loose
front bumpstops both shattered
rear bump stop bracket bent
oil pan dented from diff housing
left lower ball joint
coolant leak somewhere

Some more pics.

Heres what 714 looked like after the starting line

And at the pits after the finish line

And here she is back at the shop
Not so pretty anymore. If i had a dry place to store and work on it, id bust all the glass out and strip it, but i dont want it open to rain. Dont need any more rusting that whats already there

And for Bryans 741 rig, heres all his damage

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:59 pm 
Thread Necromancer

:tu2:
atleast when ya break it, you break it right!

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:01 pm 
Missing the right bolts

holy crap!!!! time to make some really beefy long arms???? and those were some awesome vids good job!! :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up:

FUCK THE DUMB SHIT

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:06 pm 
Jeeper in IN

The damn thing wouldn't turn left. I thought for a while after we stopped 150 ft after the last tree we slammed into that I was just over driving the vehicle but i'm not so convinced of that any more. It started off that the first real left turn sent me right, and into a group of two inch, ten foot tall saplings. I decided to save time just run them over. I made it out of that and carried on to check point one.

Got through that and made it through the dunes and the next sharp left was down by a pond. I ended up heading toward the pond, which was to the right of where I wanted to be and ended up in the pond pushing the jeep as hard as it would go. Dick and someone else squeezed by me because of the pond mishap.

Made it down the first section of green that has a fairly sharp u-turn at the end of it. At this point i've caught back up to Richie and he makes the u-turn and I attempt to follow suite but it goes right for the last time. I slam into a tree that didn't move. I hopped out and expect to see the Jeep in the shape of a V but low and behold the thing doesn't have a scratch on it. Climb back in, make it another 150ft and the fender eats the tire.

Only thing we can figure is that the lower mount sheared and I was running on a 3 link set-up for a while and then the right upper buckled and she was done. We will put it back together and carry on.

My wife Jami had an absolute blast for the short time we were in the Jeep. She was laughing and giggling and saying "watch out for those...nevermind". She has already scheduled work off for the next race. Shes more pumped than I am.

We ended up hiking back to the pits and helping out. The best part was when Richie came limping in running hotter than hell. He pulled up, got out and said shes done. That was not the conclusion everyone standing around thought. Some one ripped the belt off. Some one pulled the alternator out of the way. We chopped the hose shorter and put it back on. There had to of been at least 10 people running around like crazy trying to get him going again.

Richie says "I don't know if they will let me back in since I had to short course to get here." As i'm pouring the water in the radiator I yell at him to go find out. As he was getting back we get it topped off and capped and he hauled ass after that. He had a 22 min. lap the second time around. He even stopped on that lap to redo his crotch strap.

I must say the best part of the whole evening was Richie jumping the motocross track with no headlights. Everyone in the pit area thought he just blew another fuse. The closer he gets, the more we realize Richie has no front end to speak of. I think later we found out that Rosco saw it somewhere out there when he ran it over.

I haven't seen the results posted up here yet so i'm gonna post them for all to see. Also, If anyone has a Dana 30 or 35 laying around please let us know. We need 2-30s and at least 1-35. These new ones are gonna get braced something fierce. TTYL Bryan C741 Trec Twin 2

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:42 pm 
Jeeper in IN

sweet recap!!
Hope ya get her back together.

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions