Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions

Post subject: Save the Hammers
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:12 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Yes, the battle rages on...

Quote:
http://www.SaveTheHammers.Org
http://Congress.Org

The Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle area, otherwise known as the Hammers, is slated to be closed to the public. The 29 Palms Marine Base wants to expand and plans on taking most of the area.

Many off-road vehicle enthusiasts have tired of the "Save Johnson Valley" drumbeat. Right now, we have a unique opportunity to make a difference in the political landscape surrounding this issue and we need to re-energize our community to act now.

It is critical that everyone in our community calls your representatives and let them know how you feel about this issue. Budgets for the military are being cut and this will result in base closures. When the idea to take Johnson Valley emerged, it was a post-9/11 time with ever higher military budgets. The winds of change have blown to town and it now makes no sense to expand a base when there are other bases closing. Taking Johnson Valley would take a piece of land that is a revenue producer and make it a revenue consumer. The winds have also blown in King of the Hammers which is a major contributor to the local and nationwide economy. This race was not even a gleam in Dave Cole or Jeff Knolls' eyes yet when the Marines hatched their expansion plans. Now, the economic impact of this race may well be what saves Johnson Valley.

When you meet, talk, write, e-mail, your representative, tell them how this affects you and how you feel about it. Ultimately it is the revenue that is king and that should be a major focus of the comments and discussion to the representatives.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions