Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions

Post subject: Planning a little trip
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:31 am 
Male nurse in training

I'm planning a little trip when the weather gets warmer, any of you are welcome to join or ride with me. Here's the details.

Planning on leaving Friday morning and heading south. First stop will be Hooters in Indy for lunch. Not sure if I want to do wings or the buffalo chicken sandwich.. :lol:

After that, it will either be yellow wood forest or the Hoosier national forest. Here's the points of interest I want to hit.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zYgAlT8On1Xc.kqiSQCfz5mR4

My main focus will be running what's left of combs road, yes some of it's still open I guess, and legal to be on, as long as you stay ON the road. It dead ends I guess at what used to be a bridge. The rest is closed off by a gate, which I'm hoping they will let me hike some. Other than that I want to explore some of the points shown on the map. I will most likely camp there for the night.

The next day I will get up and head to yellow wood and explore some of the old county roads shown, one runs through a creek and must be caught when it's fairly dry, other wise I'm told it's two deep to cross.

If anyone wants to ride with you are more than welcome or bring your 4x4.

Post subject: Re: Planning a little trip
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:46 am 
Oldman Oprah

The last time I drove the TJ anywhere farther away than Ft Wayne, was a trip to Combs Road many many years ago (It's not a fucking tractor!). I got somewhere around 6mpg, and had to fill up (from half or lower) 5 or 6 times during the trip there and back. She also isn't roadworthy at the moment, with brake light issues, and a laundry list of little things that I need to finish up.

That being said, we are finally taking the plunge this year and buying a school bus to gut and make into a camper. Something we can take to music festivals, on camping trips, on long family road trips to see the country, and a Jeep hauler after I also acquire a trailer.

I have this unbelievably strong urge to take a trip just like you are describing. When our bus is ready, and I have a trailer, I will be happy to join you on such an adventure.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:47 pm 
Male nurse in training

Jeeper4Life wrote:
The last time I drove the TJ anywhere farther away than Ft Wayne, was a trip to Combs Road many many years ago (It's not a fucking tractor!). I got somewhere around 6mpg, and had to fill up (from half or lower) 5 or 6 times during the trip there and back. She also isn't roadworthy at the moment, with brake light issues, and a laundry list of little things that I need to finish up.

That being said, we are finally taking the plunge this year and buying a school bus to gut and make into a camper. Something we can take to music festivals, on camping trips, on long family road trips to see the country, and a Jeep hauler after I also acquire a trailer.

I have this unbelievably strong urge to take a trip just like you are describing. When our bus is ready, and I have a trailer, I will be happy to join you on such an adventure.

Then dude I have something that might be up your alley... Well two things. Google the KAT, kentucky adventure trail. It's something like 833 miles long, mostly old county roads some requiring 4x4, others paved. Some of it runs through old coal mining towns. Great way to visit and see back country. The other is called the Tennessee dirt devil, those are a series of old unmaintained county roads that I'm told require 4x4 most of the way, but again pretty cool scenery in the Tennessee mountains.

I'm wanting to turn my JK into more of an overland jeep than some extreme rock crawler, so I can explore areas like this. In time though.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:15 pm 
Jeeper in IN

You might double check what is actually drivable on Combs Road from someone down there before the trip. I went a couple years ago with a friend from the area that used to wheel Combs. When I went, everything had been closed off (although I guess the concrete barriers do get winched out of the way occasionally). We still hiked it, and it's a nice scenic hike at that. I'd just hate for you to make the trip anticipating some offroading and end up being disappointed. If you do head south, consider Redbird or Interlake. These are both awesome places to wheel. Redbird can get nasty with a lot of rain. Expect body damage if doing almost any of the trails in the mud. Interlake is more varied and much larger. Probably my favorite of the two.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:34 pm 
Male nurse in training

08H3 wrote:
You might double check what is actually drivable on Combs Road from someone down there before the trip. I went a couple years ago with a friend from the area that used to wheel Combs. When I went, everything had been closed off (although I guess the concrete barriers do get winched out of the way occasionally). We still hiked it, and it's a nice scenic hike at that. I'd just hate for you to make the trip anticipating some offroading and end up being disappointed. If you do head south, consider Redbird or Interlake. These are both awesome places to wheel. Redbird can get nasty with a lot of rain. Expect body damage if doing almost any of the trails in the mud. Interlake is more varied and much larger. Probably my favorite of the two.

It doesn't appear anything all that cool is left of combs road. Just the back half which looks be mud puddles here and there. However I would still like to check it out. And like I said hopefully hike the parts I can't go on.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:14 pm 
Jeeper in IN

95YJMan wrote:
08H3 wrote:

It doesn't appear anything all that cool is left of combs road. Just the back half which looks be mud puddles here and there. However I would still like to check it out. And like I said hopefully hike the parts I can't go on.

You can hike it (at least as of a couple years ago), and like I said before it is a good hike.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:17 pm 
Male nurse in training

08H3 wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
08H3 wrote:

You can hike it (at least as of a couple years ago), and like I said before it is a good hike.

Is it pretty over grown from not being used? Why do the barriers get moved? People going on it when they aren't supposed to?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:40 pm 
Jeeper in IN

95YJMan wrote:
08H3 wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
08H3 wrote:

Is it pretty over grown from not being used? Why do the barriers get moved? People going on it when they aren't supposed to?

Yeah, it's largely impassable by 4x4 but it's an excellent mountain bike trail. That's what I was told on the barriers-- guys would move them and wheel anyway. At least that's what I was told.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:46 am 
Male nurse in training

08H3 wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
08H3 wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
08H3 wrote:

Yeah, it's largely impassable by 4x4 but it's an excellent mountain bike trail. That's what I was told on the barriers-- guys would move them and wheel anyway. At least that's what I was told.

Wow, some people have some balls, can't you get in serious trouble for that on forest land?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:46 am 
spackled

Alan, when are you planning on going? Our CJ5 probably won't be ready by spring, but the XJ is hankering for a trip.
When we drove Combs Rd. in 2008, the best part was behind the barricades, (said barricades may or may not have been driven around). Found out later that we could have had our vehicles impounded, but it sure was fun. Any of the county roads or forest roads in the area down there are fun to poke around on. Haven't been down there for way too long.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:59 am 
Male nurse in training

AMXtogo wrote:
Alan, when are you planning on going? Our CJ5 probably won't be ready by spring, but the XJ is hankering for a trip.
When we drove Combs Rd. in 2008, the best part was behind the barricades, (said barricades may or may not have been driven around). Found out later that we could have had our vehicles impounded, but it sure was fun. Any of the county roads or forest roads in the area down there are fun to poke around on. Haven't been down there for way too long.

What does your cj5 need? As much as I would LOVE to I won't drive around any barricades. So will have to stick to hiking what I can't drive on.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:57 am 
spackled

Need to replace or rebuild the 304, fix some rust, and a lot of other little things.

If I knew then what I know now, we wouldn't have driven around them. There's still plenty to explore in that area. Maybe not so much if you're looking for extreme wheeling, but back roads, abandoned homes and buildings, (just don't get shot), graveyards, lost towns, etc.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:38 pm 
Male nurse in training

AMXtogo wrote:
Need to replace or rebuild the 304, fix some rust, and a lot of other little things.

If I knew then what I know now, we wouldn't have driven around them. There's still plenty to explore in that area. Maybe not so much if you're looking for extreme wheeling, but back roads, abandoned homes and buildings, (just don't get shot), graveyards, lost towns, etc.

Have you thought about going AMC 360? If I could of found an AMC 401 for a decent price I honestly would of went that route. Was also looking at a 360 in a CJ5 too. I knew no matter what I did, I wanted an AMC motor in my 5. I truly feel I scored big getting that 77. I wouldn't be this far along on the 81 if it wasn't for finding that thing.

Thats just it, I'm not really looking for extreme wheeling. I guess you could call this trip more of a site seeing trip, "overlanding" maybe :lol:

Last edited by 95YJMan on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:14 am 
spackled

I have a 360 that may spend some time in it, while the 304 is being rebuilt. Thought about keeping the 360, but mileage is a concern. With the T18s granny low gear, the 304 has all the grunt I'll ever need. Haven't decided the details of the 304 rebuild. Port fuel injection would be nice, but it's pricey. I have an Edelbrock SP2P manifold, (small runners, low RPM efficiency/torque). Considering a 401 crank in the 304 block for even more torque, without killing the mileage too much.
As far as the trip, we do a lot more back roads poking around, than we do "wheeling". As much because good wheeling places are hard to find as anything else.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:01 am 
Male nurse in training

AMXtogo wrote:
I have a 360 that may spend some time in it, while the 304 is being rebuilt. Thought about keeping the 360, but mileage is a concern. With the T18s granny low gear, the 304 has all the grunt I'll ever need. Haven't decided the details of the 304 rebuild. Port fuel injection would be nice, but it's pricey. I have an Edelbrock SP2P manifold, (small runners, low RPM efficiency/torque). Considering a 401 crank in the 304 block for even more torque, without killing the mileage too much.
As far as the trip, we do a lot more back roads poking around, than we do "wheeling". As much because good wheeling places are hard to find as anything else.

If you ever want to part with that 360, let me know!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:04 pm 
spackled

That particular 360 will find it's way back into a 74 AMX, eventually. I do have a Spirit that I need to part out that has a 360 in it, and no plans for that one...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:36 pm 
Male nurse in training

AMXtogo wrote:
That particular 360 will find it's way back into a 74 AMX, eventually. I do have a Spirit that I need to part out that has a 360 in it, and no plans for that one...

Are they basically the same as the jeep 360's?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:55 am 
spackled

An AMC 360 and a Jeep 360 from the same year are identical in every way, and very little changed from 1970 thru the end in 1991.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:26 pm 
Male nurse in training

AMXtogo wrote:
An AMC 360 and a Jeep 360 from the same year are identical in every way, and very little changed from 1970 thru the end in 1991.

I really like the 258, but who can say no to a v8 when the 258 goes. I mean the frame is already pre punched lol

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:39 am 
Male nurse in training

This trip has been completed, and it was a blast! Pictures soon!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:08 am 
Male nurse in training

Picture thread has been made!

https://bbb.jeepininin.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30977

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:23 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Fuck-n-a

:)

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:26 am 
Male nurse in training

Since I now know my way around a little bit, I'm thinking about making a second trip down to do a little hiking or mountain biking in some areas where vehicles aren't aloud. Can't decide if I want to do it in the summer or fall.. Not sure how overgrown areas will be where I want to get too is why I'm thinking the fall..

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions