Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 06 Jun 10
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:32 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Hey all, this is going to be a long road ahead of a buildthread but I am going to attempt a very trail worthy Liberty. I have some support from the community on this one like XJRyder and Tuffjarhead so far and anyone else is welcome to help when I have items to put on on things to work on. I will try to post days up that I will be working. Through talking with Tuff I think he has a pretty good idea of my "dream machine" for this rig and we will try to get it as close to that as possible. Some discussions have already included a D44 SAS in the front and some home made bumpers, they are going to be ugly and beautiful all the same time. I WANT it to look home made but the quality of the work I know will be second to none with the people around here helping out on it and with Tuff trying to get business built up for himself. This will not be a fast build by any means as I don't have money to support that right now, maybe when the VA comes through I can move it along at a lot better pace. I am hoping to save some cash with do it yourself work in some areas and anyone willing to help in any way volunteering I am sure will help keep my costs down a bit. Anyway, went out and took some picks of her as she sets now, not much different just added a few stickers and things and figure it will make pix for clix status relavance,
A little flex on the broken Passat wheel
A little paint on the hood, shooting for winter camo down the center lines, need to find a good grey. It may go another direction but this will be it for now. You can also see my infantry cord on the mirror.
Just a sticker I put on the side, I like it on there, and yes, I have the designation to display it
And the last I took today, and yes I can wear the wings to, they are tattooed on my chest as well :tu2:

Last edited by PC on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death ...SLOWWWWWW build
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:13 pm 
I'm not a libby fan at all.But I'am not gonna knock your rig either,that's not me(unless your Mr.chevyfatbag's or highcenteredxj :) ).I'm diggin the winter camo.Is it paint or vinyl?I thought about spraying the Cherokee snow camo style but it seems I'll be getting a new to me rig in a month or so!Are you gonna do a small lift and tires until the sas is in the works?There is a blue one running around with a small lift and black steelies that does'nt look to bad.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:31 pm 
Jeeper in IN

The hood is painted, it is flat paint clearcoated so the grey will be too but I have to find a flat gray that is not primer, don't want to make the hood rust out by putting primer on it and not sure clearing it would make it any better.

I would like to do the lift all at one time. It will either be the SAS or the 3.5" RK X-factor lift but I know if I go SAS I can get 5 or 6 fairly easy out of it and Tuff seems to want to do it pretty bad and I think it would be bad ass, obvioulsy not many around so it would be unique and more it more trail worthy without as many chances of breakage. Wheels I think I would like black with stainless street locks or the real deal if I could get away wiith it lol. But again that will depend a lot on the color I choose. I really like the idea od spraying it down ultra flat OD green and maybe digi camo the hood and do digi camo inside instead of the winter and give it more of a military flare, but not a cheesey one like you see where the guys buy 4 different colors, green tan, brown and black and go to town. I want it to look good but rugged. Probably going to look for 33 or 35s to run under it and get this thing up in the air the right way.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:36 pm 
freezes his batteries off

That's a lot of work on a Liberty! It would be pretty bad ass when it's done though. Someone had a picture of an orange one from out west with straight axles under it, on here. That thing was awesome!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:43 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Yeah I saw the orange one, it is under the KJ tech section with a couple others, if you wsnt to see some nice ones you can also go check out the trail ready web site. They were the first to do a SAS on one and it is bad ass.

I am really debating on flat OD green as my color. I know it has been done but damn it looks good when it is done right. I would say the renegade green but I want mine to eat the renegades and leak radiator fluid down their tires at the meer site sp I dunno

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:45 am 
Jeeper in IN

Good luck with the build, I wondered when somone would do this.

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death ...SLOWWWWWW build *Updated 2/4/10
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:49 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Did a little modifying to the Jeep tonight, got bored so I installed new front turn signals, I have also removed the bumper fascia to make room for a custom built bumper that may be sometime in the distant future, depends what it costs to get made. I had originally taken the front wheel well plastic off too but put it bak on as I think it looks better and the new bumper will be formed so there is not a weird looking open space on the edges. Anyway, the new turn signals are round to match the headlights and factory fogs already on the truck. I think it looks good, only had to cut the holes and trim some plastic right behind where they set that was meaningless plastic anyway. Anyway here are the pics.

And I actually think it looks a little better without that bulky front bumper fascia and the huge trun signals on it too, might just be me though..

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:32 am 
freezes his batteries off

Is it legal to run without the front bumper? I like the lights.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:45 am 
Jeeper in IN

99stompertj wrote:
Is it legal to run without the front bumper? I like the lights.

he still has a bumper he just removed the plastic pretty piece

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:49 am 
Jeeper in IN

yeah the bumper is actually still there along with the sensors for the air bags, the only thing removed is the huge bulky plastic piece that makes it look like it needed to lose it's beer gut

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 21 FEB 10-- Pic Intense
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 am 
Jeeper in IN

Well did a few small things the last couple days. My wife bought me a CB so I finally put it in, it comes on but need to test it with someone. Got some more stickers put on as well. I know not much but I said it would be slow lol.

Liberty on winshield and militaryjeepers sticker custom done by a friend

Close up of militaryjeepers sticker

Antenna placement on back, plenty of clearence on door.

CB placement, had just enough room and a crossmember on the roof to make it work

Mic placement, works good for me since everything else is down there like windows and 4x and E brake

Still my favorite thing, Class A crossed rifles inlaid in my shifter, the blue ring is there just hard to see in pic. Needs cleaned with some acetone still

Waiting on the Jeepininin stickers from USMC and then will post with those too and I found the cash to pay him for them so I was very happy about that.

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 21 FEB 10
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:40 pm 
Male nurse in training

You smoke in that thing?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:10 pm 
Jeeper in IN

lol yes I smoke in it but what you see is shavings from drilling not ashes. I try very hard to keep my truck clean unless I am actively working on it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:17 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Nice set up.
Next time you're at a truck stop you may look for a retractable mic lanyard, they are handy when you have your CB mounted like that.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Thanks Kennedy, will look into it. Went and had to buy a replacement connector today, bought a spring too, stupid thing broke from being hit on the door at Odaniels, I need to remember I have an extra 2' to clear now

Oh while at Odaniel's I got new ball joints, a new blower motor, and some reprogram of the computer that was causing the truck not to start properly in certain situations.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:41 pm 
trained to drive the choo choo

kennedy wrote:
Nice set up.
Next time you're at a truck stop you may look for a retractable mic lanyard, they are handy when you have your CB mounted like that.

I have one of those, but I think he'll be better off on the trail to have it like it is, it keeps it from swinging around.

My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 26 FEB 10
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:19 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Added a couple things. Got some tow hooks put on, where the bumper and the rails come togeher from the unibody is 1/4" thick steel and it is covered by the two square pieces on the bumper so it looks nice and clean. Also got a new more rugged looking front sticker for the windshield. Apparently someone thought the other looked to square or plain *cough* Tuff *cough* so I went with one like the style of my militaryjeepers.com stickers. I think it looks better so good call on that. Also picked up 2 D rings, with pins instead of screw on and a 10K snatch strap. I will sure be ready if it ever actually SNOWS or something lol

New window sticker

Tow hook placement

Overall so far

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Thanks Dan.....

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:47 pm 
Jeeper in IN

looks nice!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:28 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Repainted my hood. Still needs wet / color sanded and cleared but I think it turned out good and better than the plain white

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 23 April 10
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:16 am 
Wears purple gloves

Let me know if you need the SWR checked on your rig. I have a meter and would be glad to hook you up! Just PM me and we'll get together.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
1992 Toyota 4runner []
[color=#FFFFFF]1983 Jeep CJ5 258 I6 4 speed

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 10 May 10
 Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:52 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Added new radio and mp3 player, factory cd player was failing. Also mounted my jack. Also have the X Factor 3.5" Lift coming in the mail.

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:45 pm 
Will that rack hold the weight of that jack to keep it from hitting the body on hard bumps?

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:35 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Someone on Lost KJs has their's mounted in the same place and said they have never had a problem. I will be getting a basket at some point as well which will strengthen the beams themselves. The actual beam is metal. It also sets pretty far away from the body of the truck in reality. If I heard it hit I would just take it down til I get the basket on top or at least get some tubing to tie the bars together

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:31 am 
web wheeling is off the hook!!!

i really like what you did with your hood. you should try to do something like that with your fender flairs :?

1987 comanche 4bangin 4x4 (stock for now)
2007 powerwheels jeep unlimited

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:12 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Actually my flares I was thinking about getting a set of white trim to put on it from the same year limited. Not sure. It's either that or see what I can do about rolling the fenders and just taking the trim off all together. I am not sure. I want to get some decent tires under it but the back will rub I am sure. I am not sure what I will do yet.

If I find a white limited it will have all the right stuff and since it is all black and white already it might look alright. I would consider painting them to match the hood but they are plastic so no telling how long the paint would stay on them.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:16 am 
Mr. Google

on lost i think, one of the guys made flat style fenders from tube steel and sheet steel. Kind of like what you see on the JKs..

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Good to see you made it on here geeky, welcome. And if you can find a pic of that link it here or on Lost if you could. I have been pondering fender possibilities for awhile now and still not sure what to do with them.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:03 pm 
Mr. Google

Thanks!!

KJ Wildman made them. Hes on this site now too.. ill try to dig up the threads where he talked about it.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:04 pm 
Mr. Google

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=50541

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:52 pm 
Jeeper in IN

YAY MY LIFT IS HERE!!!!

BOO I HAVE TO UNDO THE BALL JOINTS TO INSTALL IT!!!!!

I am probably going to need help with it cause I have never messed with ball joints and the ones that are on the truck are brand new. They were just put on 2 months ago......

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 23 May 10
 Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:54 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Lift is finished, thank you Phil :2up: beer for all the help, couldn't have done it without you. It is hard to tell with the little tires on but if you look up a few pics you can see I got a lot more clearance, especially in the front end. Now I need to find some 31 or 32s to put on it.

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:58 pm 
Mr. Google

Looks Goood!!!

When i get my lift ill be running my oversized stocks..

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:32 pm 
:tu2: Glad I could help!

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:33 pm 
Mr. Google

what you doing for skids? im thinking of fabbing my own.. or having them fabbed local.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:49 am 
Jeeper in IN

actually considering factory skids, the prices are actually good on both the ones I want, the front and gas tank skid from the dealer. I am not sure if I can find them anywhere else for cheaper but I think I am going with factory ones. I am also thinking about getting a Westin Bull Bar which has a skid built into it, not sure yet. I would like a winch on the front but the winch bumpers are expensive and even getting a basic one fabbed will be about as expensive it seems as buying a Trail Ready bumper so not sure what to do.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:54 pm 
Mr. Google

i thought the westin bull bar was 100% cosmetic
and you will lose where your hooks mount in ( uses same holes)
Jparts.com you can get the entire set of skids for under 300 free shipping

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:29 pm 
Jeeper in IN

My hooks are installed by me not factory spots. I will check out the skids you said, depends which skids they are offering with the set on whether it is cheaper or not

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 28 May 10
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:30 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Got the new tires today, part of the insurance settlement came in. They are 265/70/16s, I was supposed to get 265/75/16s which are 1" bigger in diameter. I am debating though on whether to make them swap out or keep what I have. They do not rub, lock to lock, they are close but basically perfect fit for the lift and turning radius. If I swap them the tires will be .2 inches smaller in width but 1.1 inches bigger in diameter. I will debate it until tomorrow and see from there. I don't see where an extra half inch in height will be major. Also the tires on it were actually more than the bigger size so I am not losing on money. Anyway, here it is for now....

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 28 May 10
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:43 pm 
Mr. Google

i believe those are my exact tires..
i love them
i used to have the smaller width taller height and loved those too except for it putthe spedo a bit off.

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 29 May 10
 Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:47 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Well went back today and made them put on the 265/75/16s I wanted in the first place. They fit with minor rubbing on the front swaybar but I plan on new wheels with a smaller backspace so that should take care of it. Stock wheels are 5.5" backspace which is pretty bad. Also picked up my full size spare while I was at it so I don't lose points lol. Oh and also added my official "Get Bent Kustoms" stickers finally, thanks Matt.. Here is the final ride height, for now anyway.

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:41 pm 
Mr. Google

after my experience today...

SKIDS SKIDS SKIDS SKIDS!! from front to back!

make sure that along with the engine skid you get a skid to go in front of the engine to protect the front of your cross member.. i scooped up all kinds of crap today.

but its lookin good dude!!

loves me some timberlines.. wish they still made the MT

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:18 pm 
Jeeper in IN

They should still make them, Philbert on here runs 33s on his, maybe they are old though not sure. I went A/T so they would last longer on the street. M/T tend to get eaten up pretty quick and I did a trip to the badlands in an XJ with some horrible A/Ts and had a blast and only got stuck once but that was semi intentional. I would have rather been stuck than lose my rear bumper or something worse coming out of the tunnels. They were bad the day I was there. Anyway I love it now. I want better backspacing so it will not rub at all. As for skids I want a full set and I am thinking about a westin bully bar in the front, that would take care of everything in the front as it has a built in skid on the one that I want. It's either that or get one made similar to the westin one. And I am also looking at putting a backbone system on for a winch. It basically keeps the front stock in appearance but gives you a mount
http://detoursusa.com/kjbackbone.php

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:44 pm 
Mr. Google

so youre going to put your stocky bumper on?

i dont think you can put a westin on with your backbone.. i could be wront but i think they use the same mounts

BUT i also am contemplating the backbone..
i dont think it would take much to go off of the bottom of the backbone with some pretty heavy duty tubes and make a bull bar similar to the westin to go under the front..

sometime we should get together with printouts of installations for these things and look at your holes..

Ive also been thinking about fabbing a dual socket front hitch ( which i have plans for the 06)

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:22 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Well if I do not get a westin I may have Tuff fab me something up that will work around the backbone. And no, the stock bumper will never be back on, I like the look of no bumper fascia on it now.

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:31 pm 
Mr. Google

well..
look through these..
Westin ULtimate BUll bar
http://westin.iwebcat.com/imgVD/WET/75-0774.pdf

backbone
http://www.detoursusa.com/kjbackbone_install.php

i appear to be incorrect. ( i looked at these long ago and seem to have made some incorrect conculsions.)

it looks like the mounting holes for these two items dont conflict..

though i would worry about whether they will fit together at the front/bottom of the backbone and the top of the bar.

*edit* maybe not..

look at the last insert for the backbone.. it uses the same hole ( large squarish) hole as the westin..
you might be able to make them play together but it would be a stretch i think..

im not trying to bust your nuts i just hate to think youd buy this stuff and have it not fit. man.

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:46 am 
Mr. Google

i saw on lost that you put you got the rockk rawler lift.

i checked that out.

looks to be a better option than the spacer lift on the front.

hows it ride?

what is your measurements from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of your fender flares?

Post subject: Re: Liberty or Death Slow Build- UPDATED 06 Jun 10
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:10 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Just thought I would show as of today. I built a roof rack and put it on. May add more of a basket to it later but for now I can at least put stuff up there.

Geek what measurements do you want? The ride is kind of rough but part of that is the tires. I am okay with the way it rides though. The back is pretty much the roughest and that is because it is a normal spacer lift in the back and causing a lot more stress on the rear springs. I think that is pretty much going to be the case with any spacer. The front was nice and easy enough to put on with air tools. I picked it up from topguncustomz.com they sell on eBay too. Call them and make them an offer on one if you want it.

(If I am measuring the right spot it is about 20 and 3/4 inches)

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos