Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: The new project TJ
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:36 pm 
Well i dont have a nick name for it yet, so project TJ is all i got.

Ive already replaced all the balljoints prior to today. After that, i discovered they had been masking a steering issue.

Today:
Replaced tie rod at pitman arm (found it to be work after a second inspection). Still had a steering issue. Checked toe in the garage, found it to be pretty toe'd in. Adjusted that and now the thing drives great! Then i removed the stock front bumper and installed my beefier one. Got the winch set in place and wired, but i gotta run to hardware store tomorrow for bolts. Got my speaker boxes on the roll bar properly wired up instead of how they were. Got a dome light installed and wired. Pulled the headlight bezels off and painted black. I hate chrome. Pretty much it for today

Post subject: Re: The new project TJ
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:24 pm 
Done some more fixing things that werent done right previously. Rear track bar was on wrong, and hitting the fuel tank when the suspension was extended. So i flipped that back around. Rear shocks are loose, both have one bolt that broke apparently so when he put them in, he put one bolt in the right spot and another in a new hole, only its off center and barely holding the bar pin. Gonna need to take care of that. All the control arms where pretty loose, so i tightened those up.

Also got the Optima Yellow Top in.

This weekends plans include mounting the 35s on it. Replacing the radiator. Getting the tire carrier fixed, painted, and mounted. Then wiring up the CB and installing it and the antenna.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:50 pm 
Thread Necromancer

they make a bar pin eliminator kit for the shocks, may be worth looking into.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:14 pm 
a naked man tit in a highschool locker room

TTIWWOP

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:11 pm 
Watchamaklit wrote:
TTIWWOP

Most of these have already been posted in my babbling thread, but heres all i got for now

Right after buying it, filling it up for the 2 1/2 hour ride back home

In the shop getting the ball joints checked out and giving it the first quick look over on a lift

And the most recent, shot today at work on a tiny snow mound

Ill get more after i get the 35s mounted this weekend

Got to use it today to tow a van to the shop, and then to winch same van up the hill in our parking lot into the shop

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:56 pm 
Finally got the 35s on. Tried to at least dismount the 33s and mount the 35s on my own. i knew our shop balancer wouldnt be able to handle the 35s, but i thought our tire machine would be up the the task. However, them 33s where a very very tight fit on them fancy aluminum wheels. Our machine couldnt do it. So i had to take them to get all done. But, i did get them switched, balanced, and then back to the shop where the TJ awaited on my lift. Thanks to Andre for trying to help me do the switching, and for helping haul the wheels and tires around, as well as some other assistance. Ill get pics up tomorrow, too dark now for any good ones.

Once i sell the YJ, depending on what i get out of it, the next plans are tube fenders, rear corners, rock sliders, and SYE. Dont know if im going to do tube flares as well or just leave the fenders and tub flush. Also wanna get some extended brake lines asap. Still tossing around the idea of selling the 44 and putting the 8.8 in, but i think the 44 will be in there for a while so i can spend the money elsewhere.

So i guess the next task for this project, is selling the old project. Got a guy supposedly comming to look at it tomorrow, but ive already had 3 no shows so far so we will see

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:27 pm 
Here she is at work on the 35s. Had a customer bring a TJ in for a pre-purchase inspection (he ended up buying it afterwards), and i couldnt resist doing some comparison shots.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 pm 
freezes his batteries off

That green one sat at Taylor and Broadway for a few months. It had some military stars and numbers on it and they must have decided it would sell better without them. Looked like a nice Jeep.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:36 pm 
mr. snuffleupagus

:2up:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:59 pm 
Pap's mirror

99stompertj wrote:
That green one sat at Taylor and Broadway for a few months. It had some military stars and numbers on it and they must have decided it would sell better without them. Looked like a nice Jeep.

ha! it sure is. i didnt even notice that james...

looks good dick. :2up:

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:03 pm 
I personally liked it better with the miliary decals on it. Never the less clean looking jeep

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:26 pm 
haha, ya, thats where he got it. Didnt mention the decals, but i wondered cuz its got a fuel door on it, and it had an outline of a star.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:28 pm 
Oh, and i got a new radiator in the TJ today. Also flushed the heater core, it was pretty nasty and i was barely getting good heat. Now its really warm. Some time this week i want to get it in and change the rest of the fluids.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:45 pm 
Did an oil change, and changed the transmission fluid. Picked up a used sound bar yesterday for it. Gonna put my marine speakers in it and hopefully get it installed this weekend. That is all

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:19 am 
Some more pics

parking at Beach Bums M&G with Nick (trailretard) and Andre (Andre).

Some flex shots, front sway bar connected, no rear sway bar. Wanted some pre-disconnect shots

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 pm 
Feeds people vomit

nice flex yo

looks like more flex than the YJ. whens the next badlands trip?

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:25 pm 
Likes redheads from Disneyworld

looks good. :tu2:

Plenty of room for the 35s. I think 35s will fit on mine with the 3" lift...I may put on 1" body lift for a little more room.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:26 pm 
Chuck wrote:
nice flex yo

looks like more flex than the YJ. whens the next badlands trip?

April unfortunately. Wish it was sooner.

Definitely a little more flex than the YJ. Made some disconnects yesterday so that should give her a bit more too.

Theres some room for the 35s, but it puts them into the flares when flexing out. That will be getting cured with tube fenders and some cut out crusher corners once i sell the yj

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:23 pm 
Some shots with the sway bar diso'd

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:51 pm 
bought front and rear Solid Axle diff covers. Got them on today. Counted teeth to make sure and it does have 3.73s. After last weekend i wanted to be sure it was a LSD rear cuz it wasnt working. Sure enough, it is, but it must be wore out. When i put the covers on, i left the lsd additive out and i think it may be working a little already. Goosed it going around a corner to try and do a TJ wheelie, but it kicked the back way out. i wasnt expecting it at all, scared the crap outta me going that far sideways that fast, a little tippy.

The rear exhaust hanger bolt broke after last weekend too. Went to fix it and the exhaust pulled out of the downpipe where a cat would have been. Previous owner didnt get any of the clamps he used tight, so all of the exhaust was loose. Drove home tonight without it, and holy crap is it loud with no cat or muffler. Hopefully ill get that fixed tomorrow

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:27 pm 
a few pics as it sits now, cleaned and with the rear bumper/carrier fixed and installed

The new Solid Axle diff covers

Comming soon with the sale of the YJ: Extreme short sye, tom woods shaft, Regear to 4.88, high pinion dana 30 swap up front with a truss, lockers (probably just gonna be some Aussies for now), J20 steering box (or waggy box, seeing different things online, have yet to find a solid answer as to which is the better), and hopefully a stronger steering setup if theres enough left over

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:50 pm 
Jeeper in IN

must be nice to have powder coat on the 8.8 cover :doh:

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:40 pm 
04willys wrote:

what 8.8 cover??

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:42 pm 
Baby puncher

as for steering boxes, i'd recomment the durango box. in our parts program at work it lists turns lock to lock of our ps boxes. factory is something like 3.5 or 3.75 and the durango box is 3 even. if you want me to look up the others i can for ya.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:45 pm 
Jeeper in IN

nobarrierz wrote:
04willys wrote:

what 8.8 cover??

oh thats right when ya sent me that pic when you bought them i was thinking you were rubbin it in that your 8.8 cover came coated forgot it was a 44

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:28 pm 
TrailRetard wrote:
as for steering boxes, i'd recomment the durango box. in our parts program at work it lists turns lock to lock of our ps boxes. factory is something like 3.5 or 3.75 and the durango box is 3 even. if you want me to look up the others i can for ya.

j20/waggy boxes have a bigger core, supposed to be very close or identical to the psc boxes

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:02 am 
front and rear aussies ordered. Rear should be here soon, front is on back order. Should have the rear locked by Badlands, but wont have the front locked until i get the hp axle in.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:33 pm 
Got on my new Rugged Ridge crossover steering and a new stabilizer, all of which i picked up from the Baseline 4x4 folks. The J20 steering box swap i did is doing pretty good too, like it alot! The aussie locker for my 44 showed up, the one for the 30 should be in soon, its on backorder. Also, my sye and drive shaft should be in any day, shipped end of this week

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:41 pm 
Smokey rolls

the poor girl still dont have a name she is probably feeling no love just plain ole project tj :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:06 am 
xjtrey wrote:
the poor girl still dont have a name she is probably feeling no love just plain ole project tj :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

ya i know, just havent come up with anything yet. The yj went without a name for a year lol, then it just kinda happened on the way to the badlands...maybe thatll happen this april

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm 
Thread Necromancer

xjtrey wrote:

names sometime take a little time, you have to learn the vehicles personality and what not first.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:32 pm 
Today was a busy day. Got my skid plate off finally (nuts for the bolts where spinning in the frame). Then we fixed that problem by drilling out the frame holes and welding in some 1/2" nuts to the frame. Installed my teraflex extreme short SYE, and my Tom Woods rear driveshaft. Put it all back together and left off the tcase drop kit.

Also, my backordered dana 30 Aussie locker shipped out, should be here tuesday. Started working on the hp d30 thats gonna get swapped in after the badlands trip. Got half of a truss mocked up. Wont be as heavy duty as the Treks trusses, but it should work just fine, and it will reinforce the right side factory upper control arm bracket. Just gotta figure out if this first design is gonna interfere with the oil pan at all when flexed

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:13 am 
Male nurse in training

We need some fukkin pictures damn it! Girls mangina's!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:58 pm 
found the right rear axle seal was leaking pretty heavily suddenly, didnt notice it at all over the weekend while i was under it. So she got all new rear axle seals and bearings today. Still havent had a chance to get the pictures up (just too lazy by the time the day is done)

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos