Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: TREC racer
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:49 pm 
After watching the first '10 race, and running the course in my TJ, im hooked. As well as my buddy Bryan. So we immediately began looking for a rig. 3 days later, and weve gotten a 93 ZJ, 5.2 Limited. Shes in pretty good shape for a $500 rig. We know it needs control arms, they have rusted through the eyelets. However the rest of the jeep is pretty much rust free. The left motor mount is shot. Sway bar links are broke up front. Something also seems loose in the steering. Will know more once we can get it on the lift and take a look. Runs damn good though, and has plenty of GO still. Dauntless was kind enough to let me run it around his property before we bought it and it rode pretty smooth. I think its gonna make a great TREC star. Fenders, bumpers, and left door where off when we bought it, but it came with all the parts so they will all be back on. Missing tail lights, but no biggie, can find something to work

Current pictures

Post subject: Re: TREC racer
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm 
Look forward to seeing the progress Dick :2up:

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:15 am 
Tang Soo

you can buy sway bar links at autozone

i have some plastic seats forsale if you go with something other than the stock seats.

Also have a b-pillar rollcage that would weld into a grand as well (cheap).

mac 'leftover prune parts' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 am 
macgyvr wrote:

i have some plastic seats forsale if you go with something other than the stock seats.

I think we are gonna keep the comfy leather seats for now. However, pm me what ya want for that cage

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:27 am 
Tang Soo

Dick wrote:
macgyvr wrote:

I think we are gonna keep the comfy leather seats for meow. However, pm me what ya want for that cage

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, leather...i once sold and bought another truck because i wanted leather...

mac 'if you build it they will race' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:08 pm 
Got the fenders and bumper covers back on today. Also got the 32" Super Swampers mounted on the factory wheels just to see how it sits. Those wheels definitely wont do, which we knew. Gettin some better wheels from macgyver tomorrow most likely. May also be getting a b-pillar cage from him that was run in the ZJ he ran last season.

Heres some pics from today

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:03 am 
Jeeper in IN

Those tires look damn good on there. Even with the stock rims.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:29 am 
Well, they have lots of clearance issues with those wheels. Once we get them out farther, we can start doing some minor trimming to clear the tires. We should be around 2-3 inches lift when its all done.

Trying to stay in Class C as well

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:56 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Cool! I saw that on the trailer ther other day at tillman and anthony IIRC and figured it had to be a jeepin' person.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:45 pm 
yup, that was us. Bryan was towin it with his turbo'd Expedition, and i was playin chase in the XJ

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:31 pm 
Well, Bryan decided he wants to race his Ranger, so the ZJ has become my racer instead of a joint thing. So i have my 3rd Jeep!

Anyway, today i got the dash put back together. Also got the drivers window fixed. It had come out of the regulator and fallen in the door. Got it glued back in place. This thing really isnt in that bad of shape. If it werent high miles and already destined to be a racer, id be tempted to sell my car and daily this thing.

Also went out and got my fire extinguishers today. Tomorrow i should be picking up part of my cage, as well as some wheels. Still got alot to buy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:58 am 
Keep em' coming Dick. I'm interested to see what all is involved! I wouldn't mind racing one of mine after the wife graduates, and money is no longer tight! :tu2:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:53 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Sweet

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:12 am 
Wears purple gloves

DUDE!! Call me if you need another extinguisher! I can get you the hookup!

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
1992 Toyota 4runner []
[color=#FFFFFF]1983 Jeep CJ5 258 I6 4 speed

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 pm 
Tiptopcj5 wrote:
DUDE!! Call me if you need another extinguisher! I can get you the hookup!

already got em. $20 at walmart

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 pm 
Tried posting this the other day, but for some reason i must have forgot to hit submit

Picked this up from Macgyver, for one hell of a deal too i think

Also got some wheels from him to help with the turning clearance lol

Pulled the bumper back off until i get my lift and clearancing done so the tires stop beating it up

And got the hvac controls (with automatic temp control might i add) working, as well as the information center, cuz dammit i want to know what time it is, what day it is, when my next oil change is due, and what doors may be open while im racing!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:13 pm 
What have we become?! Went and looked at 2 more ZJs today......and bought one. Bryan, my coworker, bought it actually. Its a 95 Limited with a 5.2. Pretty much exactly like mine, only 2 years newer. Probably one of the cleanest ZJs ive ever seen. No damn rust anywhere. Interior is spotless. Under hood is clean, no real leaks. Same with underbody.

The bad.....she got smacked on the right rear pretty good. Tore the wheel and brake assembly, complete with caliper and bracket, clean off. Gonna need an axle to drive.

Right now he is in the decision process of try to fix it and race, or part it out. Told him ill go in half of the purchase price if he decides to part. Ill take what i need for mine, then we will split the rest of the profits from parting.

Its actually kind of a shame this happened to it. It really is a nice clean ZJ, hard to find. Funny thing is, they said he got hit by a Wrangler. Apparantly all it did was mess up the Wranglers headlight lol

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 am 
Tang Soo

Dick wrote:
What have we become?! Went and looked at 2 more ZJs today......and bought one. Bryan, my coworker, bought it actually. Its a 95 Limited with a 5.2. Pretty much exactly like mine, only 2 years newer. Probably one of the cleanest ZJs ive ever seen. No damn rust anywhere. Interior is spotless. Under hood is clean, no real leaks. Same with underbody.

The bad.....she got smacked on the right rear pretty good. Tore the wheel and brake assembly, complete with caliper and bracket, clean off. Gonna need an axle to drive.

Right meow he is in the decision process of try to fix it and race, or part it out. Told him ill go in half of the purchase price if he decides to part. Ill take what i need for mine, then we will split the rest of the profits from parting.

Its actually kind of a shame this happened to it. It really is a nice clean ZJ, hard to find. Funny thing is, they said he got hit by a Wrangler. Apparantly all it did was mess up the Wranglers headlight lol

rumor mill has parts being picked up today for it...

mac 'cleaning out the garage' gyvr

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 pm 
sorry, havent been taking many pictures lately. Been pulling late nights at the shop workin on the thing and never take a break for a pic. then by the time im done, i just want to get home to bed.

In the past few days ive been doing lots of welding. Cant really disclose what all ive been welding cuz i wanna keep some secrets to help with some advantage.

I did get 2 spots on the floor hillbilly patched. On the front seats, both rear, outer bolt locations on the floor had rusted through, barely anything holding them in. So i pounded out all the rust and welded in some patch panels. Then drilled new holes. I used a second small panel on the bottom that i just bolted in to "sandwich" the floor panel for a better hold. I didnt feel like grinding through all the anti-rust undercoating (that didnt work might i add) just to weld the panel in. This will do just fine.

Ripped the headliner out because i knew id be welding inside and it would just get burned anyway. Then i got the cage for it put in. Had to cut the rear bars off to fit it in, and then welded them back in place once the bar was set in its spot. Tomorrow im going to make some base plates to weld to the feet of the cage. They will in turn be bolted through the floor to another set of plates that will be welded to the frame via some tube.

I also have to get this thing lifted. Got some ZJ up country springs that should net around 1in lift, and also a set of Rustys 2in coil spacers and extended bumpstops. Hope to be getting that on this weekend as well

Still got a lot more stuff to do as well, its gonna be down to the wire i have a feeling, but hopefully itll be done in time for the May 15th race

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:04 pm 
Thread Necromancer

to extend the bump stops you can alwas weld a peice of tube to the factory bump stops, then re-insert the rubber piece into that tube; thats what we did for the rear of my dad's ZJ.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:56 am 
kennedy wrote:
to extend the bump stops you can alwas weld a peice of tube to the factory bump stops, then re-insert the rubber piece into that tube; thats what we did for the rear of my dad's ZJ.

The new ones came with the kit, and it was only 99 bucks, so figured why not. Gotta have them anyway

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:43 pm 
Ok, scrap the spring spacers and bump stops. Should have been patient. Bryan came up with a better idea that im gonna go with. Front to rear coil swap, 3 in lift coils in the front. It ends up being just about an inch shorter in the front than the rear, so we may cut my spacers in half to adjust...or just run as is.

Shocks wouldnt fit once lifted, so ive been drivin it around the shop with no shocks at all....quite interesting.

Ordered some Fox Racing Shox today, 10 in travel. That was expensive

Also, my G-Force 5pt race harnesses showed up, cant wait to get them in. Ordered them in blue so that down the road, if the ZJ blows up and i dont do another, they can be put in the TJ. The shocks should be able to go into the TJ also....and the cage could be made to work.....basically everything getting done to this thing can end up for the TJ if needed, which is helping me justify it all.....in some way.

Got a few other odds and ends things done. In the next few days im gonna weld feet to the cage and bolt it in place for now. Just dont have the funds to buy tube and materials to attach to frame yet. Also wanna get the tcase swapped

Its been hectic, spending a lot of long nights and weekends at the shop trying to work things out and get it ready. Still not sure if itll be good to go in time for the may race. A lot to do, and pretty much no more funds.

Still needed:
helmets and neck braces (getting my helmet tomorrow, still having trouble finding her a small)
radiator for a 93 ZJ 5.2
spare 32x10.5 and wheel
number stickers (working on those though)
white strobe light (know where to get it, just havent gotten it yet)
limit straps
would like to get some longer control arms for the rear (have a set of Rock Krawler adjustable WJ control arms to trade/sell if needed)
ZJ tail light wiring/sockets
Battery hold down (dauntless says he has it, need to make my way out to his place to grab it if he cant get to shop)
Driving lights
ZJ blower motor

If you have any of this, please let me know!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 pm 
I don 't have any spare parts to come off of, but I have had my ZJ for like 7 years now, and have done a lot to it. if you have any questions, or need any help, let me know. Rear ZJ shocks will work on your TJ, but you will have to pull the sleeve out of the bushing, and swap in the post with the ears on it.

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 pm 
Got a new radiator in it. Also removed the a/c condenser. Installed an extra trans cooler. Got my 3in lift springs on it. Got the front bumper cover back on. Need to take a saw to it and probably the fender, but waiting cuz i may be rocking 31s instead of the 32s. Also got 3 Hellas mounted on the roof. 2 brand new, 1 recycled from the YJ (the other became a victim of trail damage).

Still needed:
helmets and neck braces (getting my helmet tomorrow, still having trouble finding her a small)
spare 32x10.5 and wheel
limit straps
would like to get some longer control arms for the rear (have a set of Rock Krawler adjustable WJ control arms to trade/sell if needed)
Battery hold down (dauntless says he has it, need to make my way out to his place to grab it if he cant get to shop)
ZJ blower motor

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:10 pm 
Tang Soo

Dick wrote:
Got a new radiator in it. Also removed the a/c condenser. Installed an extra trans cooler. Got my 3in lift springs on it. Got the front bumper cover back on. Need to take a saw to it and probably the fender, but waiting cuz i may be rocking 31s instead of the 32s. Also got 3 Hellas mounted on the roof. 2 brand new, 1 recycled from the YJ (the other became a victim of trail damage).

Still needed:
spare 32x10.5 and wheel
limit straps
ZJ blower motor

dick if you need to you can borrow grace's helmet for her for the race if you want to save some $$ for the may race...

mac 'girls don't sweat' gyvr

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:08 pm 
macgyvr wrote:
Dick wrote:

Still needed:
spare 32x10.5 and wheel
limit straps
ZJ blower motor

dick if you need to you can borrow grace's helmet for her for the race if you want to save some $$ for the may race...

mac 'girls don't sweat' gyvr

thank you good sir. If we dont end up finding one for her in time or have the funds, ill let ya know

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:59 pm 

Thats what $1500 in shocks looks like.

Got our Fox Shox in, now in the process of trying to figure out how we are gonna mount them. pretty sure we got the front figured out, just working on the rear. The top post is too big, and the bottom bolt is too small. So the bottom will be easy, just a bigger bolt. The top stud is gonna require some effort though.

Gettin down to the wire, long nights ahead

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:58 pm 
Feeds people vomit

Wow....you're dedicated if you're spending that kind of green on this project!

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:11 pm 
Chuck wrote:
Wow....you're dedicated if you're spending that kind of green on this project!

hehe, ya kinda. Ive always wanted to race. Then i started wheeling, and it wasnt really all that fast, but it was fun. Never really been much of a rock guy, but i love trails Then TREC came along, and it combines the 2 (trails and racing). After one lap around the course in my TJ i was hooked. Just took a little pressuring from a co worker to start building....after i started theres no going back. Broke the TJ at the april fools run, and its still sitting in the garage broke, all attention has been dedicated to the ZJ and prepping to race. Really excited! If it falls through though, everything can be put on the TJ, which has helped me justify spending so much....in some way

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:32 am 
Tang Soo

These ZJs did awesome this weekend! I won't spoil the story but the TREC twins represented well! I had a blast riding in the #741.

I expect Dick to tell the full story tommorrow...

Hopefully some pics too!

mac 'good times!' gyvr

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:43 pm 
sorry, havent been on in a while really. and i didnt know where to post about the race....so ill just go put it in the wheeling section i guess?? Either way, I took 2nd in the 714 ZJ! Jon (ffjeep) took 3rd in his TJ, and Bryan took 5th in the 741 ZJ....he would have done better, but ill explain that in the other post. There where 10 entries in our class total

The rig wasnt completely ready either. And after a quick look over on the lift today, i really cant find much damage, just a loose upper control arm bolt so far really. But it was just a quick look over, ill get more in depth with it after work tomorrow.

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:02 pm 
Did a lot of work today. Went through and replace a lot of bolts, upgraded to grade 8 where there werent some. Need to replace the you.c.a. bolts all the way around, but couldnt find the right size.

Fixed a problem with the front lower shock mounts. Installed extended bump stops in the front. Need to make a bracket to shorten the up travel in the rear, so the bumpstops bottom out before the shocks. Got another set of lights on the roof. I didnt have near enough light at the last race, especially with my headlights out. Makin sure that dont happen again. Turns out it was just a fuse that took down the headlights which is what i figured it would be. Since the factory fuse panel cover doesnt have them labeled out, i took a sharpie and a diagram of all the fuses and wrote on the front of the cover what the necessities are. The rest are just spares as far as im concerned.

And i used my nice new $200 body saw to trim a good 1.5" from the front fenders/bumper, and about .5-1" from the rears. Couldnt go as much in the rear due to some panels comming together there. If theres one thing im seeing, its dont mess with the structural integrity of the popcan if ya want it to last at all.

What i hope to get done by next race: limit straps, HID, truss axles, lengthen rear track bar

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:34 am 
:2up:

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:21 pm 
some pics of my TREC ZJ in action at its first race

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:35 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Dick wrote:
. Need to replace the you.c.a. bolts all the way around, but couldnt find the right size.

They are metric, Can't recall what size though off the top of my head.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:48 pm 
Dick wrote:
What i hope to get done by next race: truss axles,

Just saw this the other day, and for 25 bucks, you can't really go wrong! It's at least a good start to a decent truss setup! thought I'd share! http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=ADS-99&Category_Code=BP-B_S

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:37 pm 
She started a diet today. Getting gutted, all non essential interior and underhood components are getting pulled and tossed

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:37 pm 
Mr. Google

have you roll caged it yet? is that allowed for your class?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:08 pm 
geekyjeep wrote:
have you roll caged it yet? is that allowed for your class?

is allowed, not required but highly recommended. I do have a cage in mine. Nothing fancy, just enough to hopefully keep the roof off my head if i roll

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:01 pm 
Smokey rolls

roof on the head is no fun at all (neither is glass shards down the back of youre pants )

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:39 pm 
Thread Necromancer

xjtrey wrote:
(neither is glass shards down the back of youre pants )

:doh:

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 pm 
Well, recently i lost my job. Unfortunately, the shop i was at was also my storage facility for the racer, just didnt have enough room at home. So, when i lost the job, plan was to get the racer home, get the shocks off and put on the TJ since its shocks are completely blown out and damaged. Then pull of useable parts for the other racer of Bryans and scrap the rest. However, every time id go outside, id see the race sittin in the garage and it was a reminder of how much time ive put into the damn thing. So, i just simply couldnt bring myself to get rid of her just yet. So the work began and after a lot of cleaning the garage (not only do i need to fit 2 jeeps in it, i have to fit the tiny tool box i already had and the tool box of things ive acquired as a mechanic for six years), i got everything to fit.....very very tightly. Ill have to pull one of them out to do any work, or to even get to anything in the garage, but i am very proud that i made them both fit lol. Cant afford to get her race ready right now, but at least i can sit on it until i find a job. Already have a front axle, but need a rear axle to match the different ratio (dont really wanna spend money on setting up a diff)

First i drove them straight in, but i needed assistance making sure i wouldnt hit anything since i need them as far to the right as possible.

Then, after pulling them out to get some more stuff done, i decided to back them in. This way i can see everything and get them squeezed as far to the right of the garage as possible

Check out how bent that front axle is lol. Thats what jumping a ZJ over and over and over again will do to a non-trussed d30. But, if you look just to the side of the ZJ, theres another dana 30 waiting to go in

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:41 am 
Thread Necromancer

Glad you're able to get everything worked out to a sense.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos