Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: Swing out gerry can carrier. high lift/spare later.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:35 pm 
Well, I have a Gerry can, and have been wanting to build a carrier for it. The only problem is that I'm still running a stock rear bumper, (For now), and it's not strong enough to hold any kind of carriers. Well, I needed a project, and I had an idea. I figured my class 3 hitch would be plenty strong enough to support whatever, and I came up with a plan. I have a 5 3/4" drop hitch, and I figured if I flip it, it's like a 4 1/2" rise. (plenty up and out of the way for wheeling.) This way, I can still remove the carrier, flip it back over, and use the hitch. I dumped my buckets-o-scrap metal, and found 2 9"x4", 1/8" plate triangles with 1/2" lips on the long side. I ground the side of my hitch, and tacked the first one on the drop/rise part of the hitch. then I butted the other one up against the first, and against the level ball mount part of the hitch, and tacked it in place. I haven't finished welding it solid yet, but I'm welding it from both sides, so it's good and solid. Between the two angles of the hitch, and the 1/2" lips on both plates coming together at the outer end, it's bulletproof! I put my floorjack under it and jacked the ass end of my XJ off the ground without any flexing, and I haven't even welded it up completely! I still need to make the frame to hold the can, and the swingarm. If anyone has any scrap 1"x1" box around that they wanna sell, let me know. Or 1"x2". Here's some pics. I think it's pretty self explanatory what I'm doin'. I'm trying to make the can ride in between the license plate pocket and the left taillight. If anybody has any Ideas for the arm or the gascan frame, let me know.

Attachments:
DSCN1601.JPG
DSCN1601.JPG [ 176.29 KiB | Viewed 4992 times ]
DSCN1600.JPG
DSCN1600.JPG [ 178.28 KiB | Viewed 4992 times ]
DSCN1598.JPG
DSCN1598.JPG [ 175.85 KiB | Viewed 4992 times ]
DSCN1597.JPG
DSCN1597.JPG [ 176.17 KiB | Viewed 4992 times ]
DSCN1596.JPG
DSCN1596.JPG [ 179.27 KiB | Viewed 4992 times ]
DSCN1595.JPG
DSCN1595.JPG [ 185.63 KiB | Viewed 4992 times ]
DSCN1594.JPG
DSCN1594.JPG [ 181.18 KiB | Viewed 4992 times ]
DSCN1593.JPG
DSCN1593.JPG [ 176.25 KiB | Viewed 4992 times ]

Post subject: Re: Swing out gerry can carrier. high lift/spare later.
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:04 am 
Missing the right bolts

nice skillz man me likey wanna make me some fenders now lol

FUCK THE DUMB SHIT

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:24 am 
Phil has been doin a little gluein huh! Lookin good man way to use what you have layin around the garage :2up:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:32 am 
rodknee123 wrote:
nice skillz man me likey wanna make me some fenders meow lol

Thanks bud! I saw your post about your fenders, I think some XJ tube fenders would be bad ass! Other than that, I don't really know what you could do.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 am 
Dirty tranny

nice philbert you are a madd genius very nice job :tu2:

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 am 
Missing the right bolts

ya im gonna probably go the tube route i guess then some sheet metal from the tubing to the body

FUCK THE DUMB SHIT

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:42 pm 
rodknee123 wrote:
ya im gonna probably go the tube route i guess then some sheet metal from the tubing to the body

:tu2: You buy the tube bender, and I'll provide the welder! I think if you come around with some bad ass tube fenders on an XJ, we could get the whole grocery getter crew rollin' tubes!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:50 pm 
I've got the carrier 90% done today. I've got a bunch of pics, but too tired to post tonight. I'll see if I can get them on tomorrow. I'm really pretty happy with how it came out. It's no fancy bent tube, nice deal, but it didn't cost $400 either. It's strong, and functional, and after I sand blast it, and paint it, it'll look pretty good!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I will admit...i have been brain storming of how to pull off tubes for my getter too!!!

6" teraflex longarm lift
arb winch bumper/no winch YET
bought as is, but will never be done!!!

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos