Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ] 
 Post subject: PC's 99 TJ build UPDATED: 15 July 10
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:13 am 
Jeeper in IN

Hey all this is my build thread for the TJ. I put the lift on last night, 3" BDS lift. Today I am having some trouble. My steering wheel is out of alignment now and I also have a vibration in the rear end under acceleration, I think that is from the driveshaft. I was supposed to have a drop kit for the TC but the instructions were not there for it though there were a lot of bolts left over besides the ones for the rear swaybar links which I did not put on because I just ditched the rear one. Any ideas how I can get my steering wheel right again and if it is likely what I am thinking on the vibration? I will throw a picture up later today of how it looks on the lift after I get tires which I plan to do later today as well.
Stock

After lift and tires, spare still waiting for wheel.

Last edited by PC on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: PC's 99 TJ build
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:24 am 
Mr. Google

i would start with an alignment. and then id question the angle of the rear axle.. but im not a TJ guys so im not sure on the rear vibration.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:27 am 
Jeeper in IN

Will the alignment recenter the steering wheel for me?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:29 am 
Mr. Google

yes. make sure you say so though.

but that is part of the alignment.

ive heard FOX is a good place to get alignments

i went to Tuffys on jefferson with good luck too

should cost 45-60 bucks.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:44 am 
mister wiskers

The vibration is due to the driveshaft angle, you need to fix it before it tears up the rear end or the tcase. The steering wheel can be adjusted back to straight by the alignment shop, or you can do it by adjusting your drag link length.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:46 am 
Thread Necromancer

your tie rod needs adjusted longer, that will correct the steering wheel. They can do it when you get an alignment.

Definately your rear driveshaft causing vibes I'd guess. The Tcase drop isn't that hard. Its basically just longer bolts and spacers for the skid plate.
Loosen all the bolts for the skid, don't completely remove them though. Support one side with a floor jack, remove bolts from that side, lower the skid down a bit. Slid the spacers in on that side, install longer bolts, don't fully tighten them. Next, repeat that on the other side. Now tighten all the bolts.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:47 am 
Jeeper in IN

Matt, As far as I knew there should have been a drop kit for the TC in the box, would that correct the driveshaft angle?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:48 am 
Thread Necromancer

PC wrote:
Matt, As far as I knew there should have been a drop kit for the TC in the box, would that correct the driveshaft angle?

it should, but not always. With only a 3" lift, it should take care of the issue. If not an SYE is in your future.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 am 
mister wiskers

PC wrote:

Yup

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:00 pm 
Dirty tranny

yup to what kennedy/ tuffjarhead said just seen this on extreme 4x4, sye install that is, ian might be a tool but he does have good info lol

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:34 pm 
no need to spend money on an alignment as long as it drove fine before the lift. Like topper said, the drag link needs adjusted. The drag link is the one from the pitman arm down to the right side of the tie rod. Easiest way to do it is make sure your wheels are pointed straight, have someone sit behind the wheel and watch it. As you adjust the drag link the wheel will move one way or the other. Have the person watching let ya know when its goin the right way and when its straight. Then drive it, if the wheel isnt straight goin down the road, adjust it a little more.

Or theres the other way....just live with it lol. Thats what i did for the YJ and the ZJ, just too lazy

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:14 pm 
I do a mean tape measure alignment! if you need some help, let me know!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:00 pm 
Dirty tranny

philbert001 wrote:
I do a mean tape measure alignment! if you need some help, let me know!

i can vouch for this statement :2up:

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:46 pm 
freezes his batteries off

Take it and get it aligned. It worth the money to save tires!!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:42 pm 
I had mine aligned about 2 weeks after I lifted it, and the guy who aligned it said my tapemeasure alignment job was only .2 degrees out of spec! On a vehicle where an alignment will dial in camber, caster, and toe, I say spend the money and have it done, because you can't do it yourself without a few grand worth of specialty tools, but on a vehicle where all that is getting adjusted is toe, (like a Jeep), do it yourself, because you can do it right without all the tools! If you know what you are doing, there is no reason you would be chewing up tires, and you will learn that much more about what makes your Jeep tick! necessity is the mother of invention! I do stuff myself because I can't afford to pay someone to do something I can figure out myself, and it's much more satisfying to be able to say you did it yourself!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:09 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Update: I did have a spacer kit for the TC just no instuctions with it for doing it lol, such a big help they were. They printed me up a set though and I installed it. Worked like a charm. I may take you up on the help with the alignment Phil. I don't think it is too bad more just the steering wheel is off. I will let you know. And I will have to get the pics up tomorrow, after I found the camera it is too dark out to take a shot. I will also add a shot of my other toy I bought today in the proper forum lol. I am setting now on 33 10.5 15s, they were all I could find in stock. My wife can not get in the Jeep very well now so I think I am high enough lol. Anyway thanks for all the info everyone. The TC spacer did work to take care of the vibration,

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:37 pm 
on a solid axle jeep, doing a lift wont mess up the toe at all. The steer ahead and caster are what need adjusted. Steer ahead is just an adjustment thats not really necessary unless the steering wheel being off a little bothers you. And the caster can be adjusted with adjustable control arms. So like i said, as long as it drove fine before the lift, it should be alright now. Neither steer ahead or caster are tire wearing angles, so ya wont have to worry about chewing up tires. Toe and camber are all that mess up tires

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:08 am 
Mr. Google

ya unfortunately it looks like my IFS will be pidgeon toed and knock kneed until i get it aligned after the lift.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:43 am 
Dick wrote:
on a solid axle jeep, doing a lift wont mess up the toe at all.

Not entirely true. Since the tie rod doesn't go from wheel to wheel like it should, but instead bolts onto the drag link, when you lift your jeep, you increase the drag link angle, therefore shortening your drag link. Since the tie rod bolts to the drag link, when the drag link angle increases, you are effectively shortening your tie rod, (Knuckle to knuckle), Thus ,increasing your toe in measurement. If we had a real tie rod/ drag link setup, they would be unrelated entities,(Independently attached to their respective components, not one another), thus, lift wouldn't affect toe measurement.

Post subject: Re: PC's 99 TJ build UPDATED: 2 July 10
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:11 am 
Jeeper in IN

Added some pics of the lift and wheels and tire selection, still waiting on the bumper.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:15 am 
I say flat fender it.....I think we know a guy that does a damn good job with flat fenders and flying pigs :eyebrows:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:16 am 
ok ok, youre right. I forgot Jeep has that goofy steering design from the factory. I put a crossover steering setup on mine. With the factory steering, you will indeed need to adjust toe. Which is done very easily with a tape measure (and a helper makes it a lot easier). Adjust toe, then adjust steer ahead, and youve saved yourself 50-a couple hundred bucks depending where ya go and what they decide "needs" done. all you will need is a 15 or a 13mm socket, dont remember which, a pipe wrench, and a tape measure.

I suggest the crossover steering though if/when ya have the money to get it (its actually not that expensive, cheaper than a lot of other steering conversions, just another item that needs to be budgeted in, if your limited on what ya can spend like me). It makes it a true solid tie rod knuckle to knuckle, and the drag link only bolts onto the tie rod itself. Its also a lot stronger than the factory setup.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:22 am 
Missing the right bolts

i agree with dick i always tape measure align my jeep and i had the steerin wheel problem as well the lift makes the pitman arm farther from the tie rod making the drag link need to be adjusted accordingly. and if greasy sphincter gonna wheel it more that once in a blue moon then i wouldnt wanna pay for an alignment since it might be thrown off after a few trips i know mines always off

FUCK THE DUMB SHIT

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 pm 
He said Flying pigs,lol

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:46 pm 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

ask anyone..... i can be kinda handy with a sawzall....... :? :? :? :eek2:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:13 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Well I went ahead and got the alignment done today and they corrected the steering wheel. Glad I did it. I do not have rear bumpstops so I hope I do not have issues there. I know I need to extend at least one hose on the brakes unless it is just a vent but it goes down to the little box that has like three nipples on it so I assume it is an actual brake line. I am not sure what I want to do about fenders yet I know I do not like the plastic ones on there though so I will definitely be doing something with the fronts at least.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:52 pm 
Dick wrote:
With the factory steering, you will indeed need to adjust toe. Which is done very easily with a tape measure (and a helper makes it a lot easier). Adjust toe, then adjust steer ahead, and youve saved yourself 50-a couple hundred bucks depending where ya go and what they decide "needs" done. all you will need is a 15 or a 13mm socket, dont remember which, a pipe wrench, and a tape measure.

Amen brother! :tu2:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:10 am 
PC wrote:
Well I went ahead and got the alignment done today and they corrected the steering wheel. Glad I did it. I do not have rear bumpstops so I hope I do not have issues there. I know I need to extend at least one hose on the brakes unless it is just a vent but it goes down to the little box that has like three nipples on it so I assume it is an actual brake line. I am not sure what I want to do about fenders yet I know I do not like the plastic ones on there though so I will definitely be doing something with the fronts at least.

On the rear axle im assuming? Thats gonna be a supply line, and then splits off for each wheel. There should also be a diff vent comming off of that block too

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:23 pm 
PC wrote:
I am not sure what I want to do about fenders yet I know I do not like the plastic ones on there though so I will definitely be doing something with the fronts at least.

I think Bill/Ozzy/Gumby, Still has his bushwhackers He took off his TJ. Send him a PM!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:09 pm 
mister wiskers

philbert001 wrote:
PC wrote:
I am not sure what I want to do about fenders yet I know I do not like the plastic ones on there though so I will definitely be doing something with the fronts at least.

I think Bill/Ozzy/Gumby, Still has his bushwhackers He took off his TJ. Send him a PM!

If we only knew somebody that could make nice tube fenders...

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:50 pm 
Dirty tranny

ROC wrote:
I say flat fender it.....I think we know a guy that does a damn good job with flat fenders and flying pigs :eyebrows:

:flipoff2: :doh: lol

GOD,

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:51 pm 
Dirty tranny

philbert001 wrote:
PC wrote:

yes i do :?

GOD,

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:52 pm 
Dirty tranny

Tuffjarhed wrote:
philbert001 wrote:
PC wrote:

If we only knew somebody that could make nice tube fenders...

hey i think i know somebody :?

GOD,

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:57 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Got my front bumper today and installed it and the winch. Also getting my full size spare done today.

Post subject: Re: PC's 99 TJ build UPDATED: 8 July 10
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:07 pm 
Mr. Google

looks nice.....

paint that swaybar! ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:57 pm 
Jeeper in IN

looking good pc...looking good

6" teraflex longarm lift
arb winch bumper/no winch YET
bought as is, but will never be done!!!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:16 pm 
Jeeper in IN

What bumper is that?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:25 pm 
Jeeper in IN

it is made by Best Top, think it is called the Highrock bumper, I have the back coming too. It now has D Rings on the top, the bottom holes are for a roller that I am debating on buying. I still want to buy the guard for it too.

http://www.teakatrucks.com/97-06-Wrangler-Replacement-Bumper-by-Bestop-p/best-4290101.htm

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:36 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Thanks

I thought it was a highrock, but didn't know for sure. I have the high rock on the back of mine.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:08 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I have one on order for the back on mine as well, should be shipping soon I got the shipping number today.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:43 pm 
people like to walk off with those d-rings thougt i should warn ya. whats the roller for the botom holes? looking better!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 pm 
Ya those Damn D Ring Thieves got me, watch out, seem to be attracted to the nice jeeps, Good job!!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:18 pm 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

don't do the roller, i don't think it would help ya much... and i could go either way on the tube for the top of the bumper.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:24 pm 
She's looking good Paul! Like the bumper. :tu2:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:41 am 
Jeeper in IN

Thanks for all the compliments. Not sure what to do after I get the back bumper on. I was thinking about getting lockers but not sure what to get. Maybe I should take the D Rings off until I need them so no one decided to run off with them.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:51 am 
Mr. Google

the d ring pins have holes right? is there some way to rig a kind of lock to make them harder for thieves to remove?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:17 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

xjryder wrote:
Ya those Damn D Ring Thieves got me, watch out, seem to be attracted to the nice jeeps, Good job!!!!

That would explain why mine is left alone (for the most part).

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:37 am 
boarderbm wrote:
whats the roller for the botom holes?

? :?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:11 pm 
Thread Necromancer

PC wrote:
Thanks for all the compliments. Not sure what to do after I get the back bumper on. I was thinking about getting lockers but not sure what to get. Maybe I should take the D Rings off until I need them so no one decided to run off with them.

rocker guards.... trust me...

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:13 pm 
Thread Necromancer

geekyjeep wrote:
the d ring pins have holes right? is there some way to rig a kind of lock to make them harder for thieves to remove?

If its the screw in pin type, probably not. However; you can weld a nut on end to the end of the pin that has the threads, then put a lock through that. The but has to be slightly smaller diameter than the pin.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 pm 
Jeeper in IN

boarderbm wrote:
boarderbm wrote:
whats the roller for the botom holes?

? :?

It is just for an approach roller, so you roll onto things instead of scraping the bumper

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:14 am 
Jeeper in IN

Ordered a set of rock sliders with a step on them for my wife and a set of grab handles. She is a tad short to get in easy lol so I thought I would be nice. They are the reversible bar type and mount to the frame not the body from Quadratec. I searched eBay but they did not have them. I am also looking, or thinking about getting the Tough Stuff Hood Rack and lighting kit but not sure if it is any good and what kind of wiring needs to be done to hook up the lights, anyone have any experience with this?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_300.htm
and the light set
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_301.htm

Post subject: Re: PC's 99 TJ build UPDATED: 15 July 10
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:29 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Got motivated and put on the rear bumper I bought. Matches the front bumper. High Rock 4x4 by Best Top. Has spot for roller as well as 3/4" D Rings and a 2" Receiver. Nice bumpers. Can also see the full size spare mounted finally.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 pm 
Thread Necromancer

I personally don't like the hi lift mounted there, also, not sure if those lights would work with the jack in place?
I also don't think the lights would be that good there... they may shine out in front, but it would be a long ways out, since they are so close to the hood, there is no way for them to project down to the ground, plus I think there wouldbe alot of glare off the hood. IMO

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:49 pm 
Thread Necromancer

IMO this is the best way to mount a HiLift, and it costs maybe $10...
http://www.quadratecforum.com/showthread.php?t=10446

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:54 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Never thought about the not being able to move the lights. I had been warned about hood glare though. Would it be better just to use my regular mounts for the jack and then maybe get the bar for my bumper? I think it has light tabs x2, would have to double check though. I can not see the post you linked because I am not a forum member Kennedy. I guess I will figure something else out. Also plan on buying a locker for the front axle when I get paid. The rear seems to be locked already in some sort or another, probably the normal trac loc I guess. Or the previous owner added something but I don't see that as being the case.

I definitely want to get some lights on it though. I was also looking at the light mounts that attach at the windshield frame or like I said checking to see if the bar for my bumper has a couple tabs for installing at least.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:57 pm 
Mr. Google

i would go bumper lights or lower windshield lights.. i agree with kennedy the hood lights dont seem to be a good idea. IMHO

lookin good with the matching bumpers.. are you getting the roller for the rear too?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:04 pm 
Thread Necromancer

If it were me, I'd mount the lights on top of the winch/fairlead.

As far as the jack mount, I posted a link to the orginal "Yzer-mount", I'm sure if you google it, something will come up.
Anyhow, all it is, is a couple of chainlink fence hooks around the rear-roll bar, with some carriage bolts through them.
Here are a couple of pics, hopefully you can get the idea:

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:35 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Thanks for the link Kennedy, a little gloss black paint and those would fit right in, good idea and probably pretty cheap to do as well. By the way, what happened to the base on that jack? Looks like it was removed.

Anyone have experience with the lights that hook up by the windshield mounts and whether those are a decent idea or do I just need to suck it up and put them on the bumper?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:51 pm 
freezes his batteries off

I have windshield mounted lights on mine and they work well. The only problem is some of the light is sent into the cab and lights it up good.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:59 pm 
I had them on my YJ. Got more glare back in my face than anything. Maybe with a darker color vehicle it wont be as bad. The race jeep is black, and the lights on the roof reflect off the hood, but i dont feel they glare at me like the YJs windshield lights did

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:13 pm 
Jeeper in IN

We run run a set on the windshield of two of our Jeeps. One runs a set of KC 100w (Orange Jeep) and the other Jeep runs a set of HID's (Black Jeep) and they work awesome. I don't notice the glare like you said you got Dick.

1-260-636-7565
1-866-554-5946 (toll free)
Rugged Ridge Floor Liners Rugged Ridge Light Kits Alloy USA
Specials and Rebates

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:03 pm 
Thread Necromancer

PC wrote:
By the way, what happened to the base on that jack? Looks like it was removed.

just know the roll pun thats in there from the factory out, and replace it with a 1/4" removable pin.
The whole set up can be made for about $10.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:14 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Got my rock sliders today in the mail and installed them, will have to ask the wife where the camera is at so I can post a pic of them up

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:57 am 
Feeds people vomit

It's looking sharp, now we have to get you to the badlands to scratch up your new sliders and bumpers!

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:39 am 
Jeeper in IN

I think that is a good idea Chuck, a very good idea indeed, in fact I am going to post something up in wheeling and land use and see if I get any hits

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:20 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Sold the TJ
/Thread

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ] 

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos