Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: Rugged Ridge Hd steering Kit for YJ W/ GOFeRIT TRE Flip
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I need to start this off with a couple disclaimers.

First, if you are not comfortable with modifying or installing steering componanats then please let a qualified mechanic do this for you.

This thread will include modifying and using a manufacturers product in a manner that was not nessescarily intended and will most likley void any warranty on said parts.

This is what I did and what I went thru to do my steering. There may be and probably is better ways but this is not an opinion thread just some info from my experiences. Also just becuse this is what my jeep ran into does not mean your jeep will have the same issues. All wranglers are different.

That being said I can explain what I am doing. the factory YJ steering tie rod is attached to the bottom of the knuckle via TRE(tie rod ends). I will be moving them to the top is where the troubles came in with using the RR kit.

Here is what the factory steering looks like:

The kit that I purchaced from Baseline 4x4 outfitters was this one:

http://www.baseline4x4.com/p-554-1805083-rugged-ridge-heavy-duty-tie-rod-and-drag-link-kit-includes-4-tie-rod-ends-1987-1995-jeep-yj-wrangler.aspx

I am not gonna get into the details of the kit itself but I will say that all the parts are very nice and it seems like a really good quality kit. Time will tell of course. I will also say that if you are just installing it in the factory configuration it should work flawlessly.

So onto flipping it to the top of the knuckle. You need to do a few things and this is where my troubles started. First you will need to drill the knuckles to install the Goforit TRE flip bushings which i got from here:

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

I ordered 2. When I got them they are a quality unit.

So first you need to get the jeep up in the front and get the old steering stuff off. I'm not gonna explain that too much. Becuse if your working on it you've had it jacked up before. Just make it safe.

Take a couple measurements between the front of the knuckles and the rear to try to get them back to where they were. Mine were 50.5" from inside of the knuckle to knuckle in the front and 50.75" in the back from the same point. Yours my be different but the point is to try to get it back to where it was so you can drive it to an alignment shop. IMHO you can measure the drag link but it's gonna be so different it really won't matter that much.

So now it's time to drill a 3/4 inch hole in the factory knuckle to install the flip bushings. I used a 3/4" 118 degree bit but really you should use a 135 degree bit but I only had the 118 degree bit so...

I made this to try to make sure that the bit stayed centered and did not walk or waller the hole out.

Post subject: Re: Rugged Ridge Hd steering Kit for YJ W/ GOFeRIT TRE Flip
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:34 pm 
Jeeper in IN

The pin was to make sure that the guide lined up with the factory hole. I used plenty of cutting oil and it drilled really nice. I was able to just use my 18v dewalt cordless to drill both holes. I would also say that making the jig is not nessescary but I did NOT want the hole crooked at all. I have seen people that have drilled them free hand. So take it for what it is but this took very little time and made things go in really nice.

So now you have two 3/4" holes in your knuckles. No turnig back now. LOL!

Pic of hole with Go for it bushing:

Bushing in the hole:

I welded the lip all the way around on the top. It is suggested that you can just tac them in place but I figured why noy just weld in in all the way.

So no i'm ready to install the steering. So I assembled the tie rod and TRE's and set them in place. At this point I realized there was an issue. When flipping the passenger side TRE over it places the morris tapered side of where the drag lnik attaches to the back side. This will not work. The drang link needs to still be mounted on the front. So now what to do? Well i decided just to drill out and flip the morris taper on the passenger TRE. Now I only ordered 2 bushings from goforit but I did measure what they sent me and eneded up turning down my own bushing for the TRE. I copied the bushing from them exactly. I have a small mill and lathe and was able to make this myself. I shlould have just ordered another one to save time but will explain later why I am glad I didn't.

I drilled out the RR yj TRE and installed the bushing and welded it in.

This is basically what you end up with:

So now I am ready to install everything. Well it did no go to plan. I installed the revised kit and ended up with clearence problems between the Tie rod and drag link. Also the drag link was too long adjusted all the way in. Which made sense because you are raising it up by several inches.

Here are some pics of the clearence. Not touching but way to close for my liking:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:35 pm 
Jeeper in IN

So now what? Well let me go back some. From the begining i noticed that for some reason RR had placed a bend in the new passenger side TRE. I believe it was there attempt to adjust the location of the drag link and put it more in line with the passenger knuckle helping the twisting action that the factory steering tends to do. Not sure really but this seems to be where my trouble is. You can sorta see the slight bend in the above pics.

When the kit is installed in the factory location the bend is towards the back of the jeep. When you flip it on top now the bend is towards the front of the jeep. Well this places it closer to the draglink

So i did some research and came up with this. I first called RR and to be frank left 2 messages with their customer service tech line and never recieved a call back. So i decided to call Jarrod at Baseline 4x$. He is pretty close and participates a lot with my local Jeep guys. He helped me a TON. It turns out that the RR HD steering kit for the TJ is exactly the same ~EXCEPT for the fact that the passenger side TRE is bent the opposite way of the YJ one. WOW! So really if your gonna flip this kit you need to order a TJ steering kit instead of the YJ one, Go figure.

He eneded up giving me a TJ TRE to try out . So a link to the TJ kit is:

http://www.baseline4x4.com/p-553-1805082-rugged-ridge-heavy-duty-crossover-steering-conversion-kit-84-01-xj-cherokee-94-98-zj-grand-cherokee-with-6-cylinder-and-1997-2006-jeep-tj-wra.aspx

You can just buy TRE's from RR and a link to the one you would need is:

http://www.baseline4x4.com/p-524-1804327-spare-tie-rod-end-78-shaft-left-side-thread-passenger-side-short-tube-82-86-wide-track-replaces-part-number-only.aspx?keyword=18043.27

Now you still need to drill it and flip the morris taper just like the Yj one. So this is kinda why I'd glad I did not order another bushing from goforit.

Now becuse I am extra anal I decided to make the bushing differently. I am not gonna get into the specs of it but I have a blue print and can spec it for anyone that wants to make or get one made. Just let me know and I can pm or email the spec sheet. It's sets the drag link connection about 3/16" futher out to gain more clearence.

This is what I did:

So now that I got the bushing made I welded it in and cleaned it up and repainted it.

So now to shorten the drag link. I ended up taking .625" off each end. You need to refile the threads inside by hand but there is plenty of thread in the rod. I could have taken off another 16th or so but it still gives me a small bit of adjustment.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:35 pm 
Jeeper in IN

So now I get to finally install everything YAY!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Still tight but plenty of clearence, this is the closest it gets.

So final install notes. I first installed the Tie rod. Set the distances measured from earlier between the knuckles. Then set the wheels straight. The I centered the steering wheel and then attached the drag link. I did end up having to remove the pitman arm and rotate it over one slpine to center the steering and still have proper side to side motion to hit my steering stops. I am still gonna take it to get it aligned or at least to check it.

Tightening the jamb nuts can be a bit tricky. I eneded up getting some thin service wreches in 1 1/4" to tighten them without rounding them off. You need to tighten the first jamb nut to the tub on both sides and then tighten the second jamb against it. It's a bit trickey but one you play with it you'll see what to do. When I am satisfied with the alignment i will blue lock tight the jambs to makse sure they don't back off.

Also when you buy the GOFORIT bushings they supply a spiral flanged nut instead of the standard castle nut and cotter pin. I like the flanged nut because it adds contact surface on the opposite side of the flip bushing but I don't like not having the cotter pin. SO I measuered out and drilled holes int he flange nuts to be able to install cottor pins on the tie rod ends for the knuckles.

I also had to trim the stock track bar mount off. I don't have a trac bar and will never put one on but if you have one and want to retain it this wont work. I took off more than needed but better be safe than sorry. You can see it trimmed off in some of the final install pics.

All in all this went pretty well but I am sure that if I know that I wwas gonna have to modify so much I would have just built my own kit most likley using heim joints. For the money I have in it it seems worth it. and performs pretty well, looks beefy, and adds some difference to the old jeep. Also it lowerd my steering back down and tightened everything up a lot.

I am sure I forgot some things so if there are any questions or more info needed just ask. :)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Nice write up.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:27 am 
Male nurse in training

Cool! I have been wanting to upgrade the steering on my YJ for awhile. In time..

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:52 am 
Thread Necromancer

I was thinking, the only think that would suck about that set up, is if you were out wheeling somewhere and broke or bent your steering, then being able to find parts to get you rolling again for the rest of the trip... Other than that, nice setup...

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:59 am 
Jeeper in IN

Yeah it's an issue for sure. It also in an issue that RR hides it's tre types. I have napa chassis catalog and I am gonna try to match up the TRe to have a spare. I still have the modded yj TRE and it would get me off the trail for sure so it's going in my tool box but having the correct spare would be best.

If i can't match the TRE up i'll just order another tj one from RR and mod it and put it in my tool box.

But again yes this is an issue that people need to be aware of. If you bent a tube on this you might have other problems to worry about.

All is possible when wheeling, so if your not prepared it's best to at least be aware so there are no surprises.

Thanks guys. It feels great.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:10 pm 
freezes his batteries off

Nice job! I have that RR cross over on my TJ. I had a TRE issue with premature failure. Tony and Jarrod were quick to replace the ends under the warranty and I put washers on the TRE studs to make sure they were nice and tight.

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos