Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: What all recovery gear do you carry in your Jeep?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:10 pm 
Male nurse in training

Here's my main two bags I carry
The small bag contains: some driving gloves for when needed, a tire deflator, tire pressure gauge, and my winch controller.
The big bag contains: A winch cable damper, tree saver, winch extension strap, recovery strap, two d-rings, snatch block, and my winching gloves.

So what all do you guys carry in your Jeeps?

Post subject: Re: What all recovery gear do you carry in your Jeep?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:18 am 
Oldman Oprah

To be completely candid, right now all that is in my TJ are a pile of parts on the back seat that I need to get installed. haha

That being said, I have three ammo cans that I have been accumulating 'trail gear' in, that will eventually be mounted in the jeep. The two traditional sized cans will each be on a rear fender, sealed against water, and padded for rough trails. The third is what I call 'half sized'. It is the perfect width to stow a tow strap, and will end up mounted to the inside of the tailgate.

I have low and regular psi tire gauges, adjustable quick deflators, gloves, fuzes, a handheld halogen spotlight that plugs into the lighter socket (until I get the underbody trail lights installed), a small first aid kit... and that's all I can remember at the moment.

If we are going to Attica or some other 'wheel all day' type place, I bring my 'carry' toolbox. Sockets, standard screwdrivers, common wrenches, hammer, pliers, duct tape, electrical tape, etc. And during the winter I keep a small plastic tub in whatever I am driving that has my wheeling/mud/snow boots, a fleece emergency blanket, emergency jacket, duct tape, fuses, etc. Mostly it just stays in the van, but when the TJ hits the road again in a couple weeks, I'll probably move it back and forth depending what I drive what day.

If I had a winch, I would definitely have more gear like you stow. But I just usually keep some simple safety stuff, unless it is an actual 'wheeling' trip, then I bring the tools and lots of water and that sort of thing.

Good post. Next?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:07 am 
Male nurse in training

yeah I need to get myself a basic set of tools to keep in there. I guess I left that out.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:39 am 
Oldman Oprah

95YJMan wrote:
yeah I need to get myself a basic set of tools to keep in there. I guess I left that out.

I don't have a special set of tools for the Jeep. I have my shop tools, in the roll box and cabinets in the barn, and I have a 'carry box' with basic essentials that I can bring to the house when I need, or throw in the van to take somewhere for a project, or toss in the Jeep for preparedness on a wheeling trip. Just the typical stuff. Very common sockets, pliers, wrenches, gloves, that sort of stuff. I just throw it in the mix if I'm going to Attica or somewhere I am going to be out on a trail all day. It is the equivalent of a simple first aid kit for the TJ. :P

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos