Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: retread tires
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:11 pm 
Dirty tranny

well i am going to try out a set of retread 31x10.5x15 goodyear wrangler rts i purchased them from a company called treadwright.com for $84 a piece incld ship & hand i have read 6 testimonials on there website from people who use there tires for dd's and 4x4 use tire size's from 31" to 37" and all seem to agree that these tires r just as good if not better then the brand new tires right off the assembly line plus some state that these tires (retreads) last longer then brand new i also talked with an employee there (called to see how long my tires would take to arrive impatient i am) the gentleman i spoke with has a land rover and goes wheelin and he loves his tires 37"

check out this website and read some testimonials
www.treadwright.com

cant wait for my tires :tu2: :eek2: :tu2: :eek2: :tu2: :eek2:

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post subject: Re: retread tires
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:32 pm 
Thread Necromancer

:tu2:
Good deal, glad to hear ya found something that works out well for ya.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:21 pm 
what it was before for all i care

let us know what you think of them... :tu2:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 am 
Jeeper in IN

I'm suprised how they can get away with copying some of the companies tread patterns. Clearly they have the Goodyear MT/R, BFG A/T, Bridgestone A/T. I'm interested to see how these perform.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 pm 
Dirty tranny

well as in my last post all seems well they grip exceptionally well wet or dry pavement also a lot less need for 4hi when it does snow pretty decent traction on ice as well as can be expected
i am going wheellin this weekend so i will post up on performance after trip :tu2:

personally i dont care what they copy as long as performance and price r within my budget
sorry to union tire workers gotta do what i gotta do

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:33 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Pic below is of my 88' Samurai with the same tires your talking about in a 31x10.50 size and an A/T tread pattern. They worked great, I daily drove on them for about 2 years, and they wore better then the Swamper LTB's that replaced them. After this pic, I put on a set of beadlocks and it became a dedicated weekend trail rig and even did great when I aired them down. They are awesome for the price. I have a set of 33x12.50's in the M/T pattern on my 78' CJ7 and they work well also, see second pic

TreadWright 31x10.50's A/T tread pattern

TreadWright 33x12.50's M/T pattern

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:55 am 
Dirty tranny

sweet!!!! :2up:

so you have had no wear trouble in the center as opposed to outside wear ?
mine seem to be wearing down in the center and not so much on the outside?
i keep forgetting to check air pressure i believe thom steele tire put 30-35psi in them
any suggestions seeing how you have some experiance with retreads?
great to hear beadlocks work well would like to do that myself extreme 4x4 had a show where you could do beadlocks for about $60 a rim and a good welder and weldee? lol (not me)
great lookin rigs :tu2:

GOD,

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:56 am 
Extra wear in the center usually means too much air pressure. try letting 5 lbs. out of them all.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:37 am 
what it was before for all i care

philbert001 wrote:
Extra wear in the center usually means too much air pressure. try letting 5 lbs. out of them all.

x2

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 pm 
Dirty tranny

they only had 35 psi in them now i am down to 30 is this a safe psi?

GOD,

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 pm 
freezes his batteries off

I run 25psi on the street in mine.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:22 pm 
Dirty tranny

99stompertj wrote:
I run 25psi on the street in mine.

wow ok i'm assuming this means worse gas mileage also right?

GOD,

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:40 pm 
Dirty tranny

well i sent an e-mail to treadwright and they ask me to send them pics so i did but im not sure if they depict what i am trying to show all that well does anybody have a good way of taking pics of tread on tires where they show depth? really well

GOD,

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:00 am 
take a side view shot with a penny between the treads, or even a small MM ruler would be best oz.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:01 am 
Dirty tranny

k txs

GOD,

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:11 am 
Jeeper in IN

tellozzy wrote:
sweet!!!! :2up:

so you have had no wear trouble in the center as opposed to outside wear ?
mine seem to be wearing down in the center and not so much on the outside?
i keep forgetting to check air pressure i believe thom steele tire put 30-35psi in them
any suggestions seeing how you have some experiance with retreads?
great to hear beadlocks work well would like to do that myself extreme 4x4 had a show where you could do beadlocks for about $60 a rim and a good welder and weldee? lol (not me)
great lookin rigs :tu2:

Thanks, as for wearing, don't have any trouble with it, but as listed above I run mine at about 25 PSI too. They recommend that you keep your tires properly inflated to get better gas mileage, but they wear out the centers if your drive on the road a lot.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:53 pm 
Dirty tranny

i sent an e-mail and 2 pics of each tire using a penny to show depth of tread to treadwright more specifically (joel) and explained the sitaution to him and he e-mailed me back and ask when i bought them that there may be a rubber issue if they where purchased from nov-08 thru feb 09 i told him i had purchasd them right around then and he said that he would send me 4 new ones they would arrive in 3-4 weeks hopefully this is not the start of problems to come
(seemed a little too easy) :?

GOD,

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 pm 
Quick bit to help ya with your psi when ya get the new tires. Every rig is different and requires different pressure in the tires due to tire size, wheel size, and vehicle weight due to add ons such as bumpers, winch, other misc equipment. To figure out what you should be running is really quite simple, but may take a little while. First fill them to the recommended pressure from that factory, found on the white sticker in the drivers door jam (If its not there anymore, i usually set tires at 33-35psi). Put a white (or any easily visible color) chalk line across the tread on all 4 tires. Drive down the road, around the block, etc. Just enough to wear the chalk away in spots. Where the chalk wears away is your contact patch with the ground. If it only wears in the middle, take away some pressure. If it only wears on the edges, add some pressure, just a few pounds at a time. Your goal is to get it to all wear from the tread patch. Thats when you have most contact with the road and will get the most even wear. However, because there is more resistance when ya have more contact with the ground, you will get slightly worse fuel mileage. But normally the amount of money you save in gas by airing your tires way up doesnt offset the cost of replacing the tires more often, so just keep in mind its a jeep, not a honda, economy is out the window. Also, make sure you chalk at least one front and one rear tire, because due to weight differences you may require different pressures front to rear. Keep pressures on the same axle the same as well, or you can end up with a pull one way or another. Hope that helps ya and anyone else who didnt know!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:49 pm 
Dirty tranny

kool no problem i will do that when the new ones show and also to the ones i have on now i am assuming i will be able to keep the ones i have on now joel @ treadwright did not say anything about returning the ones i have now so i think i will run these thru summer then put new ones on right before winter now i need to find me 4 cheap as cheap can be rims for one set and then have wheelin tires and pretty tires :tu2:

GOD,

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:08 am 
Jeeper in IN

tellozzy wrote:
kool no problem i will do that when the new ones show and also to the ones i have on meow i am assuming i will be able to keep the ones i have on meow joel @ treadwright did not say anything about returning the ones i have meow so i think i will run these thru summer then put new ones on right before winter meow i need to find me 4 cheap as cheap can be rims for one set and then have wheelin tires and pretty tires :tu2:

I ran the 31" retreads for 3 years and 50K miles before getting my BFG M/T's. I ran 24 up front and 26 out back with the hardtop on, then lowered the rear to 25 in the summer with just a soft top. This was with a 2.5L and it's much lighter than the 4.0 or the pressure would have been higher up front. They performed great and had very even tread wear and never had a flat with them. They had 1/4" or more tread left on them when I sold them. I would have bought the retreads, but I needed 32's at the time and they didn't sell them in that size.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:58 pm 
Dirty tranny

wow i hope i get that kinda life out of these i will be watching my new ones carefully

GOD,

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)