Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: Got a question for everyone about unlimited
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:49 am 
Jeeper in IN

I looked at a 05 6cyl unlimited wrangler. Now i have a 97 wrangler 4 banger 5 speed and i do good off road. Can anyone tell me how the unlimiteds do. I like the look and i can use it to pull my trailer. So it would be more of a daily driver. But maybe some day off road ready. Can you tell me the ups and downs wrongs and wrights. It has no lift and 33-12.5 r15. Has a really nice look to it. I know rub like crazy with them tires. But still wondering. Let me know thank you everyone

here is the price and what it looks like

http://www.odanielmotor.com/used-invent ... 39b8e71842

Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone about unlimited
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:05 pm 
what it was before for all i care

would be a great platform to start with. d44's front and rear locked, already has rocker protection. Longer wheelbase is alway a plus. I dont know much about them, but I would make sure it is a "Rubicon" and not a look alike. I thought they had 2 switches for the lockers one for front and one for rear. I only see one? I may be wrong or over looking it. I just breifly looked at it. Not sure what kind of trailer you are looking to tow, but im sure it would do fine with a small utilty trailer or something simalar. Sure someone else will chim in with alittle more knowledge of these... :tu2:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:17 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I think the TJ/LJ-based Rubi's all had the single switch for f/r lockers... press once to lock the rear, again for f/r locked, or something like that. :?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:27 pm 
Particle Man

I test drove that one. It seems pretty nice. I think they are rated at 3500# towing for the Unlimited. I wouldn't worry about rubbing for daily driving, just not alot of flex before that would become an issue.

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have their shoes when you criticize them.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 pm 
mcwanek wrote:
I think the TJ/LJ-based Rubi's all had the single switch for f/r lockers... press once to lock the rear, again for f/r locked, or something like that. :?

they can be rewired to run on 2 seperate switches.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:55 pm 
Smokey rolls

the lockers only work uo to a certain speed wich isnt very fast but it is easy to wire around the safety to be locked for higher speeds when playin in the mud

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:37 pm 
Jeeper in IN

It has a blue switch and red one. i think there for lockers. I tryed to get into it today but the doors were locked. . . so i just checked it out looked at the engine with of course they power wash. Some questions. lol. There was no dis cap. that i saw. Is it a new style engine or i just didnot look right plac. And it had old man emu shocks. Does that mean i could have a small lift. Lick a puck or maybe 1inch sus lift. And i also thank the rear driver side axle bearing is bad. looked there is oil all over the inner dustcheild of the rotor. Now the price was a shocker to me but i blue booked it and it sayd retal is 20000. lot of people selling the same set up or better one with lift for 13000. But i just want a daily driver.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:15 am 
Tang Soo

in around 2000 the 4.0 when to a coil on plug distributor setup eliminating the distributor and single coil...no plug wires either, just wiring harness wires

mac 'look for pucks larger than spring isolators for possible lift' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:17 am 
Pap's mirror

ya gotta figure on the price to as its a rubi. new that thing was prob. 30+. are you wanting a rubi or just a jeep. buy the green jk sittin out behind the office. it was mine i just traded in. they gave me 13000 for it so they cant want to much more for it. a good detail job and 95% of the scratches will come out. nothing wrong with it, just wanted the blue that we got. it has the V6 so plenty of power and has 4:10's in the diff on it.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:37 am 
Particle Man

TJMAN225 wrote:
It has a blue switch and red one. i think there for lockers. I tryed to get into it today but the doors were locked. . . so i just checked it out looked at the engine with of course they power wash. Some questions. lol. There was no dis cap. that i saw. Is it a new style engine or i just didnot look right plac. And it had old man emu shocks. Does that mean i could have a small lift. Lick a puck or maybe 1inch sus lift. And i also thank the rear driver side axle bearing is bad. looked there is oil all over the inner dustcheild of the rotor. meow the price was a shocker to me but i blue booked it and it sayd retal is 20000. lot of people selling the same set up or better one with lift for 13000. But i just want a daily driver.

I was told one of the switches (the left one) was a bypass so the lockers could be engaged in 4H instead of just 4L and the other (the right one) was to disable to the dome light switch when the doors are off instead of having to pull a fuse.
I don't remember which color was which.

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have their shoes when you criticize them.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:58 pm 
Jeeper in IN

That explains the dis Thank you. And i am waning a unlimited. I got a tj 97 and i love it. But i go on road trips to new york oftin and my little 4 banger does not do well on the way home with all the wind. So i am like the unlimited cus of the power and cus it has a little more room. And crouse control i think. But everyone really think it is worth 18?? I found the same jeeps on craigs list for around 13000. With only 5000 more miles on them. I got to go talk to them see wha they are willing to do. Might just have to wait. :crybaby2:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 pm 
mister wiskers

Doin road trips, I think you would enjoy the extra wheel base. I really like those Jeeps.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:24 am 
n00b
n00b

I have an 05 Rubi Unlimited and I love it. You said that you go on road trips, well this is a great vehicle for that. I have been to Colorado and back twice and it was great. I even had my 10 yr old son in the back seat with plenty of room. You just can't beat the added 13 inches. You actually can put luggage and whatever else you want in the back. As far as trail capability, well I did everything out in Ouray CO that I could. The only pass that I did not traverse was Black Bear Pass and that is because it wasn't open when I was there. I had so much fun. I was all stock when I went, but next time I will have a lift and bigger tires. I am more than happy with my unlimited. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:27 am 
Jeeper in IN

TJMAN225 wrote:
It has a blue switch and red one. i think there for lockers. I tryed to get into it today but the doors were locked. . . so i just checked it out looked at the engine with of course they power wash. Some questions. lol. There was no dis cap. that i saw. Is it a new style engine or i just didnot look right plac. And it had old man emu shocks. Does that mean i could have a small lift. Lick a puck or maybe 1inch sus lift. And i also thank the rear driver side axle bearing is bad. looked there is oil all over the inner dustcheild of the rotor. meow the price was a shocker to me but i blue booked it and it sayd retal is 20000. lot of people selling the same set up or better one with lift for 13000. But i just want a daily driver.

i just have an 04 x tj i know the rubi's sit a little higher but not enough for 33's so you have atleast a 2" suspension lift and thats stuffing 3" would clear them just fine

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)