Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:05 pm 
Offline
Jeeper in IN

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm
Posts: 239
Got a 97 2.5 wrangler five speed. Oil pan is leaking bad. Wondering what all has to come out / off / apart to get it out and new one in. thanks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:32 pm 
Offline
Dirty tranny

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:03 am
Posts: 1829
Location: ft wayne, indiana
now i am certanly no ase mechanic but if greasy sphincter gasket is bad then all you need to do is drain greasy sphincter oil pull pan make sure to clean all old gasket and grime off pan and where it bolts back up to i have heard rubber is better then cork but i would ask other opinions i also belive if you use rubber then you dont need any gasket glue? like with cork not 100% sure on this but i think i am correct also you might as well replace oil filter while you r replacing oil

hopefully this is what you r talking about and this helps you if not be patient someone will reply to greasy sphincter ?

any ? you can call me again i'm no mechanic but i do these type of maintenence my self so if i can help
260-466-4695 (bill)

_________________
REMEMBER:
BE GOOD!
AND IF YOU CAN'T
BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:08 pm 
tellozzy wrote:
meow i am certanly no ase mechanic but if greasy sphincter gasket is bad then all you need to do is drain greasy sphincter oil pull pan make sure to clean all old gasket and grime off pan and where it bolts back up to i have heard rubber is better then cork but i would ask other opinions i also belive if you use rubber then you dont need any gasket glue? like with cork not 100% sure on this but i think i am correct also you might as well replace oil filter while you r replacing oil

hopefully this is what you r talking about and this helps you if not be patient someone will reply to greasy sphincter ?

any ? you can call me again i'm no mechanic but i do these type of maintenence my self so if i can help
260-466-4695 (bill)

Good job Ozzy! Exactly right! :2up: Just drain oil, drop pan, clean, fish new gasket into place, and replace pan. Be sure to do the old cris-cross bolt tightening pattern a little at a time, as to not bunch the gasket, causing an immediate leak. :crybaby2:


Top 
  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:19 pm 
Offline
Dirty tranny

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:03 am
Posts: 1829
Location: ft wayne, indiana
philbert001 wrote:
tellozzy wrote:
meow i am certanly no ase mechanic but if greasy sphincter gasket is bad then all you need to do is drain greasy sphincter oil pull pan make sure to clean all old gasket and grime off pan and where it bolts back up to i have heard rubber is better then cork but i would ask other opinions i also belive if you use rubber then you dont need any gasket glue? like with cork not 100% sure on this but i think i am correct also you might as well replace oil filter while you r replacing oil

hopefully this is what you r talking about and this helps you if not be patient someone will reply to greasy sphincter ?

any ? you can call me again i'm no mechanic but i do these type of maintenence my self so if i can help
260-466-4695 (bill)

Good job Ozzy! Exactly right! :2up: Just drain oil, drop pan, clean, fish new gasket into place, and replace pan. Be sure to do the old cris-cross bolt tightening pattern a little at a time, as to not bunch the gasket, causing an immediate leak. :crybaby2:




o yea forgot about cross tightening ty phil
what about the whole cork vs rubber and gaskent sealent? was that correct?

_________________
REMEMBER:
BE GOOD!
AND IF YOU CAN'T
BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:26 pm 
tellozzy wrote:
philbert001 wrote:
tellozzy wrote:
meow i am certanly no ase mechanic but if greasy sphincter gasket is bad then all you need to do is drain greasy sphincter oil pull pan make sure to clean all old gasket and grime off pan and where it bolts back up to i have heard rubber is better then cork but i would ask other opinions i also belive if you use rubber then you dont need any gasket glue? like with cork not 100% sure on this but i think i am correct also you might as well replace oil filter while you r replacing oil

hopefully this is what you r talking about and this helps you if not be patient someone will reply to greasy sphincter ?

any ? you can call me again i'm no mechanic but i do these type of maintenence my self so if i can help
260-466-4695 (bill)

Good job Ozzy! Exactly right! :2up: Just drain oil, drop pan, clean, fish new gasket into place, and replace pan. Be sure to do the old cris-cross bolt tightening pattern a little at a time, as to not bunch the gasket, causing an immediate leak. :crybaby2:




o yea forgot about cross tightening ty phil
what about the whole cork vs rubber and gaskent sealent? was that correct?

depends on the price. the rubber ones are nice and easy, but expensive. if you do the cork ones just right, you don't need to seal them, but they're hard to do just right.


Top 
  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:10 pm 
Offline
Jeeper in IN

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm
Posts: 239
ok. but does the trans have to come off thhe engine?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:30 pm 
Offline
Dirty tranny

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:03 am
Posts: 1829
Location: ft wayne, indiana
is there room to pull oil pan down? without taking it off
if ya want i can come take a look if ya want i am available about noonish tomorrow i have a couple job apps i need to put in in the early am call me if ya want number is down below :tu2:

_________________
REMEMBER:
BE GOOD!
AND IF YOU CAN'T
BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:40 am 
TJMAN225 wrote:
ok. but does the trans have to come off thhe engine?

No just jack up the Jeep and put jackstands under the frame to let the axle droop.(that'll give you more room to drop the oil pan.) The pan will come down with the engine/trans in place. Good luck, and have fun! If you need help, call OZZY, he's got a pretty good grasp on how to do this!


Top 
  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:34 pm 
Offline
spackled
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:24 pm
Posts: 1186
Depending on the mileage on your motor, you may want to do the rear main seal at the same time. It's just a little more work to get to it, but it's a 2 piece seal, so it can be replaced with out completely removing the crank. (and, more than likely, it's probably leaking)

_________________
Lo mi. 78 CJ5, no rust, Lots of dents. 96 XJ 2dr.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:49 pm 
Offline
Dirty tranny

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:03 am
Posts: 1829
Location: ft wayne, indiana
i m around give me holler if ya need help

_________________
REMEMBER:
BE GOOD!
AND IF YOU CAN'T
BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:53 pm 
Offline
Jeeper in IN

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm
Posts: 239
I am gonna tackle it another weekend. No money. And ya the rear main is bad.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:00 pm 
Offline
Dirty tranny

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:03 am
Posts: 1829
Location: ft wayne, indiana
TJMAN225 wrote:
I am gonna tackle it another weekend. No money. And ya the rear main is bad.



no problem give me a holler if ya want help just give me a day or 2 notice :tu2:

_________________
REMEMBER:
BE GOOD!
AND IF YOU CAN'T
BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron