Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:05 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Got a 97 2.5 wrangler five speed. Oil pan is leaking bad. Wondering what all has to come out / off / apart to get it out and new one in. thanks

Post subject: Re: oil pan seal replacement ????
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:32 pm 
Dirty tranny

now i am certanly no ase mechanic but if greasy sphincter gasket is bad then all you need to do is drain greasy sphincter oil pull pan make sure to clean all old gasket and grime off pan and where it bolts back up to i have heard rubber is better then cork but i would ask other opinions i also belive if you use rubber then you dont need any gasket glue? like with cork not 100% sure on this but i think i am correct also you might as well replace oil filter while you r replacing oil

hopefully this is what you r talking about and this helps you if not be patient someone will reply to greasy sphincter ?

any ? you can call me again i'm no mechanic but i do these type of maintenence my self so if i can help
260-466-4695 (bill)

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:08 pm 
tellozzy wrote:
meow i am certanly no ase mechanic but if greasy sphincter gasket is bad then all you need to do is drain greasy sphincter oil pull pan make sure to clean all old gasket and grime off pan and where it bolts back up to i have heard rubber is better then cork but i would ask other opinions i also belive if you use rubber then you dont need any gasket glue? like with cork not 100% sure on this but i think i am correct also you might as well replace oil filter while you r replacing oil

hopefully this is what you r talking about and this helps you if not be patient someone will reply to greasy sphincter ?

any ? you can call me again i'm no mechanic but i do these type of maintenence my self so if i can help
260-466-4695 (bill)

Good job Ozzy! Exactly right! :2up: Just drain oil, drop pan, clean, fish new gasket into place, and replace pan. Be sure to do the old cris-cross bolt tightening pattern a little at a time, as to not bunch the gasket, causing an immediate leak. :crybaby2:

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:19 pm 
Dirty tranny

philbert001 wrote:
tellozzy wrote:
meow i am certanly no ase mechanic but if greasy sphincter gasket is bad then all you need to do is drain greasy sphincter oil pull pan make sure to clean all old gasket and grime off pan and where it bolts back up to i have heard rubber is better then cork but i would ask other opinions i also belive if you use rubber then you dont need any gasket glue? like with cork not 100% sure on this but i think i am correct also you might as well replace oil filter while you r replacing oil

260-466-4695 (bill)

Good job Ozzy! Exactly right! :2up: Just drain oil, drop pan, clean, fish new gasket into place, and replace pan. Be sure to do the old cris-cross bolt tightening pattern a little at a time, as to not bunch the gasket, causing an immediate leak. :crybaby2:

o yea forgot about cross tightening ty phil
what about the whole cork vs rubber and gaskent sealent? was that correct?

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:26 pm 
tellozzy wrote:
philbert001 wrote:
tellozzy wrote:

260-466-4695 (bill)

o yea forgot about cross tightening ty phil
what about the whole cork vs rubber and gaskent sealent? was that correct?

depends on the price. the rubber ones are nice and easy, but expensive. if you do the cork ones just right, you don't need to seal them, but they're hard to do just right.

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:10 pm 
Jeeper in IN

ok. but does the trans have to come off thhe engine?

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:30 pm 
Dirty tranny

is there room to pull oil pan down? without taking it off
if ya want i can come take a look if ya want i am available about noonish tomorrow i have a couple job apps i need to put in in the early am call me if ya want number is down below :tu2:

GOD,

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:40 am 
TJMAN225 wrote:
ok. but does the trans have to come off thhe engine?

No just jack up the Jeep and put jackstands under the frame to let the axle droop.(that'll give you more room to drop the oil pan.) The pan will come down with the engine/trans in place. Good luck, and have fun! If you need help, call OZZY, he's got a pretty good grasp on how to do this!

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:34 pm 
spackled

Depending on the mileage on your motor, you may want to do the rear main seal at the same time. It's just a little more work to get to it, but it's a 2 piece seal, so it can be replaced with out completely removing the crank. (and, more than likely, it's probably leaking)

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:49 pm 
Dirty tranny

i m around give me holler if ya need help

GOD,

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:53 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I am gonna tackle it another weekend. No money. And ya the rear main is bad.

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:00 pm 
Dirty tranny

TJMAN225 wrote:
I am gonna tackle it another weekend. No money. And ya the rear main is bad.

no problem give me a holler if ya want help just give me a day or 2 notice :tu2:

GOD,

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)