Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Liberty Tech (Long wheelbase)

Post subject: Snorkel Questions
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:41 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I have heard that when you put on a snorkel you need to seal up the engine. I am assuming you need to put RTV around the spark plugs to make sure no water gets in? What all needs to be sealed? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Snorkel Questions
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:09 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Your airbox, your distributor cap, your plug wires (liberal amounts of dielectric grease), fix any worn electrical connections, fix vacuum leaks, etc.

If you want to go water fording, there is a LOT of stuff you need to do. If you just want to keep yourself protected from the "Ohhh crap. That hole was much deeper than I thought it was.", the above should get you started.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:12 pm 
Jeeper in IN

thanks alpine. I appreciate it

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:46 pm 
Mr. Google

Breather tubes for diffs and xfer case and tranny

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:10 pm 
Jeeper in IN

correct me if im wrong but i believe most have the breather tubes already and i know for sure that the axles already have breather tubes unless your talking about moving them up or putting them somewhere else

*OLD RED* 1990 xj*4.0*30x9.5x15*(sold)
*ZOMBIE HUNTER*1997 ZJ*5.2*24 lb injectors*msd ignition*taurus cooling fan upgrade*
*OLD WHITE*mud truck*1977*GMC stepside 1 ton*383 stroker*39.5x13.50x16 ss iroks*

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:12 pm 
Mr. Google

ya sorry.. they need to be longer. Most of the KJ people move them to the top of the firewall ( thats 6-10" longer than stock) ive heard of people with snorkels running them higher than that somehow.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:30 am 
Jeeper in IN

Not sure where the xj's or kj's are but the tj's stock location is right next to the top of the radiator I've never really looked to see where the rear comes out lol

*OLD RED* 1990 xj*4.0*30x9.5x15*(sold)
*ZOMBIE HUNTER*1997 ZJ*5.2*24 lb injectors*msd ignition*taurus cooling fan upgrade*
*OLD WHITE*mud truck*1977*GMC stepside 1 ton*383 stroker*39.5x13.50x16 ss iroks*

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:43 am 
Mr. Google

if it helps...
KJ:
front diff-> right around the battery tray ( actually was mounted under the battery tray)
Rear Diff-> attached along the tube for the gas tank, but much lower than youd want, many lenghthen it so it goes clear up to the fill hole.
Xfer and Tranny -> come up behind the engine on the oil check/trannycheck tube side of the engine but LOW almost near the bell housing.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:53 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

jeepINgeek wrote:
if it helps...
KJ:
front diff-> right around the battery tray ( actually was mounted under the battery tray)
Rear Diff-> attached along the tube for the gas tank, but much lower than youd want, many lenghthen it so it goes clear up to the fill hole.
Xfer and Tranny -> come up behind the engine on the oil check/trannycheck tube side of the engine but LOW almost near the bell housing.

He has an XJ.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:04 am 
Mr. Google

ya i know. but i cant imagine that the locations can be that dissimilar .. ive seen front diff breathers come out near the battery on my old chevy blazer...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:23 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Believe it or not snorkels (like the ARB) are more designed to allow your engine to pull in cleaner air, then they are to allow you to tread through deep water. They also can help with the occasional big splash.
If you plan on spending time in the water, you will want to go through and locate EVERY electrical connection on the vehicle apply large amounts of dielectric grease, before and AFTER every time you go out and go through deep water. Water can be past the dielectric, and it will cause all types of nasty electrical gremlins.
You'll also want to figure out a way to seal up your dip sticks. You don't want to get water in your engine or transmission. Water in the crankcase of your engine, even if you get it drained out imediately, will still cause premature failure of the main bearings.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Liberty Tech (Long wheelbase)