Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech

Post subject: weird noise then clicking
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:30 am 
Paul Bunyan

Last night when I stopped at my uncle's house, I parked on a somewhat steep incline (Automatic transmission) shifted into park (I don't think I pressed down on the brake because I was already at a stop) and turned off the truck. Normally when I turn off the diesel it shakes kind of violently-which happens in every other diesel I've been in, but this time there was a loud clunk.

When I tried to start it about 1/2 hr later, there was a really fast clicking noise. I turned the key 3 times-all three times it clicked. I opened the door and it started right up. I then drove it for ~10 min, turned it off and let it sit for ~3 1/2 hrs, then tried to start it again-and same thing happened...except i had the door open (don't know how the door had anything to do with it), closed the door, tried to do it again and in the midst of it clicking it turned over. I then turned the key again and it started right up.

I have corrosion around battery terminals, but my voltmeter's needle is right above 14 (8 is low, 18 is high, 14 is middles), and I've never had problems starting before anyhow. Also, my lights dim, then brighten while the truck is idling...my uncle said that wasn't normal-but i wonder if diesels are different.

Any suggestions, questions, or preferably answers.

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:23 am 
Thread Necromancer

The headlights dimming when you first start is just your grid heater cycling, no big deal on a cummins, they will do it everytime when you have a cold start at temps below 40-45 degrees. When you see the grids are cycling, be sure you leave your drive your truck/let it run for atleast 15 minutes until after the stop so that the alternator has time to recharge the battery, the grids pull ALOT of juice. Probably the clicking was because the grids pulled too much juice from the battery on your first drive, so your voltage was low and was clicking the start soleniod, but you luckily had enough juice for it to catch and start.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:04 am 
Paul Bunyan

kennedy wrote:
The headlights dimming when you first start is just your grid heater cycling, no big deal on a cummins, they will do it everytime when you have a cold start at temps below 40-45 degrees. When you see the grids are cycling, be sure you leave your drive your truck/let it run for atleast 15 minutes until after the stop so that the alternator has time to recharge the battery, the grids pull ALOT of juice. Probably the clicking was because the grids pulled too much juice from the battery on your first drive, so your voltage was low and was clicking the start soleniod, but you luckily had enough juice for it to catch and start.

thanks-and I went ahead and cleaned my battery terminals last night-wire brush, soak with coke, rinse with hot water, brush again, then reconnected. No clicking this morning. I'll find out if that was it tonight and the next couple of days when I start. and thanks for the grid heater info!

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:37 am 
Gump01 wrote:
kennedy wrote:

thanks-and I went ahead and cleaned my battery terminals last night-wire brush, soak with coke, rinse with hot water, brush again, then reconnected. No clicking this morning. I'll find out if that was it tonight and the next couple of days when I start. and thanks for the grid heater info!

coke?.?.?...as in, coke, the pop in a red can?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:46 am 
Paul Bunyan

kellyd469 wrote:
Gump01 wrote:
kennedy wrote:

yep - coco cola classic with santa claus on the front

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:54 am 
what it was before for all i care

Gump01 wrote:
kellyd469 wrote:
Gump01 wrote:
kennedy wrote:

yep - coco cola classic with santa claus on the front

yup does wonders to battery acid if you dont have battery terminal cleaner

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:18 am 
Paul Bunyan

chazinator wrote:

my cuz told me of a mixture of water and vinegar, but since i knew where the coke was, and coke is probably cheaper than vinegar-I figured I'd go with that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:15 pm 
Gump01 wrote:
chazinator wrote:

my cuz told me of a mixture of water and vinegar, but since i knew where the coke was, and coke is probably cheaper than vinegar-I figured I'd go with that.

actually viniger cost about $1 for half gallon or so and it will last forever! or wont go bad anyway.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:27 pm 
Paul Bunyan

kellyd469 wrote:
Gump01 wrote:
chazinator wrote:

actually viniger cost about $1 for half gallon or so and it will last forever! or wont go bad anyway.

hm... nice to know, but another thing with coke...if you don't use it all, you can drink the rest and quench your thirst :tu2:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:55 pm 
and the coke was probably closer than going into the house and ransacking your mom's kitchen looking for vineger....lol

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:23 pm 
Paul Bunyan

kellyd469 wrote:
and the coke was probably closer than going into the house and ransacking your mom's kitchen looking for vineger....lol

nope-i grabbed the coke out of the kitchen. We don't have any food or beverages in the out buildings.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech