Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech

Post subject: AMC / FORD / JEEP tapered axle
 Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 am 
Paul Bunyan

so I tried to remove my tapered axles from my 78 cj5 last night, and looking at my manual for my old '88 ford (that I sold before getting my dodge), the instructions look oddly familiar with what I might have to do with the jeep axle. Does anyone have experience pulling tapered axles out? What's the best way? I tried turning the drum inside out, and using that as a slide hammer-didn't work. Tried using a slide hammer (with the incorrect adapter I was given)-didn't work. Unbolted the backing plate-and the axle slid out-but since I need to replace the axle seals-that didn't help-unless the manual is correct-and I have to break the retainer ring around the bearing by first drilling a hole in it and snapping it with a chisel....

Anyone have any advise / experience?

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech