Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech

Post subject: exhaust manifold gasket
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:32 am 
web wheeling is off the hook!!!

well my chevy needs one, i am scared to tackle it myself. as i have never done it and heard horor stories all over the place. sooooooooo. if you have the tools/know how to do such a job let me know i am willing to do some bartering or try to come up with some cash. let me know.

1987 comanche 4bangin 4x4 (stock for now)
2007 powerwheels jeep unlimited

Post subject: Re: exhaust manifold gasket
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:35 pm 
Feeds people vomit

Bryan wrote:
well my chevy needs one, i am scared to tackle it myself. as i have never done it and heard horor stories all over the place. sooooooooo. if you have the tools/know how to do such a job let me know i am willing to do some bartering or try to come up with some cash. let me know.

I know it's a month late....but did you get your exhaust manifold gasket replaced? If you're talking about the "doughnut" gasket between the manifold and the pipe, that can be a terror, if you're talking about the gasket between engine block and manifold....it's easy breezy. And that's a more likley place (in my experience) for them to fail.

just un-bolt it all the way, your old gaskets will probably fall out, maybe a flat blade screw driver....(don't removed the manifold from the pipe, leave it all together, it'll move enough to get a new gasket in)

Then look at your gaskets, the front and rears should have open holes where you can insert your manifold bolts a couple turns, then slide the gasket down onto the bolts, between the manifold and engine block. The middle one then goes in with the other two bolts (usually)

Good luck if you ahven't already traded this truck, or gotten it fixed :-)

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post subject: Re: exhaust manifold gasket
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:19 pm 
Chuck wrote:
Bryan wrote:

I know it's a month late....but did you get your exhaust manifold gasket replaced? If you're talking about the "doughnut" gasket between the manifold and the pipe, that can be a terror, if you're talking about the gasket between engine block and manifold....it's easy breezy. And that's a more likley place (in my experience) for them to fail.

just un-bolt it all the way, your old gaskets will probably fall out, maybe a flat blade screw driver....(don't removed the manifold from the pipe, leave it all together, it'll move enough to get a new gasket in)

Then look at your gaskets, the front and rears should have open holes where you can insert your manifold bolts a couple turns, then slide the gasket down onto the bolts, between the manifold and engine block. The middle one then goes in with the other two bolts (usually)

Good luck if you ahven't already traded this truck, or gotten it fixed :-)

he no longer has internet at home, i know his truck is running but not sure if he took care of it or not :acclaim:

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech