Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:41 pm 
Offline
Male nurse in training
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:03 am
Posts: 1006624
Location: Fort wayne
Kinda a silly question but I've got Reverse cut gears in my front axle on the truck, does that make it high pinion then?

_________________
2016 JKU with some stuff


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:19 pm 
Offline
what it was before for all i care

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:35 pm
Posts: 2145
95YJMan wrote:
Kinda a silly question but I've got Reverse cut gears in my front axle on the truck, does that make it high pinion then?


yup... :tu2:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:59 pm 
Offline
trained to drive the choo choo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:21 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: In the laboratory
Does the pinion come out above the axle centerline? What axle?

_________________
Brawndo! It's got electrolytes!


My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:48 pm 
Offline
Male nurse in training
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:03 am
Posts: 1006624
Location: Fort wayne
Its a Ford 8.8 front, and yes I'm sure, I have researched and ford put an 8.8 in the front of 04 to 08 F150's. The diff cover is even the same as an 8.8 you would find in an explorer/ ranger what have you

_________________
2016 JKU with some stuff


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:59 pm 
Offline
Likes dudes pitching tents
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:54 pm
Posts: 3015172
Location: Sky's Divide
What's the width on that?

_________________
"I saw his body and it was smelling real bad and I'm searching for some applesauce and I see him and I'm like, dang," -- Tyrezz Sawyer

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:13 pm 
Offline
Baby puncher
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:26 pm
Posts: 3510
Location: LEO
it's IFS yo.

_________________
03 WJ, IRO 4" Critical Path Long Arm, 265/75/16 KM2's, IceLand OffRoad high clearance winch bumper w/xrc8 winch.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:29 am 
Offline
trained to drive the choo choo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:21 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: In the laboratory
95YJMan wrote:
Its a Ford 8.8 front, and yes I'm sure, I have researched and ford put an 8.8 in the front of 04 to 08 F150's. The diff cover is even the same as an 8.8 you would find in an explorer/ ranger what have you

then you know more about it than I do. The only hp front I know of that Ford used was the d44 in Broncos and the d60 is trucks.

_________________
Brawndo! It's got electrolytes!


My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:04 am 
Offline
Tang Soo
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:34 am
Posts: 2727
Location: NE Indiana
Scout-Matt wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
Its a Ford 8.8 front, and yes I'm sure, I have researched and ford put an 8.8 in the front of 04 to 08 F150's. The diff cover is even the same as an 8.8 you would find in an explorer/ ranger what have you

then you know more about it than I do. The only hp front I know of that Ford used was the d44 in Broncos and the d60 is trucks.


i think that the old ttb setup may have been reverse cut...but i'm not sure...

mac 'my super 60 is reverse cut' gyvr

_________________
NAXJA president
NAXJA Midwest Chapter president
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:56 pm 
Offline
trained to drive the choo choo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:21 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: In the laboratory
macgyvr wrote:
Scout-Matt wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
Its a Ford 8.8 front, and yes I'm sure, I have researched and ford put an 8.8 in the front of 04 to 08 F150's. The diff cover is even the same as an 8.8 you would find in an explorer/ ranger what have you

then you know more about it than I do. The only hp front I know of that Ford used was the d44 in Broncos and the d60 is trucks.


i think that the old ttb setup may have been reverse cut...but i'm not sure...

mac 'my super 60 is reverse cut' gyvr

Whats in your super 60?

_________________
Brawndo! It's got electrolytes!


My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:25 am 
Offline
Tang Soo
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:34 am
Posts: 2727
Location: NE Indiana
Scout-Matt wrote:
macgyvr wrote:
Scout-Matt wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
Its a Ford 8.8 front, and yes I'm sure, I have researched and ford put an 8.8 in the front of 04 to 08 F150's. The diff cover is even the same as an 8.8 you would find in an explorer/ ranger what have you

then you know more about it than I do. The only hp front I know of that Ford used was the d44 in Broncos and the d60 is trucks.


i think that the old ttb setup may have been reverse cut...but i'm not sure...

mac 'my super 60 is reverse cut' gyvr

Whats in your super 60?


you mean gears? or what?

its got 4.88 gears...

mac 'built to pull your house down' gyvr

_________________
NAXJA president
NAXJA Midwest Chapter president
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:18 am 
Offline
trained to drive the choo choo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:21 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: In the laboratory
You called it a super 60, I was wondering if you had fancy shafts, lockers, knuckles, stuff like that.

_________________
Brawndo! It's got electrolytes!


My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:53 pm 
Offline
Tang Soo
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:34 am
Posts: 2727
Location: NE Indiana
Scout-Matt wrote:
You called it a super 60, I was wondering if you had fancy shafts, lockers, knuckles, stuff like that.


Dana Super 60
Dana Super 60 from a 2008 Ford F-450

The Dana Super 60 is an upgraded version of the Dana 60 front axle.

Differences in the Dana Super 60 versus the regular Dana 60:

* Larger and thicker diameter steel tubes (3.75 inches diameter and 1/2 in thick)

* Larger ring and pinion which increase the contact area and overall strength.

* Larger Universal Joints which increase strength and steering angle.

* Super 60s use 1550 Universal Joints.

* Net formed spider gears for increased strength.

* All made with 35 Spline axle shafts.

mac 'from Wikipedia' gyvr

_________________
NAXJA president
NAXJA Midwest Chapter president
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:37 pm 
Offline
Jeeper in IN

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:17 pm
Posts: 34
Im kinda new to all the axle BS but you can have reverse cut in high or low pinion diffs. All reverse cut means is that instead driving the ring gear on the convex side, its driven on the concave side. Driving on the concave side is supposed to be quiter and stronger.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:23 pm 
Offline
Giggling Little Schoolgirl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:29 pm
Posts: 2471
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
you can only have reverse cut gears in an high pinion axle... low pinion would have standard cut.

_________________
just another TJ on 35's...
full custom "Get Bent Kustoms" roll cage
very slow 1 ton project in the works...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:29 am 
Offline
Jeeper in IN

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:17 pm
Posts: 34
And thats why retards like me need to do more research before I open my mouth. Your right, standard cut is low and reverse is high.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reverse cut gears
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 pm 
Offline
Likes dudes pitching tents
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:54 pm
Posts: 3015172
Location: Sky's Divide
umbrobryan wrote:
And thats why retards like me need to do more research before I open my mouth. Your right, standard cut is low and reverse is high.


Relax.. you won't learn anything unless you ask questions. The people on here are really good at helping people out w/o crucifying them. :) Ask away!

_________________
"I saw his body and it was smelling real bad and I'm searching for some applesauce and I see him and I'm like, dang," -- Tyrezz Sawyer

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron