Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech

Post subject: My sterling 10.5's diff cover
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 am 
Male nurse in training

I think leaks and the thing takes the expensive 19 dollar gear oil. (price you pay for having a 1 ton) Anyway I've been doing some reading about option's for upgrading and while I'm not looking at a heavy duty diff cover like you would put on a rig that was playing in the rocks, I'm looking at this:

http://www.dieselmanor.com/motorcraft/FD-3Z4033A.asp

One of things I read was that trucks that drive on salty winter roads up north tend to have their diff covers kinda rust out on the 10.5's. Now my truck has pretty much spent its life up near the kendaville area and I'm sure the under body wasn't sprayed off much and oddly enough I don't think its leaking where the diff cover mates to the housing I think its got a slow leak from the middle part of the cover itself. The cover itself is slightly rusty but not bad. My last thing is would a stock aluminum cover like the ones that come on 08 and newer super duty's do my F350 some good in the not leaking, towing/hauling, and keeping it cool departments? Worth the money?

Post subject: Re: My sterling 10.5's diff cover
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:59 am 
Tang Soo

If you can find a 10.5 aluminum cover, maybe junk yard, or dirty dan, that would be a good upgrade I would think.

mac 'wouldn't rust' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:13 am 
Male nurse in training

Well I mean it sounds stupid but it looks ilke its slowly weeping from the middle half of the cover. I'm gonna look at it tomorrow morning before I leave for work to see how much it has lost..

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:21 am 
Tang Soo

just replace the cover then. i know ford diff covers like to rust.

you can lose a lot of diff fluid before you're really in trouble...there's a lot in there...

mac 'stays sticky for a while' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech