Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase) » YJ Tech

Post subject: running without skid plate
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:17 pm 
got a barn boner

to anyone that may know my yj tranny needs rebuilt, but my question is not about the tranny but the skid plate. it is currently the oem skid plate and is badly rusted out, should i just have it the skid plate removed and just street drive the jeep until i get a new skid plate? will not having a skid plate on the jeep f up anything else if i just street drive the jeep??? thanks in advance.

"If it’s more than two shakes you are playing with yourself"

I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun! - Homer Simpson

Square Head Lights Let The World Know You Are Cool.

"Just knowing me gets you 50 cool points" So Sayeth the wodog

95 yj rio, 2" body lift, 15 to 20 gal. gas tank conversion, Hella hb2 head lights. More on the way, Dear Dad send $$$...

Post subject: Re: running without skid plate
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:17 am 
Oldman Oprah

If it is like the TJ one, it is required and supports the tranny/tcase assembly.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:35 am 
got a barn boner

Jeeper4Life wrote:
If it is like the TJ one, it is required and supports the tranny/tcase assembly.

i better confirm with the transmission guys next week, thanks for the info.

95 yj rio, 2" body lift, 15 to 20 gal. gas tank conversion, Hella hb2 head lights. More on the way, Dear Dad send $$$...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:09 pm 
Male nurse in training

Yeah you need the skid in order to support the trans and t-case. If you took it off you then need something to support those. Which I'm guessing something would have to be made.

If you can find another skid, that would be your best bet. However if things are really rusty, I would be worried about the bolts coming out of the frame too. There are pretty much nuts welded into the frame that the bolts thread into, they are either gonna break the bolts off or the welds in the frame will break on nuts causing the bolts to sit there and spin. With all that said though you might luck out and things come off really easy.

We have two Jeep junkyards that are a few hours away that you could find a YJ skid. Davey's in Ohio, and Midwest jeeps down southern Indiana. Make sure you either reuse yours trans mount or get a new one. The AX-5 and AX-15 ones are I believe different.

http://www.daveysjeeps.com/index.html

http://midwestjeeps.com/about-us/

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:45 pm 
got a barn boner

95YJMan wrote:
Yeah you need the skid in order to support the trans and t-case. If you took it off you then need something to support those. Which I'm guessing something would have to be made.

If you can find another skid, that would be your best bet. However if things are really rusty, I would be worried about the bolts coming out of the frame too. There are pretty much nuts welded into the frame that the bolts thread into, they are either gonna break the bolts off or the welds in the frame will break on nuts causing the bolts to sit there and spin. With all that said though you might luck out and things come off really easy.

We have two Jeep junkyards that are a few hours away that you could find a YJ skid. Davey's in Ohio, and Midwest jeeps down southern Indiana. Make sure you either reuse yours trans mount or get a new one. The AX-5 and AX-15 ones are I believe different.

thanks for the info they have gave me a heads up on the fact it may cost more, for the repair because of the skid plate. i will find out the real damage next week, the soonest they could take it in...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 pm 
Male nurse in training

wodog wrote:
95YJMan wrote:

thanks for the info they have gave me a heads up on the fact it may cost more, for the repair because of the skid plate. i will find out the real damage next week, the soonest they could take it in...

Is the frame on the YJ pretty bad?

This is why I hate living in Indiana, the winters just destroy stuff.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:23 pm 
got a barn boner

95YJMan wrote:
wodog wrote:
95YJMan wrote:

over all the frame looks ok, but i have not gotten under her to check her out for a long time. the jeep is just my car right now, and i need her to get me around.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:23 pm 
Male nurse in training

wodog wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
wodog wrote:
95YJMan wrote:

over all the frame looks ok, but i have not gotten under her to check her out for a long time. the jeep is just my car right now, and i need her to get me around.

Cool, cool, hopefully it will be ok then and won't give them to much trouble. The AX-5 should be a fairly easy trans to rebuild.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:38 pm 
got a barn boner

95YJMan wrote:
wodog wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
wodog wrote:
95YJMan wrote:

Cool, cool, hopefully it will be ok then and won't give them to much trouble. The AX-5 should be a fairly easy trans to rebuild.

i hope so too, i'll let you guys know what happens...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:58 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Hmm... hit the junk yard? If I recall, mine wasn't rusted as much as it was completely dented to shit. There may be one around that you can get your hands on for cheap.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:02 pm 
Tang Soo

Who is doing the tranny rebuild? Just curious more than anything.

I've found very little in location junk yards for anything wrangler. Once they get one in, it's usually stripped faster than a stolen car in Detroit.

mac 'checking out Alan's links for other things I need' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:23 pm 
got a barn boner

macgyvr wrote:
Who is doing the tranny rebuild? Just curious more than anything.

I've found very little in location junk yards for anything wrangler. Once they get one in, it's usually stripped faster than a stolen car in Detroit.

mac 'checking out Alan's links for other things I need' gyvr

sending it to russ more transmission, i think it is just the clutch but it may need a new tranny. no one seems to do rebuilding, most just replace with a pre-rebuilt tranny. still looks like it is going to be pricey, but i have to have a daily driver up and running ASAP.

if i need to sell it down the road , the first thing i am going to look into is a bidding war between the local junk yards since i know a lot of parts on it now are under 5 yrs and are hard to find. ie gas tank, tranny, tires, etc.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:49 pm 
Male nurse in training

Alpine wrote:
Hmm... hit the junk yard? If I recall, mine wasn't rusted as much as it was completely dented to shit. There may be one around that you can get your hands on for cheap.

Yeah local Junkyards don't have a lot of Wrangler stuff, mostly XJ and ZJ stuff, with a mix of WJ and a burn't out KJ.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:59 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

95YJMan wrote:
Alpine wrote:

Yeah local Junkyards don't have a lot of Wrangler stuff, mostly XJ and ZJ stuff, with a mix of WJ and a burn't out KJ.

Is that burned out KJ STILL out there? That was sitting there when I still lived up there.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:49 pm 
Male nurse in training

Alpine wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
Alpine wrote:

Is that burned out KJ STILL out there? That was sitting there when I still lived up there.

Dude, any KJ they get out there is burned out haha

Kinda makes think, should I still be driving mine? :lol:

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase) » YJ Tech