Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Liberty Tech (Long wheelbase) » XJ Tech

Post subject: Identifing Gears...help
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:48 pm 
Damn Websense...

How in the hell do I know what gear ratio I have. There is suppose to be a plate on the outside of the axle that has it on it...which is gone....its suppose to be stamped on the ring gear...well I took the dif cover off and spun it around and looked at the damn thing and didn't see shit...so I have no idea what gears I have. Can anyone tell me wear to look specifically or another way to figure it out. I've never had to piss with gearing before and don't know shit about it...I'll figure it out. But I'd like to know what I have.

TIA

"The two best things in life are canned beer and pussy."
"...and they're both better if you drink the canned beer first."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:51 pm 
a naked man tit in a highschool locker room

jack up the rearend of the truck. Put the tranny in neutral. mark a starting point on the tire and on the driveshaft. Turn the tire one complete revolution and count the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes. This number will give you a really good idea of your gear ration. If the drive shaft turns four and one quarter turns then you have 4.25:1 gears. But since I have never heard of such an animal I would say that would probably be more like 4.11's or something. Got it? good now go do it. :flipoff2:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:54 pm 
Damn Websense...

Dave wrote:
jack up the rearend of the truck. Put the tranny in neutral. mark a starting point on the tire and on the driveshaft. Turn the tire one complete revolution and count the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes. This number will give you a really good idea of your gear ration. If the drive shaft turns four and one quarter turns then you have 4.25:1 gears. But since I have never heard of such an animal I would say that would probably be more like 4.11's or something. Got it? good meow go do it. :flipoff2:

hrmm...that would get me close...I'll do it tomorrow if someone doesn't tell me exactly where to look to know or counting or something

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:36 pm 
a naked man tit in a highschool locker room

might look on the wiki and see what you can find too. :tu2:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:39 pm 
trained to drive the choo choo

Dana usually stamps the tooth count like 43-14, which is 3.07.

My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:39 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Try this === http://www.accuautoparts.com/axleinfo.jsp

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:39 pm 

Dave wrote:
jack up the rearend of the truck. Put the tranny in neutral. mark a starting point on the tire and on the driveshaft. Turn the tire one complete revolution and count the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes. This number will give you a really good idea of your gear ration. If the drive shaft turns four and one quarter turns then you have 4.25:1 gears. But since I have never heard of such an animal I would say that would probably be more like 4.11's or something. Got it? good meow go do it. :flipoff2:

You have to have both tires off the ground and turning at the same time for this to work.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:41 pm 
BuggyMan

The ring gear will have the number of teeth stamped into the edge of it. Like stated above it will be stamped like this 41-10. 41 ring gear teeth and 10 pinion gear teeth. The math is simple 41 divided by 10 is 4.10

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:30 am 
Feeds people vomit

Scout-Matt wrote:
Dave wrote:

You have to have both tires off the ground and turning at the same time for this to work.

not true....

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:53 am 
greasy gizzard-juice

Mark a tooth and start counting from there. Count the number of teeth on the ring gear and then the pinion gear. Divide em and you've got you're ratio.

Hell who knows what I'm gonna have from one day to the next so why bother trying to list em.

[/img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/crazy_cooter56/jeeps2.jpg[/img]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:54 am 
greasy gizzard-juice

Divide the # of teeth on the ring gear by the # of teeth on the pinion. You might have to count em by marking the tooth you start on then spinning it in the carrier.

Hell who knows what I'm gonna have from one day to the next so why bother trying to list em.

[/img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/crazy_cooter56/jeeps2.jpg[/img]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:56 am 
Damn Websense...

I figured it out last night....I found the stamping that was on the ring gear...it was 39 11...which means I have 3.55's in the axle...not ideal...but it will be fine for the time being....to thing is that the axle I pulled out of the XJ to use on there for the front is the same as whats already in the MJ...so I don't have to swap gears in the rear axle! WOOHOO!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:24 am 

Chuck wrote:
Scout-Matt wrote:
Dave wrote:

not true....
If the side gears and the spider gear had the same number of teeth it would work.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:30 pm 
Feeds people vomit

Scout-Matt wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Scout-Matt wrote:
Dave wrote:

not true....
If the side gears and the spider gear had the same number of teeth it would work.

I didn't know any of the four spider gears had a different tooth count

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Liberty Tech (Long wheelbase) » XJ Tech