Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: NP231 with SYE vs NP241 (Rubicon)
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:22 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Ok, I may have a line on an NP241 transfer case out of a Rubicon. I'm trying to decide to make an offer on that, or just get a new input gear for my NP231.

My NP231 has an AA SYE already installed w/ CV driveshaft. If I get the NP241, I won't need to swap out the input gear, as it already has the correct spline count. However, I'll have to re-think the CV-end of my driveshaft. It also has the 4:1 ratio - which is both good and bad depending on who you ask. I have 4.88 gears, and rock crawling isn't something that I normally do when wheeling. I usually just hit hills, trails, and large pits of mud.

Thoughts? Opinions?

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post subject: Re: NP231 with SYE vs NP241 (Rubicon)
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:51 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Is one rated to hold anymore horse power than the other, since it'll be behind a small block?
What is the NP231 worth, the cost would be even (sell the NP231, buy the NP241, or buy the needed parts to convert the NP231 input...)

I think the real thing to ask yourself, is if you'll really need a 4:1 low... like you said, advantages and disadvantages...

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works.
'08 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins, 4x4
'78 GMC 4x4 short bed
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:29 pm 
Tang Soo

I think in your mind you have already decided and you are looking for us to help persuade you...

mac 'if you're not hardcore rock crawling, 4:1 is alot' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 am 

macgyvr wrote:
I think in your mind you have already decided and you are looking for us to help persuade you...

Most of the time this is true.. but I am truly on the fence here.

macgyvr wrote:
mac 'if you're not hardcore rock crawling, 4:1 is alot' gyvr

And yeah, I was thinking that with the 4:1 thing. I have a feeling that I would rarely see 1st gear off-road if I had this thing. As far as strength goes, I've heard really good things about them (comparable to the NP231). I guess what it will boil down to is what kind of a deal it'll be. I don't know how much he will want for it yet. I'll know more on Wednesday.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:35 pm 
spackled

The 241 can handle a little more horse power than the 231. I think the case and some of the bearings/gears were upgraded from the 231. As far as the 4:1 ratio, I think it really is a plus, wether you crawl or trail ride. If 4:1 in 1st gear is too low, you can always use 2nd or 3rd with 4 lo on the trail.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np241or.htm

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:42 pm 
Male nurse in training

Do it Tom Boogers and shit!!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 pm 

Well, the decision was made for me. He only wants to sell the transmission & wants to keep the transfer case. It's just as well I think. NP231s grow on trees. The Ruby NP241 does not.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:05 pm 
Baby puncher

If you're worried about strength find a 231 out of a 1500 ram or dakota v8, they have a 231 but it has the wider chain set. Same thing as getting the wide chain kit for the jeep 231 but a lot cheaper

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:47 pm 
Male nurse in training

Thats what I told him Boogers and shit!!

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)