Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: Project "no payment"
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:47 am 
Tang Soo

In an effort to reduce some bills and obtain someday that total debt free status I sold the wife's car last week (had a payment). I sold it in four days actually. Not expecting that I ended up looking for a vehicle for her with a bit more intensity than I had originally planned...since the only other dd in the fleet that she could drive is my truck and that would get expensive fast.

I picked this baby up on Saturday.

1998 5.9 Limited ZJ with 231k miles. I basically got it for scrap price. It runs, it drives and 95% of the bells and whistles work. The interior is unbelievable clean. Its got a few issues as would be expected for the miles and what I paid for it.

Priorities are getting some transmission issues figured out. Its throwing checking engine lights for tc solenoids and another for line pressure. I plan to take it to russ moore this week for an estimate. It also needs a coolant flush. Besides that it needs about every fluid changed. The a/c just needs charged. It needs tires (235/70/16 if anyone has four with good tread laying around) The body is solid. The hood has some odd paint issues going on and the only rust is on the rear hatch at the bottom. Plan is to get it solid for the wife to use for work and errands. Once some bills are caught up there is the possibility I might use it for some mild wheelin, but that is a ways down the road.

mac 'it hauls the mail' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post subject: Re: Project "no payment"
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:53 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Looks clean

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:08 pm 
Tang Soo

Looking at the interior alone you would never know it had 231k miles on it.

It does need a window regulator on the drivers rear, otherwise the pass seat heater doesn't work and that's about it.

The sunroof works...that alone amazed me.

mac 'go fast in style' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:14 pm 
Thread Necromancer

probably a lot of highway miles than, buy a single person, and they didn't have to get in and out a lot, causing wear to the side of the drivers seat.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:38 pm 
Male nurse in training

Does the wife like it? Sounds like you got a smoking deal on it!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:50 am 
Tang Soo

95YJMan wrote:
Does the wife like it? Sounds like you got a smoking deal on it!

she does like it...and all the buttons...

mac 'the gas pedal will get her in trouble' gyvr

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 am 
Particle Man

I really like the "No Payment" part of the project. :tu2:

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have their shoes when you criticize them.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:54 am 
Furry Fetish

Why is there not more pics?

Momma didn't raise no fool.

Post subject: Re: Project "nay payment"
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:41 pm 
Tang Soo

I'll take some more, right I'm trying to get some maintenance done.

Go coolant almost flushed, got oil changed.

Got quotes on a rebuilt transmission.

mac 'more to come' gyvr

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:28 am 
Tang Soo

$1270 later we have a rebuilt transmission.

Got it back on Friday, Grace drove it around a bit Friday and Saturday. She said it shifts fine. I have yet to drive it with the new transmission.

Start the laundry list of things that need done to it maintenance wise and inspected all things mechanical.

Changed the broken o2 sensor...there were no wires in it, found the pig tail.

Serviced both diffs. Found a piece of something in the rear diff. I think its either part of the limited slip or part of what holds the limited slip in. Going to have my gear buddy come over and rebuild the rear diff sometime soon. Hopefully the week after the baby is born when I'll be off work.

Found this when inspecting the rear brakes.

The drivers side is a stock shaft.
Replaced the rear brakes.

Decided to pull the front end a part and grease it all up so it would be easy later and I wanted to inspect the c/v shafts. The boots looked newer, but it was apparently deceiving on how easy it would come apart. I got the passengers side a part pretty easily. The shaft is ok, but has a bit of play. Lubed it all up with antislease and put it back together. The brakes looked newer and in good shape. Got to the drivers side and found it wasn't going to be as easy. First thing I did was break two of the hub bolts...the hub is still seized in the knuckle. I finally gave up and started drinking. I will get a new hub today, I have other hub bolts but got rid of all my spare hubs with the baby jeep (kicking myself for this).

At the same time I was working on the front end, chuck was working on this.

Unfortunately the cheap Chinese lenses that bought, and the dorky way they install, had an issue and the passengers side headlight is now broke. Not sure what I'm going to do just yet.

I still need to get a belt and tune up items for it and tires, along with a few other minor things to address that are more annoying than anything. Oh, need to find a hatch someday too.

I also have an odd starting issue with it. When cold, it will not start on the first try, just turns over. But on the second try it always starts...no clue. Hoping with the o2 not having been hooked up at all that it might be related, but feel like that's unlikely.

I'll have about $2500 in it when I get it good and driveable. Even with the miles kbb suggests private party of $4000.

Still want to hunt down a 242 for it.

Still very happy with the purchase.

mac 'and no payment' gyvr

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 pm 
spackled

macgyvr wrote:
I also have an odd starting issue with it. When cold, it will not start on the first try, just turns over. But on the second try it always starts...no clue. Hoping with the o2 not having been hooked up at all that it might be related, but feel like that's unlikely.

Just a thought on the "1st try-no start". Turn the key to "run" for a few seconds before you crank it over, (let the fuel pump build up pressure in the system). Sometimes, with age, the system will loose pressure after it sets a few. Not terrible, just annoying.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:58 pm 
Tang Soo

AMXtogo wrote:
macgyvr wrote:

Just a thought on the "1st try-no start". Turn the key to "run" for a few seconds before you crank it over, (let the fuel pump build up pressure in the system). Sometimes, with age, the system will loose pressure after it sets a few. Not terrible, just annoying.

Yeah on another forum someone said that the check ball goes bad in these causing it to not get fuel right away...

thanks for the idea, i'll try it.

mac 'bad balls' gyvr

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 pm 
Thread Necromancer

macgyvr wrote:
mac 'bad balls' gyvr

:doh:

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:14 am 
Tang Soo

That was the hub mess. Had to drill those bolts out. Never seen one seized in a knuckle.

Then did some cleaning and test fitting...shit got real.

Got the headlights in and installed. What a pita...stupid Chinese knock offs...

Took it for a couple errands. Noticed smoke coming off the rear drivers brake caliper. Got it home, found the caliper was seized. Three parts stores later I had one. Installed, bled brakes, she drove it to her sisters house without incident and I slept before work.

Going to try to do a tune up this weekend.

I did drive it today...trans is nice.

mac '93 is still cheaper than diesel' gyvr

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 am 
Tang Soo

Got some parts today at the pick and pull.

Swapped the np249 for a np242. Pulled the 242 out of a 99 XJ. It was a direct swap into the 5.9. Taking two out and putting one back in wore me out.

I had a 242 tcase bezel from a ZJ that I had bought off ebay a couple weeks ago. Looks factory. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the computer thing in the dash and swap a couple wires and it too will be caught up with the swap making it look all factory...they way they should've come from the factory.

Got a couple other things that I'll update hopefully tomorrow.

Drank too much to take it for a spin tonight.

mac '2wd' gyvr

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:12 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Are you keeping the factory linkage?

**SOLD** 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4x4. 251k, unknown miles on '96 4.0 ZJ motor. Black Steel 15x10 Rims with 32x11.50x15 Firestone Firehawk RMT tires. Skyjacker 3" lift coil springs up front and Chevy K1500 add-a-leaf bastard pack in the rear. 2007 JK shocks all around. It's still a work in progress **SOLD**

1999 Chevy Silverado Z71. 5.3L. Magnaflow Cats, Cat-back dual exhaust, el conquistador Super Duty snowplow

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4 Dr., 3.5L, bone stock

2006 Honda TRX450ER quad, bone stock

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:42 pm 
Tang Soo

yes it was like a factory install

mac 'like butter' gyvr

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:28 pm 
Tang Soo

Mostly city driving and 70% with the full time case got 13mpg out of the 5.9, hand figured...oh and me driving it like its stolen a few times along with some burnouts since the 242 swap probably doesn't help.

Hoping to get 14 to 15 once Grace starts driving it all the time.

Tire fund has $250 in it.

mac 'burnouts til there are cords showing once tires are purchased' gyvr

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:29 am 
Tang Soo

Man, over a year with this 5.9, times flies.

Its proved to a very reliable dd for my wife. We are pushing 240k on it. Still chasing a couple of little issues with it, but we've driven it to Indy and a few other places up to 100+ miles away. It leaks a little antifreeze and a little oil, but nothing that's not caught up at 3k oil changes.

Averaging 13 to 15 mpg in the city and 18 on the hwy. It will still squeal the tires with all those miles and has lots of power. The 242 conversion is awesome!

Put a set of tires on it just before the snow last winter. Got it aligned somewhere along the way.

I bought a hatch for it at the pick and pull, but haven't had a moment to get it painted, so it sits in my shed.

Here it is with my current fleet of Jeeps.

mac 'the white one is a 98 too..just a 4.0' gyvr

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos