Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Crate engine recommendations for Liberty?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:44 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

I'm in the process of dealing with a bad motor in our 2002 Liberty. The total parts-only cost of this rebuild will be over $2,500. Since I've never really done one of these solo, I can't be sure that I won't mess something up and blow my engine within a couple thousand miles. With that kind of money, I would rather not take the chance.

Junkyard motors for this year are nearly impossible to find. The ones you can find have a bazillion miles on them, and they want around $2000 - for a JUNKYARD motor. I'm looking into maybe getting a 2006 motor for this from a junkyard, but it would require some adaptations, and still run me around $1200 + odds and ends.

I'm weighing the option of getting a new (crate) motor. Everybody seems to have bad things to say about every single crate engine maker around, so I'm looking for somebody who has GOOD things to possibly say about one. Thus far, here is what I have:
* Jasper (been told by many that they are junk)
* Blueprint (same)
* Gearhead (front-end vendor for ATK - lots of bad things people say) - formerly RECON, which apparently was used by a number of Chrysler dealerships in the southwest
* Unknown from autopartsfair.com (7 year, 70,000 mile warranty)

Ideas? Recommendations?

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post subject: Re: Crate engine recommendations for Liberty?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:57 am 
Male nurse in training

What all would you have to do to fit an 06 in? Why won't an 03 to 04 motor work. 05 is I believe when they changed a bunch of stuff. My 04 still has a cable run to the throttle body, 05 is when they changed that over to electric, you know stuff like that is what I'm saying. 02 to 04 motors I would think are pretty similar. As with the 06 your gonna have to do like you said a lot of adaptations... like the electric throttle body..and other small things..

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:13 am 
Jeeper in IN

Check out powertrain products. I have heard good things. They also offer a lot of warranty options plus don't void warranty if you want to install it yourself.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 am 

95YJMan wrote:
What all would you have to do to fit an 06 in? Why won't an 03 to 04 motor work. 05 is I believe when they changed a bunch of stuff. My 04 still has a cable run to the throttle body, 05 is when they changed that over to electric, you know stuff like that is what I'm saying. 02 to 04 motors I would think are pretty similar. As with the 06 your gonna have to do like you said a lot of adaptations... like the electric throttle body..and other small things..

I would reuse my old intake, exhaust manifolds, and likely my sensors. This would take care of what you've mentioned. 2002 is a unique year. They changed the cam gear (just the piece the sensor reads), the reluctor gear on the crankshaft (the piece that the crank sensor reads), as well as included a removeable piece on the back of the crankshaft for the different torque convertors.

I'm strongly leaning towards this way actually. The crappy things I keep reading about every single crate motor supplier are quickly steering me away from buying ANY crate motors. It seems the most cost-effective. If I pinch my pennies, I may be able to get a 2006 motor (after all of the odds and ends) in there for around $1,500.

I am still weighing my options. :?

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 am 

SUBARU? wrote:
Check out powertrain products. I have heard good things. They also offer a lot of warranty options plus don't void warranty if you want to install it yourself.

THAT is something I never thought of - voiding my warranty on a DIY. I'll look into them. Thank you!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:21 am 

SUBARU? wrote:

They really seem to know these engines:

powertrainproducts.net wrote:

Superior to all rebuilt Dodge 3.7 engines because:
•We install 100% new pressed in & pinned valve seats to stop seats from dropping and damaging engines.

•We have eliminated the oil sludge issue by utilizing a newly engineered piston which brings the combustion chamber temperature back under control. We have also drilled out drain back holes in the head and block to promote proper oiling.

•We have corrected timing chain guide and tensioner failure with new design parts.

•We install a M.L.S. (multi layer steel) head gasket which stops premature head gasket failure from the high heat conditions this engine endures.

Nobody else I've seen seems to specifically call this kind of stuff out. The price is in line with everything else (crate-wise) also. Their warranty is 4 years / 1,000,000 miles.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:24 am 
Particle Man

We replaced our 4.6L in the F150 with a Jasper and didn't have a problem with the engine. The rest of the truck got totalled, but that wasn't the engine's fault.

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have their shoes when you criticize them.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 am 
Jeeper in IN

Alpine wrote:
SUBARU? wrote:

•We install 100% new pressed in & pinned valve seats to stop seats from dropping and damaging engines.

•We have eliminated the oil sludge issue by utilizing a newly engineered piston which brings the combustion chamber temperature back under control. We have also drilled out drain back holes in the head and block to promote proper oiling.

•We have corrected timing chain guide and tensioner failure with new design parts.

•We install a M.L.S. (multi layer steel) head gasket which stops premature head gasket failure from the high heat conditions this engine endures.

Nobody else I've seen seems to specifically call this kind of stuff out. The price is in line with everything else (crate-wise) also. Their warranty is 4 years / 1,000,000 miles.

From what I've seen they correct all known factory issues on all of their motors. Not the cheapest option by far but a good one if your gonna keep it for a while.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am 
Particle Man

Alpine wrote:
SUBARU? wrote:

That is a pretty good warranty.

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have their shoes when you criticize them.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 am 

Ordered this.. my soul screamed after I hit "Submit". That was a lot of money. :/

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:35 am 
Particle Man

Alpine wrote:
Ordered this.. my soul screamed after I hit "Submit". That was a lot of money. :/

Powertrain?

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:40 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Are you going to be able to send them the core within 30 days?

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 pm 

kennedy wrote:
Are you going to be able to send them the core within 30 days?

Yes.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 am 

The old engine is sitting in my driveway, and should get picked up today. The new engine is on the stand, with almost everything reattached. I'm hoping to get it in the vehicle this weekend. :)

Amazon needs to hurry up with my oil pan.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:38 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Sweet! Glad it's working out so far.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 pm 
Male nurse in training

How much was the oil pan from amazon? Mine is REALLY rusty and I'm worried its just one day gonna start leaking..

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:14 am 

It was $90, but you will either need to remove your engine or remove the entire front axle assembly to get to it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:32 pm 
Male nurse in training

hmm really? last time I was under it, it didn't seem that hard. Guess I'll have to look into it more..That sucks if you do.

*edit* dang your right man! Defiantly isn't built like my TJ or YJ.. The TJ and YJ are both so simple to work on. However from what I read its a common problem to have the oil pan rust out.. :td:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:05 am 
Tang Soo

I bought a 4.0 oil pan from JCwhitney with free shipping for less than $100.

The one in my LJ is rusting out.

mac 'looks easy except for the exhaust' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:46 pm 

If you don't lift the engine, or drop the front axle assembly, the pan won't clear the pickup crap in the case.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech