Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions

Post subject: Corner of Airport express and Bluffton Road
 Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:24 am 
Mr. Google

I knwo there is a trail back there because its clear as day on google maps.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=41.00369,-85.173912&daddr=&geocode=FaqqcQIdaFns-g&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=41.06738,-85.15138&sspn=0.171613,0.363579&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16
anyone been there?
does it just result in a tresspass or is it a "super secret" location?

Post subject: Re: Corner of Airport express and Bluffton Road
 Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:07 am 
Pap's mirror

geekyjeep wrote:
I knwo there is a trail back there because its clear as day on google maps.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=41.00369,-85.173912&daddr=&geocode=FaqqcQIdaFns-g&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=41.06738,-85.15138&sspn=0.171613,0.363579&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16
anyone been there?
does it just result in a tresspass or is it a "super secret" location?

LOL. just a heads up, you will get a thousand responses to this one.

it has been there years. ppl have wheeled in there since the early 70's or longer. no one has permission to be in there. there are a handful of us that have gone there regularly but not lately. lately we have a guy on here who has a spot that he takes ppl to. i will let him chime in on that himself. dont want to volunteer anyone for anything.

if you should decide to go in THERE....1st dont not go in THERE alone or really any where alone to wheel. just good practice to have someone whit you(another rig). 2nd if you do go in there, wait till its dry. get the feel for that place before going in with it wet. 3rd be ready for scratches. tight trails and lots of tree limbs in some places. 4th make sure you have recovery points before you go in there. your gonna need them. 5th, IF i remember right, your one of the new KJ guys who just signed up? dont go in there with the libby. on a dry day a libby MIGHT make 25% of the place with damage. and thats a really big MIGHT.

6th when ya do go in and get stuck alone...403 4617 i am about a mile from there. if im home ill come get ya out...probably with more damage. :)

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:55 am 
Mr. Google

lol thats the answer i was looking for!! im aware that i have an increased chance of causing superficial damage just leaving the gravel.

But i will avoid locations liek this that it seems im guranteed to break soemthing... its simply not worth breaking my daily driver over..

That being said.... id love to tag along on some of the other runs.. even if i could meet y'all somewhere and ride along..

having a stock suspension limits my options.. i will have a lift next spring ( taxes) but having fun aside.. having this useable as my daily driver is my main priority.

thanks again! and i look forward to hearing more.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:22 pm 
Baby puncher

i doubt you'd break much but there are some pretty decent sized holes out there.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:25 pm 
Mr. Google

hmm..

well that being said.. ill definetly wait til i get my skids on..

and theres no way ill go solo..

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:06 pm 
Mr. Google

ok,
anyone know about this spot?

( green arrow )

its north of ft wayne south of kendalville

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=+41%C2%B022'5.98%22N+85%C2%B011'52.58%22W&sll=41.130604,-85.12886&sspn=0.685782,1.454315&ie=UTF8&ll=41.367534,-85.197859&spn=0.010677,0.022724&t=h&z=16

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 am 
Jeeper in IN

PAPs has good advice on it.

I went back there with my subaru several times by myself(lone rig). I got lucky and was smart about what I attempted. I never needed towed.

Don't attempt it on a wet day at all.

Also as far a wheeling spots "locally". Just keep in mind that most of them are gonna be private property or no tresspassing areas. The closest park that I know that you can legally wheel, is the badlands.

Just accept the fact that your gonna need permission just about wherever you go around here. Unless you want to take a chance...

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 am 
Mr. Google

not being one to take a chance i plan to spend some time schmoozing with farmers.. im not so much into the tearing stuff up mudding.. i just want to find some nice trail areas.. id love to get permission from the huntington DNR to ride thier access trails.... maybe ill make some calls..

of course.. id like to tag along and get dirty from time to time..

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

the trails in huntington are not illegal to go on but its not that exciting because to be legal you must stay on the access roads they are public roads its just when you go past the cattle gates in certain areas is where its not allowed as long as you stick to the dirt roads your safe. They use these roads as hunter access roads no harm in driving an already made road especially when there are signs that tell you where it T's. The only thing there to do "legally" is one whole and its a pretty deep hole especially after some rain. After a big rain I attempted it without a snorkle and sucked up some water kept the rig running and got lucky. now with snorkle its a fun hole but thats about all there is legal to do there. The rest is off the side of the trails which are actually farmer access roads. I could take you back there sometime if ya'd like i got a couple guys that might cruz with us. O and of course ill have my girl with me she loves wheelin.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:06 pm 
Mr. Google

man that would be a blast.. i have my kid every other week so i get him this friday night through next friday am..

which means im free evenings this week until this friday am..

260*918*3369

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 pm 
Mr. Google

and because of the overbearing cuss filter here theyve changed F.R.I.D.A.Y out for that drinking symbol if yo havent cought that.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:13 pm 
Mr. Google

benbru23 wrote:
to be legal you must stay on the access roads they are public roads its just when you go past the cattle gates in certain areas is where its not allowed as long as you stick to the dirt roads your safe.

All i really want to do honestly is to stick to the dirt roads. I thought that if you went past the gates you would get in trouble even if staying on thier trails.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:50 pm 
Pap's mirror

geekyjeep wrote:
and because of the overbearing cuss filter here theyve changed F.R.I.D.A.Y out for that drinking symbol if yo havent cought that.

oh you have so much to learn young samuri.. those arent in place because of the cussing. its in place because the admin guy is a serious computer builder upper guy with a hell of a sense on humor. dont worry, you will find out soon enough. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!! :eyebrows:

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:51 pm 
Mr. Google

*jr geek shakes fist at sr geeks click happy self!!!* lol

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:25 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

2girls1cup :thing:

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:29 pm 
n00b
n00b

geekyjeep wrote:
benbru23 wrote:
to be legal you must stay on the access roads they are public roads its just when you go past the cattle gates in certain areas is where its not allowed as long as you stick to the dirt roads your safe.

All i really want to do honestly is to stick to the dirt roads. I thought that if you went past the gates you would get in trouble even if staying on thier trails.

it is government owned and we pay for the upkeep of those roads and thats why it is public access as long as your on the designated trails basically if you stay away from the signs that say foot traffic only your ok but recently went back and they had our holes blocked off so its basically a glorified gravel road now.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:34 am 
Jeeper in IN

benbru23 wrote:
geekyjeep wrote:
benbru23 wrote:

it is government owned and we pay for the upkeep of those roads and thats why it is public access as long as your on the designated trails basically if you stay away from the signs that say foot traffic only your ok but recently went back and they had our holes blocked off so its basically a glorified gravel road meow.

I know, I'm digging up an old post and from the sounds of it I've appratently missed out on whatever fun there was to be had, but where are we talking about anyway?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:25 am 
Mr. Google

we switched from meat socks to talking about going out to the huntington resivoir. but the trails i was thinking about are closed to the public.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:39 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I just pulled a guy, who obviously didn't read your post Paps, out that got his Wrangler stuck showing off to his Girlfriend two weeks ago.

---\_/

Rule #1: Get in, Buckle up, Hold on and Enjoy!

Rule #2: Never underestimate a Jeep Driver!

Any Questions?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:19 am 
Anything, I fluff your pillow

JES70 wrote:
I just pulled a guy, who obviously didn't read your post Paps, out that got his Wrangler stuck showing off to his Girlfriend two weeks ago.

and no it wasnt me, lol...I took my new Rio Grande back there with Cam and his lifted Grand and didnt have any issues and mine is just sitting on 31's...

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions