Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Liberty Tech (Long wheelbase) » ZJ Tech

Post subject: tranny issues / crank no start
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:33 am 
Jeeper in IN

hey guys i got my tranny in and everything finally bolted up yesterday. problem is now i have put 8 qts tranny fluid in and its starting to leak out of the dipstick area. if i get the truck started shoould this stop ? i mean the tc has to fill up but other than that im kinda lost cuz i know the dipstick is in all the way ???????

Second part:

i went to start the jeep and it just cranks. i have fuel psi just no spark at the coil or plugs. im thinking crank position sensor cuz i did get the wires caught between the trans and engine when i bolted everything together. does this sound right or am i over looking something ? i check the auto shutdown relay by swappin it out with a known good one.
thx in advance and sry about the long post

Post subject: Re: tranny issues / crank no start
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:34 pm 
Thread Necromancer

There is an O-ring or two on the end of the dipstick, when the dipstick was installed it sounds like maybe one of those Orings got comprimised. Trying pulling the Dipstick out, and checking the Orings and then press it back in.

As for the starting issue, you're probably right about the crank postion sensor.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:54 pm 
Jeeper in IN

kennedy.... is there one or two o-rings for the dipstick ? i have one on it and its sitting in the lip. i can feel it . the tube is down all the way so i dunno

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:24 pm 
Thread Necromancer

on the ZJ I'm not sure, I've seen both.. one or two...
As long as you can see or feel that its in there you should be good, as long as its not pinched or something. Just be sure the dipstick is jammed in there as far as you can get it. Once its in, it should feel like its not comming out.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:36 pm 
Jeeper in IN

yep its not moving so thats good but its also bolted down i feel better now though lol just cant wait til tomorrow so i can get a crank sensor and replace it to see if thats my problem

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:44 pm 
Is it comming out of the top of the dipstick tube? If you put 8 qts in an havent started it yet, its gonna go down quite a bit if the trans has been drained, especially if the torque converter is empty.

As far as the cps, if ya damaged the wires, thats prolly your issue

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:53 am 
Jeeper in IN

fluid is coming out of the bottom of the dipstick where the oring is. im thinking it will be okay once i get the jeep started and fill the tc

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:46 pm 
Jeeper in IN

how can i get the bolts if i accidently dropped them in the bellhousing hole ? can i just remove the inspection cover or does the F****** tranny have to come back out ? thx

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:50 pm 
jrollings wrote:
how can i get the bolts if i accidently dropped them in the bellhousing hole ? can i just remove the inspection cover or does the F****** tranny have to come back out ? thx

:o

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:24 pm 
Thread Necromancer

You should be able to just remove the inspection cover and get them out. Theres a chance that you may need to have the tranny in neatral and manually turn over the engine, with a wrench, to spin the flexplate/converter and make the bolts drop out.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:50 pm 
Jeeper in IN

yes sir kennedy i removed the inspection cover just havent tried turn the motor over by hand yet. ill either give it a shot tonite or work on it in the am. i appreciate all greasy sphincter help/ advice

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:04 am 
Jeeper in IN

well gentlemen i went on my first test drive at 11:00 tonite and all is good so far. (knock on wood) thx for everyones help

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:40 am 
Thread Necromancer

:tu2:

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Liberty Tech (Long wheelbase) » ZJ Tech