Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Liberty Tech (Long wheelbase) » KJ Tech

Post subject: PSA: Liberty owners - check your gas tank straps
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:01 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Mine rusted through and dropped my gas tank onto the highway on the way home today. I had JUST filled it up.

Luckily, I had my tow strap with me. I tied one end to my rear axle. and the other one onto my hitch to hold it in so I could get it home. The tank has a hole in it, and it's slowly pissing my FULL tank of gasoline into the end of my driveway (away from the house).

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post subject: Re: PSA: Liberty owners - check your gas tank straps
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:37 pm 
Male nurse in training

Damn dude! I bet that was a little scary.. Did the jeep shut off when it fell?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:57 pm 

Nope, it was actually still connected to the fuel lines and electric.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:06 am 
Oldman Oprah

Holy crap!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:40 am 
Male nurse in training

Jeeper4Life wrote:
Holy crap!

No kidding, I'm gonna look my 04's over for rust. That's scary..

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:47 pm 

The damned thing is still peeing in my driveway. It takes a REALLY long time to drain a full tank. :(

I'm just glad that gas is so cheap right now.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:27 pm 

Stuck a gas can under it, and opened up the hole in the tank a bit. I managed to recover about 4 gallons - out of the 15 that was in there before it fell off. Better than nothing I suppose.

Anyway, I patched the tank up with a kit made specially for these plastic gas tank. It comes with some really nasty epoxy and some fiberglass (Chris should see where this is going). The good news, is that it holds gas again. The bad news, is that my hands have dried epoxy all over them now. :P I moved the tow strap around and tightened it up. It should hold the tank in until my straps come in. No long road trips, but it should be good enough to take to work.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:22 am 
Male nurse in training

Alpine wrote:
Stuck a gas can under it, and opened up the hole in the tank a bit. I managed to recover about 4 gallons - out of the 15 that was in there before it fell off. Better than nothing I suppose.

Anyway, I patched the tank up with a kit made specially for these plastic gas tank. It comes with some really nasty epoxy and some fiberglass (Chris should see where this is going). The good news, is that it holds gas again. The bad news, is that my hands have dried epoxy all over them now. :P I moved the tow strap around and tightened it up. It should hold the tank in until my straps come in. No long road trips, but it should be good enough to take to work.

why do you always forget to wear gloves? :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:53 pm 
a naked man tit in a highschool locker room

Alpine wrote:

Anyway, I patched the tank up with a kit made specially for these plastic gas tank. It comes with some really nasty epoxy and some fiberglass (Chris should see where this is going)

Don't get it on your hootus

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:37 pm 

So far, the patch is holding quite nicely. I just wish the straps would hurry up and get here. The back looks absolutely hillbilly right now - with a knotted up tow strap holding up the gas tank. :pooping:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:37 am 
Oldman Oprah

I still cannot believe that the acetone we had was specifically fiberglass acetone.

And you'll do anything for baby soft hands, wont you?

Also, to Dave... It wasn't Herc, so his hootus is fine. :)

(Yea, a bunch of private references.. hahahaha)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:55 am 

Yeah - what are the odds of that one? Fucking nothing else we had on hand would even touch it.

On a side note, the epoxy is almost worn off of my fingers now. :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:40 pm 

Broke off some bolts & cut my hand open on the rusty strap. I think I am done. As much as it hurts to get rid of this thing, I believe I have to before it kills me. I can't be under it fixing some fucking thing every other month.

Looking at this: https://davedennis.financing.dealer.com/inventory-detail/print.htm?category=AUTO&itemId=88ade4480a0e0ae8582ae4315d243ea0&print=true

I'm in contact with FCA. Let's see if they can help me out.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:32 pm 
Male nurse in training

Dang dude, I know how you're feeling. I went through the same crap with the red tj. It was always something that needed replaced. Thing was a pile.

My 2016 JKU made it super easy to get rid of too!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:35 pm 

That's my plan. :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:37 pm 
Male nurse in training

Alpine wrote:

Are you gonna go with a 6 speed manual? I wanted to but the wife said no. Oh and I recommend getting the hard top from the factory. It's cheaper to pick up a soft top and hardware later on.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:50 pm 

95YJMan wrote:
Alpine wrote:

Are you gonna go with a 6 speed manual? I wanted to but the wife said no. Oh and I recommend getting the hard top from the factory. It's cheaper to pick up a soft top and hardware later on.

Yep on the 6 speed, and definitely on the hard top. :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:58 pm 
Male nurse in training

Alpine wrote:
95YJMan wrote:
Alpine wrote:

Yep on the 6 speed, and definitely on the hard top. :)

Dude that's gonna be so cool we both are gonna have 2016 JK's! Are you getting it in black?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:36 am 

We'll see what FCA does for me. I'm going to make some calls today.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 pm 

Ok - installed the new gas tank straps tonight. I broke off the two bolts on the front, so I ended up drilling new holes and running very long carriage bolts through the body right next to where the captive nuts are located. It's holding well. :)

Undoubtedly I could keep driving it.. but I am seriously getting tired of working on it every other month. It's going up for sale this spring when my new Unlimited comes in. :D

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:42 am 
Male nurse in training

Alpine wrote:
Ok - installed the new gas tank straps tonight. I broke off the two bolts on the front, so I ended up drilling new holes and running very long carriage bolts through the body right next to where the captive nuts are located. It's holding well. :)

Undoubtedly I could keep driving it.. but I am seriously getting tired of working on it every other month. It's going up for sale this spring when my new Unlimited comes in. :D

So you made the order?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:18 pm 

Not yet

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Liberty Tech (Long wheelbase) » KJ Tech